Red L1

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any thoughts about this light? Anyone have one? Is it worth getting or should I get something else. I just think it'd be something 'cool' and unique to have.
-ERiC

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Pelican L1 *can* become broken (the clip) if it's affixed to something and the light is tugged on, and it's not 100% waterproof, but if you can find an inexpensive source for the LR-44 batteries it needs, it's a decent little light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My take on the L1 is here if you're interested.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
And here I thought he was talking about a SF L1. Oops, glad I didn't throw in my $.02

- Don

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
And here I thought he was talking about a SF L1. Oops, glad I didn't throw in my $.02

[/ QUOTE ]

O o, maybe MTFD17 *DID* mean a SureFire L1 instead of a Pelican L1. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I forgot there were two flashlights named "L1". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasnt aware there was an L1 made by Pelican... Well i was asking about the SF L1.
-ERiC

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican L1 came first and then SureFire had to come along with their 'cheap' copy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Darn them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Pat

McGizmo

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
treek13 said:
Pelican L1 came first and then SureFire had to come along with their 'cheap' copy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Darn them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

So now Pelican comes along with a M6! Does get confusing!

So,.......... back to the SF L1, If you want bright red! The L1 is for you. I haven't seen a stock SF L1 red but have made my own "dumb" red LED bezels for the L1 and the low Vf of the red allows for more current to the LED in both low and high modes. The Red LED's are just plain bright! I think the Red L1 is a good candidate for a beam shaper. You have plenty of light and my experience with colored Luxeons and NX05 optics has been that there are typically some noticable artifacts that can be blended out nicely with a beam shaper.

- Don

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah so the Pelican M6 is their attempt at revenge. Now I get it or I get something anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif.

Yikes, can't these two just get along. I think Surefire is never going to give up the letter and number naming system so I wish Pelican would. Come on be the bigger company, Pelican, make the first move towards peace.

Pat

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire's L1 is a single Luxeon model powered by one SF123A battery.

Pelican's L1 is a single 5mm LED powered by four LR44 batteries.

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire doesn't even understand how to make a cheap copy then. They screwed that up royally; their version must cost a lot more./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Jeez, at least Pelican understands the cheap copy thing, their M6 is much cheaper than the Surefire version.

Pat