DX Mods

84TD

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys, I have been learning a ton from CPF!! I have been searching through threads for literally days off and on about certain mag mods but there is just too much to sift through. I am about to do an order with DX for some other stuff so I wanted to get it all in one shot if possible. I have a bunch of questions, hopefully you guys can help

1. I have a 3aaa led version mag, is there a better LED I can swap into it? All I want to replace is the LED itself, not the driver.

2. DX sells drivers and LEDs, anything good for an old incan 2aa mag? I know many think its not a good start but I have 5 or 6 of the little guys so I want to do something with them. I am ordering a 5 led chinese light to swap the leds into one so 5 to go. I did find the dummy reference guide already but I am looking specifically at DX stuff and under $10ea

3. I have a 6d mag with this.. can I replace the LED in this with an updated version? like an cree R2?

4. Is there a more powerfull battery that will fit inside a 2aa mag body?

5. What are the pros and cons of direct driving an LED? Is there a way to directly drive certain led's in my 2aa mini mags for an easy mod?

I realize I have covered a few threads worth of questions, really appreciate the help.:wave:

allburger

Enlightened
1. I don't think there are any good ways to swap led's on the minimag led's.

2. The first thing you have to find would be a heatsink to mount the led on to. I know they exist, but this isnt going to be an easy mod. For the money to mod, buy some cool lights from DX and drop the minimags. I was there once too and all i wanted to do was upgrade.

3. Yes you can replace the led on that. I would not recommend a cree led for a maglite reflector though. The beam angle that luxeons emit is much wider than that of a cree led. This causes an unappealing beam if you ask me. It has a very small spot that doesnt seem to be as bright as it should. I prefer an ssc p4 as a swap as they have similar emitting angle.

4. Yes, there are batteries called 14500 which are the size of AA batteries but they are li-ion and charge to 4.2v. They are rechargeable and you need a li-ion charger. You can run these in a minimag but you have to get a ceramic socket and a streamlight bulb. I believe this is called the aurora minimag mod.

5. Ok, this is an interesting one. One that I thought about when I was first getting started on here. LED's want ~3.6v to light to the brightest point. On 2 AA batteries you are giving it ~3v. How you overcome this is with a boost circuit from DX. You will see that they have input voltage of 3v and an output of 3.6v.