quality battery tray ideas?

shelbysguns

Newly Enlightened
:wave:Hi ok this is my first post so if the mod want to move this feel free,
Ok so im looking into trying out my hand at the M@G ROP mod but the battery holders are... a little expensive.:broke::shrug: Ill be getting some later but first i want to start easy. Sooo, I know that there are some pretty skilled guys on here and i was wondering if one of them could make a high quality 3XAA to D converter. Like the KD ones but stonger with better contacts. I think this would be possible? :confused::thinking::huh:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
By expensive, I guess you're referring to the $40 ones that Fivemega makes and sells? Yeah his battery holders are top notch, eventhough they are a bit pricey. Your next best option are the ones made and sold by mdocod:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195976

His are around half of what the Fivemega ones cost and are very well made along with having high performance. Depending on the Maglite you're using, you want to get the right adapter accordingly (3AA, 6AA, 9AA, etc) as no one makes good 3AA-to-1D adapters that are stackable. The ones Kaidomain sells work, but they have alot of resistance in them and can heat up and melt on you. Honestly when it comes to anything battery related, you don't want to skimp too much as it could become hazardous.

Last edited:

shelbysguns

Newly Enlightened
i know but i thought since every one here who is new has asked about them it seems like an idea? maybe fivemega or mdocod could make one?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know but i thought since every one here who is new has asked about them it seems like an idea? maybe fivemega or mdocod could make one?

Yeah there's really no worthwhile way to make a 3AA-to-1D converter that is both low resistance and stackable. I'm sure it can be done, but seems to make no sense to do being that the cost would be more. That's why you see different models specific to the Mag you're using (6AA, 9AA, 12AA, etc.), and so you have to do it that way. Besides, I really don't see much of an advantage using individual 3AA-to-1D battery trays...sure it gives you a little more flexibility, but not so much it's worth the added cost. I remember a while ago, I urged the original Jerry at KD to design and come out with their own high quality battery holders and he told me that it would be too expensive to do. That just goes to show you that these kinds of battery adapters are more a niche product for flashlight enthusiasts than they are for average people who have a mild interest in flashlights. You could message mdocod about it, but I think he'll tell you something similar to what I'm saying. Also, his battery holders are the best priced high quality adapters you can get right now.