Light for my dad? Any Help!?!

Viper715

Enlightened
I talked to my dad last night and he was complaining about the light he has been using. Some no name $20 flashlight he bought at a truck stop(he's a truck driver). He said he has had it for less than 2 months and the lens has fallen out of it. He is pretty hard on stuff but I told him that if he would just spend $50-$100 on a light he wouldn't break it and it beats getting a new one every two months. He likes simple things so no convoluted ui's like the ones I like. He wants it to be bright enough to see the length of the truck and he will be using it mainly for truck checks, cleaning out the trailer and then doing his log book. I'm thinking a two stage light. He also wants it to be at least a 2 AA light like the one he has he said that he likes the size. I was thinking about the Fenix L2T V2.0 and then I saw the pre-order for the new EagleTac P100A I think. Having problems deciding.

L2T: Pro; a lower low for working on logs. No cons really

EagleTac: Pro; substantially brighter. Con; the low isn't quite as low as I think it should be.

Does anyone have some thoughts opinions or better ideas. Let me know also I was thinking are there any simple three stage lights out there. Like I said this light needs to be very user friendly and very sturdy. Thanks for any help.

Toaster

Enlightened
I think the Eagletac P100A2 may be a good choice for your dad. We should be seeing some first hand reports on it by the end of the week if you can wait till then. The one nice thing I noticed is that it has a standard 25mm diameter head. So you can slip on an Olight or Surefire diffuser to get a nice broad flood for up close use.

As much as I love the TK20 I don't think it's a great choice for you dad. He would probably appreciate something a bit less throw oriented since his needs are primarily short/medium range lighting.

ecallahan

Enlightened
I really like my TK20. The low mode should be good for checking around his truck, and working inside the trailer. The low is too bright for inside, looking at his log etc. Maybe you should get him a second smaller light with a low mode, then he will have a backup available.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2 TK20, then get him a Fenix E01 on a neck lanyard so he will always have a light on him.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
All of those are good lights. Maybe you should send him a few links and see which one he likes best.

Viper715

Enlightened
He's not really a computer person. He doesn't have one actually. He has problems operating his cell phone that's why I want simple ui. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2T does sound like a good choice... but isn't the low way too bright for paperwork?

Aside from being 2xCR123, I think the E2L Ourdoorsman would be a good choice... with the FO4 diffuser and 3 lumens, the low would be wonderful as a paperwork light and run forever, practically.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you nailed it with your initial thinking behind the Fenix L2T. First of all, it's a proven, reliable platform with a lifetime warranty if bought from 4sevens.com. It's got a simple 2 level UI with a high that is bright enough for general use and a low that is low enough for closeup work.

Add either of these Eneloop charger/battery combos and your Dad will be set:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IV0RD6/?tag=cpf0b6-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IV0REA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I like the 2 bay charger because it allows you to charge only one cell at a time if you want, but since he might only need to charge 2 at a time, the 4 bay charger might be better for him.