TRUSTFIRE CHARGER EXPLODED! URGENT. Need QUALITY charger.

unique

Enlightened
I have this charger (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4151) well use to NOW, and had just finished charging my AW 123's. I had forgotten them in the charger for about an hour so I quickly ran over to find the batteries charged since it was now a green LED.
But the light was very faint and I picked up the charger, as soon as I did the LED's completely went out.

So I took out my batteries and unpluged the charger to replug it in because the LED's wouldn't light up at all.
As I went to plug it in, BANG, the thing exploded on me..

I'm just very grateful that I FIRST took out my AW's.

After looking on DX, I found out it happened to someone else as well!

http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/Default.dx/sku.4151~threadid.207508

Mine is not as bad as that though. But it was terryfing that the thing exploded in my hands, thank god my face was not near it or anything.

So right now, I'm chargerless and in need of one ASAP, will need to purchase one even tonight!

I will want a QUALITY charger that can comfortably charge AW's Protected R123A AND Protected 18650
So long they also send to Australia, I would buy one here but I have no clue where one would be sold (if any) and I'm sure the prices will be way too high.

So you have been warned, it just happened to me and obviously other people. Don't buy cheap electronic crap from DX!! Lesson learnt :shakehead

EDIT: Just quickly looked through other threads regarding this charger, it has happened to A LOT of other people as well. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the first one I ever got was faulty, that should have been a good warning sign, but stupid me asked DX to send out another.

Last edited:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: URGENT. Need QUALITY charger. TRUSTFIRE CHARGER EXPLODED!

I'm sorry to hear of your mishap, and glad to hear that nobody was hurt.

OK then. The first step would be do a search on CPF, which would yield the answers you were after... and warnings regards to those Chinese chargers.

The second step would be to post your request in the correct section of CPF. It's currently in general flashlight when it should be in the battery section.

Failing that, you could try here.

A hobby charger would be ideal. If you have a power supply it will supply your power needs for any reasonable charging that you will do. Something like the turnigy accucel 6 from hobbycity/hobbyking would be perfect. You'd get away for about $50 USD. I have one and am quite satisfied. If you'd like a big name, a triton would be perfectly suitable. Hobby chargers will allow you to charge LiIon/LiFe/LiPo and NiMh/NiCd and lead acid - very flexible and configureable. You'd be able to charge packs, balance charge, charge a variety of chemistries as I mentioned, discharge, etc.

Failing that, the Pila IBC charger is otherwise a common recommendation for a quality li ion charger. I'm not sure how much that costs but think under $75 USD as a ballpark figure.

Last edited:

LightJaguar

Enlightened

Well you got the one of the cheapest of the cheaper chargers. I think AW used to or still sells the Ultrafire 139. From what I have heard and from experience that seems like an OK charger. I have used lots of them and so far not trouble yet.
However I'm planning on buying a much better charger for my Lithium Ion batteries.

DM51

Flashaholic

I'm very glad to hear you are OK.

I'll move your thread to the "Smoke and Fire" section.

unique

Enlightened

Thanks for the reply but I'm still wary of these cheap chinese brand chargers. Is there a simple charger that could charge my AW's Protected R123A AND Protected 18650 without having to do any mods, etc to the charger? I'm not technically minded at all to do those things.
I checked out the turnigy accucel 6 and have no clue what to do with something like that :S

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thing you're not hurt. Yes, that particular charger has a history of malfunctions and explosion, but the one I got from AW, WF-139, seems reliable til this day. And this model is carried by 4Sevens too, if it counts for anything. :shrug:

Last edited:

unique

Enlightened
Thanks zerul, I just purchased the AW-139 from fenix-store. Only because of there good rep with customers and I have bought other items from them in the past.

I'm still scared on using chargers like this, but hopefully you can put my mind at ease.
How long/and how many times have you used the charger?

Is there anything that I should not do/watch out for with these?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks zerul, I just purchased the AW-139 from fenix-store. Only because of there good rep with customers and I have bought other items from them in the past.

I'm still scared on using chargers like this, but hopefully you can put my mind at ease.
How long/and how many times have you used the charger?

Is there anything that I should not do/watch out for with these?

I have not been using this charger for long, about 2 months? Like you initially, I was desperate for rechargeable batteries and a charger that can take most types of batteries, and that's when AW got into the picture. I charge my batteries about once every 3-4 days. And I ALWAYS ALWAYS look out for the full-charged green led to let me know that I should turn it off immediately.

Hope WF-139 will be useful to you as it is to me..... so far. :aaa:

Last edited:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess with a name like TrustFire, you have to trust that there will be a fire.

Be thankful there was no ultra fire.

unique

Enlightened
hahaha!
Thanks Zeruel :)

I always do look out for the green LED though this time it completely slipped my mind while I was doing things around the home, as soon as I realised I literally stopped what I was doing and ran over to it to find it functioning really weird.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have not done so already, I highly recommend you purchase the Pila IBC and be done with it. Although you should still take precautions, you will be better off by far with this charger. More often than not, you do get what you pay for.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it me or most of the failures I have read about have been when used on 220V-240V?
It would not surprise me. I had a cellphone charger that overheated and failed when used on 240 V for a period of time. I suspect that even though items might have "100 - 240 V AC" written on the label, the claim might be rather optimistic and the internal components not up to the challenge. If a device is not specifically manufactured and sold for a 220-240 V market there is always going to be a risk of premature failure.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

The Pila IBC is the best of the uncomplicated 2-bay Plug'n'play type chargers. There's a Group Buy for it here in the MP.

Unique, glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing incident with us.

I also recommend the Pila IBC charger. The extra cost is worth the peace of mind. DM51, I think that GB has been closed for a few weeks, with no indication that there will be others.

unique

Enlightened

thanks guys, I did buy the ultrafire. And looking at reviews from DX, and here, it seems like nothing major has happened with the ultrafires besides some malfunctioning. And I emailed fenix-store and asked what will happen if it decides to screw up after the 30 day return policy and they said they will gladly arrange something after 30 days, return, refund exchange etc :)

p.s is there anywhere where I can see a picture of this Pila IBC charger.

Oh yeah, on another note, today I went to a hardware store and bought a Varta AA/AAA four bay charger :)

http://www.en.varta-consumer.com/content.php?path=/1184751937.html&&domain=www.en.varta-consumer.com

Last edited:

sygyzy

Enlightened

Can the Pila IBC charge R123's?

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Sygyzy,

Yes.

However, you need to come up with an additional spacer to insure contact with the cell.

Tom