New Apple iPod Shuffle- Novatac-ish UI?

gsxrac

Enlightened
Man im in a completley different boat! I just recieved my new 120T yesterday and im obsessed with the UI! I guess to each his own. But yea the new shuffle does look like itd be hard to use but I cant put in a real opinion on one until I actually use it :thumbsup:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/11/the-new-ipod-shuffle-explained/
Now I remember why I'm not a fan of lights that use the novatac style interface, you gotta remember what commands do what and when they change the UI, you gotta relearn it

Well, there's only so much you can do with a small form factor like that. You can't have an individual button for every function, there's just not enough room.

In the case of the HDS type single button interface, the idea is that you don't need to fish around for the right button in an emergency. In a way it is more complex, but in another way it is much simpler. Different strokes for different folks.

If you don't like it, then don't buy it. Lord knows there are plenty of small form factor .mp3 players and flashlights to choose from.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novatac's UI is simple once you get the programming set. I know how to change the brightness level, but if I have to change any other features, I know I won't be able to do so without a manual.

Another one that's even more complex is MJP Extreme III. I lost patient in figuring out how to adjust the light, so I kept it at default 50% and 15%.

Flashlight Enthusiast
By memory I can do everything with my 120P I'd need to. It's simple 3 clicks then click and hold for special options. You'd only use the first 4 or so, 2 clicks then click and hold while on one of the 3 levels you want to reprogram them.

Seems easy to me.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Real problem is you can't use your expensive Shure headphones since there's no 'play' button on them x_x

To take this off-topic in a complete other way, I got the idea to include a Novatac knockoff UI in a shooter - after considering the Half-Life 2 suit light eating power at the same rate as power-assisted armor I decided it should probably be split into a 200-lumen LED torch (no 'battery meter'), and a 2000-watt HID that turns night into day, paints a huge 'shoot me' sign on you, blinds dudes, and kills your suit battery in thirty seconds :D

Last edited: