Annoying problem with a vintage NovaTac SPA Defense SPL-120

LRJ88

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure i've managed to isolate the issue. The flashlight's been randomly blinked and at times it's blinked as if it's switched over to secondary mode before turning off. It's reacted to hot and cold, and the flashlight's acting like OP's described now. I'm going to get some capton tape, clean all of this up, and make sure it's all nice and polished before reassembling it.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's the spring…… my post wasn't for naught. There's several threads describing this issue exactly.

LRJ88

Enlightened
it's the spring…… my post wasn't for naught. There's several threads describing this issue exactly.
I appreciate you mentioning this, but so far i've already stretched it, i've trimmed off a piece not needed and made sure it doesn't short out from that. The spring is fine. The membrane isn't.
IMG_5896.jpeg

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
No-Oxit Gold should clean it. You can also use a piece of 120 grit sand paper on a firm flat surface to allow even de-corrosive elimination, has to be flat and even or the risk of non-functioning may occur. Be sure to also treat the springs contact surfaces with De-Oxit. Those contact surfaces on the inside may also need some fine steel wool de-oxidizing, also needs to be done perpendicular to the inside surfaces followed by No-Oxit. Do not use a knife to clean oxidation from the inside of the aluminum ring, it risks tearing the screen and not allowing proper spring contact.
Let us know how You are making out.

Last edited:

LRJ88

Enlightened
New developments: i've taken apart the switch and cleaned it out, there was glue from the tape sitting lodged underneath the membrane along with some debris of unknown origin. The flashlight still exhibits issues, but the issues aren't reliant on either the signal spring or tailcap at this point, something verified by taking the spring out completely and letting the light sit there. Within 5 minutes the light flashed on its own without further input, the same behaviour as shown with the wire in even when it's turned on. It seems to be driver-related now, something which might be related to the unknown debris inside the membrane as well, or just a bad cap after some years. Possibly even a bad solder joint since it seems to depend on temperature as well.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm suggesting You examine the driver contact surfaces. Many other lights have a gold plated contacting aluminum design.
If the driver is not glued, remove it and treat all the connecting contacts that are aluminum/Gold. A pencil eraser will clean gold contacts. Sorry to hear the light's issues are still there and bugging You.

LRJ88

Enlightened
I'm writing this carefully as to not jinx it, but i'm half sure it's fixed now. I had to remove the bezel first to make sure nothing could be damaged on the die side, then torque my snap ring pliers hard first counter-clockwise, followed by clockwise to break the red loctite on the threads. It was in hard enough to permanently bend the pliers, but the loctite wasn't the sole villain in this; there's more glue-like gunk and the aforementioned unknown debris under the retaining ring and seemingly seeping out from inside the driver housing.

The ring got a thorough rinse and deep cleaning first with a needle and toothpicks, followed by a few turns on my leather strap to polish it and then rinsed again with isopropyl alcohol, the board got a similar treatment with the goop being first poked off with a toothpick, then rubbed off with a q-tip and alcohol, lastly lightly polished and rinsed off. I tried to get as much of the sticky stuff out of the driver housing as possible, then slapped it all together while it was still all nice and clean.

As i began my post with i hope i don't jinx this now, but the light managed to stay on from a good while before i went to bed to when i woke up and turned it off, 5 and a half hours. I can't promise this'll last or if it's just a lucky fluke right now, but so far i'm happy with it.

My last thoughts for now in regards to this are that i'd very much like to know what could have caused aforementioned glue-like gunk and the debris, i've tried to find old pics of the inside of the drivers but many have been lost to time and hosting issues. If anyone has any info i'd be grateful.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats!
You have done what was needed done. I would disassemble and use a no-oxide gel to coat the surfaces cleaned that have allowed the proper function. You can order it on-line or visit Lowes or HomeDepot to obtain the no-ox paste that will inhibit your problem from coming back. As I mentioned, the aluminum and gold contacts will cause problems over time, that a no-ox paste/liquid will inhibit. Glad to hear You got t all working again.
Take Care
GL