what cheap light to run with zinc carbon AAAs?

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
the headline says it best.

now i need a cheap AAA led light that works with the zc batteries.

would fenix e01 do fine?

has anyone any experience with these batteries and modern leds?

i guess its pointless to try to get a highpower led light for these as i think i have read somewhere that zinc carbons are several times weaker than alkalines.

but i ended up with 20 pieces of zinc carbon AAA batteries.. yeah the old ..no thats old old school batteries. (they were free)

thought that they had become extinct by now.. you know replaced by alkalines ..say 10 years ago?

but no.. Philips Longlife and they are supposed to be good for 10/2010.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Any light designed to work on AAA's should work fine, just not as long. The little flex-light I just got at Ace Hardware actually came with a zinc-carbon. I've used it to read for maybe and hour now and haven't noticed any dimming. The E01 should do okay. I'd definitely use them up in something.

Geoff

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
what an excuse to buy new light (s) .. free batteries that need to be used!

hahah crafty as an fox, i am.

remote controls might be useful. hmm that might take 6-8pcs(most used ones have rechargables in them)

hmm.. not a bad idea. need to go look for a flexlight.. that might come actually handy.

just hope i find a cheap one somewhere.
i see no sense paying 20$ for light so i can use free batteries :) 10 should be max. and fenix gets a chance even its more than that, as everyone seems to like it.

wally world is too far away from me. (from europe)
but there might be similar stuff sold in other cheapstores.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of these for 99p (clearance) at ASDA for this reason. I won't lose sleep if cheap batteries leak in it. I'm not expecting good runtime though.

xfocus112torch.jpg

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
marduke.. there are other reasons..

im sure there are..
and good reasons that is..
somewhere..
i know there are..
there must be!
right??

hahhahah.. :crackup:

oh well..
wonder if i should buy that cheap 3 aaa powered dx zoom in light that i have been thinking for few months.. with it i could use 3 batteries at the time!

but e01 might come handy even after i´ve run out of these 18.. (only 2 was needed in remotecontrols)

but with its runtime.. that might take few years.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get an E01..... then decide it's too good for crap cells and put a lithium in it... then go back to searching for a cheap AAA light. :)

BBnet3000

Newly Enlightened
id almost suggest something with a higher drain than the e01, lol.

i have a few alkalines laying around that i just decided to spend before they expire, and im putting the AAAs into my 3xAAA led lenser (how perfect that i have 3)

its the perfect light to do it with because it has pretty poor battery life. if i used my e01 they would probably expire before i used them up. i carry it with me and use it somewhat often, but if you only use a light a few minutes a week (i use it to see the keyhole when i come in at night, and whenever else i need a light, which isnt that often) it takes forever to use up a battery that lasts 10 hours.... well, not sure if id get 10 hours before it started to dim on alks, but thats how long it lasts with nimh

that said, the e01 is a good suggestion because its a light you could use with real rechargeables once your crappy batteries are done.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I suggest the Streamlight Stylus Pro 2xAAA- the LED head runs very nicely from 1xAAA alkaline (in the MicroStream) as well as 2xAAA in the Stylus Pro, so performance should be more than adequate with 2xAAA zinc-carbon's. The price is higher than the OP's limit ($19) but it is a very nice penlight that should serve for much longer than the 10 Zn-C AAA's will. :cool:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
bought something locally..

Husqwarna Led Torch
3 AAA

package says:

140lumens
8 hours (maximum output: 4hrs)
momentary button and cliky on.
with twist focus control head.
2w nichia white led
29m diameter and 102mm long
102grams with batteries
carrying strap.
came with 3 duracell AAAs
has a batterycarrier. (the springs feel and look weak)
zoom woks by turning the head.
its almost full turn (315 degrees or so)

turns from squarish tight spot to wide round one.
zoom lense does not make prettiest beam. -visible rings.. actually one brighter one makes it look hmm weird. there is no huge evil black ring.
but color of the tint was a ok. (not evil blue)

chugged the duracells to storage and loaded it with the zincs.

i saw when these came to carsupply/general stuff store about a month ago.. considered it then but the 3aa thing turned me away from it.. and the price as it was equal to about 20$. also the 2watt nichia sounded odd. heard of 1w and 3w.. not 2w.

now today when i went there to return a part that didnt fit my car, i saw the last one in the shelf.

hmm.. over 30 of them sold in a month.. so others seem to like it too..

so i had to buy it. haha..

Latest posts