C2 or E2E

CUTiger3

Newly Enlightened
I'm a Newbie here and wanted to say this is a great site! I've already purchased a Inova X5T, Infinity Ultra, and Arc AAA. These are great lights but, now I'm looking for my first Surefire EDC. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I will limit my choices to the C2 or E2E. These lights will be carried in a leather pouch on my belt, so I don't believe size will be a great factor. I'm leaning towards the C2 because of the accessories. What are your thoughts? TIA

Catapult

Enlightened
It all goes downhill from here. Not even a penny is spared from the effects of flashaholism!

There are a line of accessories for both the SureFire C2 and E2e. The C2 is bigger and brighter. The E2e is smaller and dimmer. (-1)+1 or 1+(-1). It's what you use it for and how you use it.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
In my opinion, you can accesorize the E2E/E2O far more than the C2. Actually, you can add the hardware to the E2E/E2O to make it perform like a C2. This allows you to run it stock when you want the small size, then add to it when you need higher output.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

I'd automatically suggest you get an E2e-HA however your intended method of carry does mean you can carry and use a "standard body" sized model.

The C2 currently has the P61 High Output Lamp Assembly as an optional extra. Anything else and you'll need a different pouch because it involves increasing the Bezel size:
Shock Isolated "M2" Bezel
KL3 1W Luxeon
KL5 5W Luxeon (not yet released)
TurboHead (KT1-HA)

Or increasing the length of the TailCap switch:
Z48 Clickie TailCap
Z59 Mini Clickie TailCap (not yet released)

Although you intend to carry the C2 in a pouch, I suggest the Hard Anodised (HA) version is a better investment as it won't age as fast due to it's increased durability finish compared to standard Black (BK)

The C2 has a CombatGrip - if this is important to you then an A19 body extender to convert the C2 to a three SF123A model or a KR2 rechargeable conversion kit will mean the CombatGrip can not be used. The black finish of the A19 & KR2 will look strange on a Hard Andoised model.

In my opinion getting a "C2 because of the accessories" may mean you do carry the C2 as you intend.

The E2e-HA as a number of accessories and options and I think it's one of the best SureFires to get as your first one.

Al

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
a while ago, i would have recommended the c2...
but with news of the kl4 coming out within the next 10years...i would suggest the e2e /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

in case you dont' know...the kl4 is a 5w head for the e2e /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

freewheelin'

Enlightened
I've not had a C2 but I much prefer my E2E over my C3. Size could be a factor here. But maybe not, to me the E2E is just more comfortable in my hand, pocket or belt.
But you couldn't go far wrong with either.

Oh hell get both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
freewheelin' said:
I've not had a C2 but I much prefer my E2E over my C3. Size could be a factor here. But maybe not, to me the E2E is just more comfortable in my hand, pocket or belt.
But you couldn't go far wrong with either.

Oh hell get both. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When you wear on your belt, do you use the small or larger clip?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would say go with the C2. it has much more accessories for it, and since size isn't a factor then the E2e would be inferior in some ways. the C2 produces a tighter beam that throws further, and i cannot emphasize how useful the grip rings on the C2 are, which the E2e lacks. the grip rings prevent the light from slipping out of your hand no matter which position you hold it in.

if the C2 came in hard anodized black, i would suggest that but since it doesn't, just go for the regular HA. if you don't mind you light looking a little beat up then the normal black is fine too (my C2 is black). i initially had an E2e, but sold it and got a C2 instead so i'm speaking from experience here.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Sounds like a similar question erupts often here-- the new member's debate over SF's most affordable HA3 lights. I've been there.

The advice is good, get the E2e. I find myself shying away from the SF construction set in the field, preferring two separate lights for two separate uses. Thus I carry the E2e and a C3. I've got the 9P/SRTH for dark that isn't close up.

I would recommend you look at the F04 beamshaper for the E2e. Best $8 I ever spent. Helps calm down the hotspot for indoors.

AluminumOvercast

Enlightened
I never wear mine on a belt. Always clipped to the edge of my pocket. The unit tends to rotate when clipped to a belt, that's where a nylon holster comes into play.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
i would say go with the C2. it has much more accessories for it, and since size isn't a factor then the E2e would be inferior in some ways. the C2 produces a tighter beam that throws further, and i cannot emphasize how useful the grip rings on the C2 are, which the E2e lacks. the grip rings prevent the light from slipping out of your hand no matter which position you hold it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's odd, i've never had a grip problem with my E2e or anything for that matter. the rubber grommets on the C2 only make it difficult to draw from a pocket in my experience. unless you use this light with a pistol and that's another ball park entirely.

i've compared the beams of both and saw little difference, not enough to justify carrying the bulky C2 over the E2e.

i've never had a need or used acc's.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
tkl: sometimes when i prefer to hold the C2 (or any other small flashlight) in a more comfortable position, i put the body of the flashlight on top of my last two fingers, with my second and middle finger wrapped around it and my thumb pressing on the tailswitch. without the grip ring it still is possible, but i would have to grip the light more tightly and rely on friction to keep it from slipping. in the case of the E2/E2e the tailswitch is noticeably stiffer than the C2, so the situation is made worse.

in the usual overhand method, i find i can also hold the C2 with a more relaxed grip, relying on the grip ring as a physical obstruction, instead of relying on friction to keep the light from slipping out of my hand. lastly the position in which the grip ring is designed to be used for (roger/surefire) feels very natural to me; no odd contortions of the wrist needed to point the light directly up or down like in the "tactical" position or the normal position that maglites are usually held in.

hope that made sense...if not, let me know and i'll try to post some pictures taken with a lousy webcam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
tkl: sometimes when i prefer to hold the C2 (or any other small flashlight) in a more comfortable position, i put the body of the flashlight on top of my last two fingers, with my second and middle finger wrapped around it and my thumb pressing on the tailswitch. without the grip ring it still is possible, but i would have to grip the light more tightly and rely on friction to keep it from slipping. in the case of the E2/E2e the tailswitch is noticeably stiffer than the C2, so the situation is made worse.

in the usual overhand method, i find i can also hold the C2 with a more relaxed grip, relying on the grip ring as a physical obstruction, instead of relying on friction to keep the light from slipping out of my hand. lastly the position in which the grip ring is designed to be used for (roger/surefire) feels very natural to me; no odd contortions of the wrist needed to point the light directly up or down like in the "tactical" position or the normal position that maglites are usually held in.

hope that made sense...if not, let me know and i'll try to post some pictures taken with a lousy webcam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

aha! you use the combat grip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif yes, i find i do the same thing when holding a sf with the grommets.

this is a good grip but drawing from a pocket was a bear. it's better off in a holster, i don't like holsters.

CUTiger3

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to thank everyone for the input. After reading through the posts, I've made my decision /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm going to purchase the E2E HA. I've purchased three LED lights in the past month, so I related my decision to another "hobby" that I enjoy...Knives

When I started to rationalize my purchase I realizied that the E2E HA would not be my ONLY Surefire, but my FIRST!

As as been said before...Let the games begin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif