Ra Clicky vs. LiteFlux LF3XT for EDC

johnfolsomjr

Newly Enlightened
So I'm looking for a new EDC light and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Ra Clicky or the LifeFlux LF3XT due to the amount of customization I can do to the UI. Does anyone have opinions one way or the other, or should I be looking somewhere else?

oldpal

Enlightened
So I'm looking for a new EDC light and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Ra Clicky or the LifeFlux LF3XT due to the amount of customization I can do to the UI. Does anyone have opinions one way or the other, or should I be looking somewhere else?

I have a LF3XT and like it very much. There are, as you probably know, many posts on this forum praising the Liteflux. I can't help you with the RA Clicky since I don't own one, but I would like to.

I was just about to fire off a post asking opinions comparing the RA Clicky with the RA EDC and maybe the Novatac 120E. I hate to barge in on your post, but maybe both of use can get some helpful info.

Hugh

Creecher

Newly Enlightened
I'm liking the look of this thread already :twothumbs
The Liteflux looks great and is top of my wishlist at the moment as you seem to get a lot for the money, but the RA Clicky and Novatac also keep winking at me. 3 really good lights.

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened
I don't have any experience with the LF3XT, but had a LF5XT and the beam was great, along with the customization. I just couldn't handle the noise and the delayed on, so it's no longer with me. I EDC a Ra Clicky and it's great, solid as can be, awesome beam as well. If Liteflux fixes those two minor annoyances I'll be picking one up, but not till then.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
As a real LF3XT fanboy and not a Ra owner I might not be qualified to comment. I have heard two Novatac (similar to Ra) owners say they prefer the LiteFlux. Maybe this is not a valid comparison. Another point would be the size. If you will be using a pouch, no problem, but the LF3XT should be a bit more pocket friendly.

Geoff

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an LF3XT and currently have a Ra Clicky. If I had to pick one of the two it would be the Clicky. The LF3XT is great because of the 2 UI's but I actually prefer the Clicky's UI probably because I've had HDS and Novatac lights. I also found the pointy parts of the tail to bother me when pocket carrying. I'm sure the Liteflux is durable enough but the Clicky is close to bombproof. It's also nice to be able to correspond with a light's designer should problems arise. Both are great lights, I just prefer the Clicky overall.

oldpal

Enlightened
I had an LF3XT and currently have a Ra Clicky. If I had to pick one of the two it would be the Clicky. The LF3XT is great because of the 2 UI's but I actually prefer the Clicky's UI probably because I've had HDS and Novatac lights. I also found the pointy parts of the tail to bother me when pocket carrying. I'm sure the Liteflux is durable enough but the Clicky is close to bombproof. It's also nice to be able to correspond with a light's designer should problems arise. Both are great lights, I just prefer the Clicky overall.

Yes, but is the RA EDC as well built as the RA Clicky? I really don't mind that it is 120 lumens max compared to 140 lumens max for the Clicky.

Hugh

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
i just sold my lf3xt to get my clicky edc 120.

i had no complaints with the liteflux. the build quality and features were excellent. the size of the light was perfect.

so why did i swap it for a ra clicky?

i like direct access to all the levels, as opposed to cycling. i like the runtime on high. i like the overbuilt feel and the pocket clip. and, i like henry, his support for his lights, and the fact that the ra is made in the u.s.a.

for me, the biggest tradeoff is size and direct access to levels.

oldpal

Enlightened
i just sold my lf3xt to get my clicky edc 120.

i had no complaints with the liteflux. the build quality and features were excellent. the size of the light was perfect.

so why did i swap it for a ra clicky?

i like direct access to all the levels, as opposed to cycling. i like the runtime on high. i like the overbuilt feel and the pocket clip. and, i like henry, his support for his lights, and the fact that the ra is made in the u.s.a.

for me, the biggest tradeoff is size and direct access to levels.

Well I'll go along with you about the Made in USA. I'm not going to sell my LF3XT, but believe I'll get a 120EDC-E.

Hugh

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
btw,

made in u.s.a. is a plus for me, not a deal breaker.

i sold the lf3xt so i could buy the clicky... i don't "collect" lights, and don't like to keep too many lights when i only need a couple.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a LF3XT, owned a LF5XT, and hope to soon own a Clicky (but not at the expense of my LF3XT :ironic:). The LF3XT amazes me on many levels. First, the build quality is the best I've seen under $100, and often over $100. Second, the beam is perfect, a very rare feat using a CREE XR-E LED. Third, the price is far below what I'd expect. And last, the UI, but that is subjective - you may like the LF3XT or Clicky UI better, and can probably decide based on reading.

I do however have a few problems with it. The whine is annoying, but not nearly as bad as my LF5XT was. Unlike the LF5XT, you cannot acess momentary high directly from off, but have to turn it on first (which now has no delay). And the switch has a fairly long travel, considering that you have to depress it all the way to activate it.

The reason I'm looking into the Clicky is the quality and possibly the UI. Compared to the LF3XT, I don't think it offers many other advantages, which is not very good considering the huge price difference. Then again, post :broke:, quality always seems worth it :D

litework

Newly Enlightened
I own a LiteFlux LF3XT, Ra Clicky Executive, and Novatac 120P and they are all very good lights. I will say that for all the hype surrounding the ruggedness of Ra and Novatac, my LiteFlux is the only one of the three samples I own that has not been returned to the dealer for warranty repair.

I find myself carrying the LiteFlux a lot. It's smaller than my Novatac and much smaller than my Ra. It has an easy UI that doesn't require a ridiculus amount of clicks to get to. It's just a solid, functioning light that serves its purpose well. I will say that both the Novatac and the Ra are a bit brighter (the Ra being the brightest at night) while retaining a very similar, artifact free beam.

If anyone wants the skinny on any of these lights, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'd be more than happy to discuss the pros and cons of each of these lights as I see them.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I don't have a Clicky yet, but I will one day. I have several NovaTac and they are the best in terms of UI for me. I also have the LiteFlux LF3XT and it really is a nice night for the price. Its biggest advantage is its smaller size compared to the NovaTac, every little bit helps when it comes to EDC.

The NovaTac I find is a lot easier to program and is actually more customizable because of the Forced-Option and some other tricks really allow you to change the UI more than just set the levels or number of levels. I have the LF3-XT and NovaTacs setup for 3 levels. The lightflux is just big enough that I'd probably like a clip on it for cargo pocket carry and anti-roll. The missing clip is a small issue. Sometimes size really is important and if an LD01 or P1D was not the right tool the LF3-XT could probably workout. I smoothed the sharp edges on the tail, they bothered me.

Although I like the LF3-XT I feel the NovaTac wins quite easily in almost all situations.

Now if I had a Clicky, with a clip I liked, I'd probably carry that most of the time. It is getting to be just a little too big for EDC, I carry a Twisty in my coat most of the time, but I'd have a hard time with it in a pocket. The Clicky would be Cargo pant or coat carry only for me because of its size. Depending on carry method the size may not be an issue.

Of course if I had a coat with me I'd have a few lights and I always carry the handle LD01-SS with the keys.

Sector7

Enlightened
I prefer the Clicky for EDC because it has a pocket clip, tough durability, and no delay in tactical momentary or instant on. It can step up or step down from the current memory light level. Dang if only that LF3XT had a pocketclip.

Axion

Enlightened
I'm going through this same decision process right now. I'm really leaning towards the LF3XT right now as I want something that can go in the same pocket as my cell phone with out being too bulky.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd choose the Ra Clicky over the LF3XT for many reasons including UI, size(fits better in hand), bombproofness, pocket clip, made in USA, and overall output. You just can't beat it for the price right now.

Although with that being said, the LF3XT might just be the best light out there for it's price range as well. If it was me, I'd fork out the extra dough for the Clicky.

Axion

Enlightened
I'm tempted by the clicky too, and with the new custom order option I'm ever more tempted to get one as a camping backup light.

But for everyday I think I want something a bit smaller.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Ra builds a specialized light that also happens to fulfill the degrees of 'EDC' in one way or another. It's specialized because it was designed with particular physical usage variables in mind: Significantly sized aluminum body to absorb heat, to fit in the hand fully, and protect the electronics. Impact resistant battery terminals further protect the internals from damage. Thick lens and tough SS/Ti bezel with aluminum reflector increase durability further. Enormous clip, which really 'retains' the light to whatever you've attached it to. - It's designed to be more than a 'programmable' flashlight.

Electronically, the UI is fixed on the Clicky. Meaning that you only get 4 separate and permanent channels to access, and each channel can be set to any of 1-22/23 levels, including four signals. There's also a separate and concise menu system for specific operations. That's it.

My opinion is this:
What You EDC really depends on how you use flashlights daily/nightly, and what circumstances surround your life.

The LF3 might just get you by and soothe your need for customizing a UI, if that's all you're after.

The Ra just might change your idea of necessary EDC forever.

They'll both help you see in the dark places.

I carry a Ra.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have both an LF3XT and 120P (but no clicky) and don't see myself wanting to let either one go anytime soon!

Both great lights but the 120P is just too bulky for my preference. I do like the slightly wider beam and warmer tint that mine came with and if the LF3XT came with a SSC P4 I think it would be close to perfect!