fix battery wobble?

hahnyc87

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a DX light and while I don't expect it to have perfect quality, it seems like the two rcr123s aren't tight enough (probably cause it supports 18650s). It sounds like they aren't moving up/down but rather left/right. Is there anything that I can do to help with this? What can go in there that won't explode the thing?

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can wrap a piece of paper round them until they fit snuggly.

wadus

Newly Enlightened
Not sure how much extra room is in there, but tiny rubber bands might work; like the kinds used for braces. I've heard of people putting O-rings on AA batteries in the Romisen RC-N3 (with the 2*AA body instead of 1*CR123) but I doubt you have THAT much room in your light. Good luck :thumbsup:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another tip I picked up here is if you use paper, you can write contact details on it in case you ever lose it. It at least gives a better than zero chance of having it returned.

KingGlamis

Banned
I used a section of heat shrink tubing in the appropriate size (but of course did not heat it and the cells do not get hot enough to make it shrink). Works great.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use electrical tape to space my cells out, easy to wrap around and stays put. i like the fact that the tape is sorta rubbery shock absorbing bouncey stuff haha, means the cells dont have to be supertight as the tape dampens everything.

hahnyc87

Newly Enlightened
So I can just wrap the batteries in electrical tape? Even though I have to recharge them? Wont the tape melt or something?

Marduke

Flashaholic
I wouldn't use electrical tape. It'll make them harder to get in and out, and will leave a sticky residue after you remove the tape.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I can just wrap the batteries in electrical tape? Even though I have to recharge them? Wont the tape melt or something?

????? Why would the tape melt :huh:
Sticky ? Depends on the tape , the cheap *** rubbish I got , dont do nothing to the batts . One or two layers and its a perfect fit , why would U use to much ? Just go for a nice sliding fit , if they slide in , they will slide out .

hahnyc87

Newly Enlightened
I used the white plumber's tape that is used on threading on pipes to stop leaking... is that okay?

gmf2010

Newly Enlightened
I 2nd the M20 tubes as the best option. Not only will the batteries fit perfect, they will be one cylindrical "package," making for easy swapping, especially if you have multiple tubes.