Pocketclip for Sure-Fire G2?

Velcro

Enlightened
The Sure-Fire 6P and D2 are basically the same light with the difference being that the D2 has a pocketclip and the 6P does not. Now, I was wondering if there is a pocketclip for the G2 since it's the same proportion. Is there? I recall you can remove the D2's pocketclip. Can you attach it to the G2?

Also, what would be the best holster for a G2 if you want to be able to deploy it rapidly? Saw the V70 'Combatlight' holster on the SF website which is supposed to be used for this purpose, so I guess that's the way to go. How does it compare to the leather SF holsters? Is there really that much difference? How big or small is it compared to the leather SF holsters? In other words, how does it feel to have this piece of plastic on your belt?
smile.gif

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Greetings,
Velcro

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 6P:

The D2:

The G2:

The PocketClip attachment point on the D2 body allows a PocketClip to be attached.
The 6P and G2 do not have this attachment point.

The E1e, E2e, C2, C3, D2, D3, and M2 have the same PocketClip attachment point allowing the PocketClips to be interchangeable.

Pouches... I don't have any experience with pouches in this size range. I'm sure someone else will be able to help.

Regards,

Al

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Velcro,

At the risk of stirring up a 'hornets nest' I own the Plastic, Nylon and Leather SF pouches and have found that with the G2 the best option IMHO is the Surefire Nylon pouch. The nylon is easily opened(albeit slightly noisely because of the velcro fastening) and the torch withdrawls easily.Despite constant use on my duty belt the Nylon that SF use appears to be very rugged and is wearing very well and I have never (touch wood) had an accidental opening!

I have found that in my experience the G2 seems to stick in the V70 holster after being used for some time. I suspect that the Nitrolon material causes some sort of binding when in contact with the plastic of the V70. It is a real problem and I couldn't find anyway to alleviate it.

The leather version is very good but doesn't have a flap to protect the bezel from minor damage. The retention mechanism seems to work well though. Personally I dont like leather in my line of work due to the fact that it cant be disenfected if it comes into contact with bio fluids etc. Try washing your leather pouch more than once or twice and you'll see what I mean!

Let me know what you think?

Doug

Velcro

Enlightened
Doug, thanks for the information. Very helpful.

I want to be able to 'draw' the G2 in a split-second, so there should be no obstacles between my hand and the light. Based on your info, I conclude the following:

The nylon pouch has a flap which makes it more difficult to instantly reach to the light. Also, the noise fom the velcro might take away the element of surprise. On the other hand, can you tuck the flap between the pouch and your belt for open top carry? Will there still be enough retention?

The V70 will stick to the G2 after a while, and that's not really what I want.
smile.gif

The leather pouch seems like the way to go. I like the idea of the open top and the retention feature. I don't really mind that the light will be more exposed to minor damage since I will be carrying it bezel down.

Do you still have the leather pouch? I've got a couple of questions about it. Thanks in advance!

Greetings,
Velcro

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Velcro,

I'll try to help you with my views on your questions. IMHO the G2 is not really a tac light as it doesn't have a Lock-out tailcap. The fact is your life could depend just as much on the light not coming on accidentally as to it not coming on when required!
The G2 can and does get switched on by mistake whilst being kept holsterd and when being carried. The Bezel down carry is accepted (nearly univerally) as the only way to get a quick draw using your hand and having it anatomically correctly placed to use your thumb/palm (depending on which preference you have)to engage the bottom button.
The V70 does stick, believe me, I know. However, althouogh I've not tried it I think a good quality lubricant just lightly smeared over the inside of the V70 should prevent the G2 sticking but still not cause you problems with loosing your grip on the G2.

The Nylon SF pouch is still IMHO Ok for your needs as the nylon flap actually prevents the light coming on accidentally and if it does it will prevent most of the light escaping. The quick draw you require is not possible using either the leather or nylon variety of pouches as both are designed for bezel up carry.

I've just reorganised my home office and have lost my leather pouch (at the moment) so just got a replacement and as I mentioned in my previous post prefer the nylon one anyway.

So in conclusion i think that you will have to re-think your SF light/pouch combination if you require (a)a quick draw (b)safety prior to use (c) good securr retention. Remember the noise of a SF being dropped accidentally from a poorly fitting pouch or your hand when being drawn could be disasterous in some situations?

May I ask if you could wait a short time for something like the G2z? This will meet all your requirements and can be carried by a V70 either bezel up or down without problems. Of course there a numerous combinations of SF lights/holsters but for my money the G2 is best kept in the nylon pouch.

Doug

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Postscript:
Just to put my money where my mouth is I actually carried out an experiment after my last post and applied some Silicone grease with PTFE on the inside of a V70. I also made sure that both the bezel and tailcaps of both my G2's had been given a slight coating also. The results were much as expected .............slightly less friction when withdrawing the G2 from the holster. Not much though. When used with a conventional HA finished light no problems experienced.
Conclusion: Nitrolon against plastic V70 equals friction!

Any different results please advise.

Doug