Stacking a DX driver in series w/stock buck driver?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping when I came to post this that MrNaz's thread might already contain the answer, but since he is trying to do 12 volts, that is a totally different animal.

I am trying to add a DX "16-mode" driver board (3.6-4.2V input) to my River Rock headlamp, to be powered externally by a single (or parallel pair) 18650. The easiest thing to do is just feed the output to the existing buck circuit, which I am assuming it is since it is designed to run on 6 volts (2xCR123).

My two concerns are:

1. That I may lose a significant amount of efficiency going through the second circuit.

2. That the high level will be reduced too much by the second circuit. The stock buck driver pulls about 700 mA at 4 volts, and I am fine with that level, don't want more due to marginal heat path. The DX multimode high is about 900 mA on it's own, and I am hoping that the buck circuit will act to throttle that back to around the 700 mA level, but hopefully not much less than 700 mA.

It is a bit fiddly to try this out on the bench, hence why I am asking if someone already knows what to expect. I can, with some drilling and such, bypass the stock driver, but as I say, the output of the DX driver alone is a bit high for this headlamp. Any input will be welcome, thanks in advance!