Need advice on quality light w/ 18650!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I'm looking for a quality light that uses a 18650 battery that would be left in my Jeep, would want at least two light levels, something very dependable and maybe with some weight to it, any advice?? Thanks!!

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I am by no means an expert in lights but I own quite a few. I'm sort of a new comer to the 18650 area but I have been using the EagleTac T10LC2 with AW 18650's and I'm very impressed so far! I have almost 2 solid months of using this light every night as my duty light and this thing is AWESOME! I talked it up so much that my roommate ordered one as well and he has the same impression! Excellent run times, super quality, incredible throw, and just an all around cool light! I have yet to actually burn through one battery in an 8 hour shift! Pretty amazing. I also like the flexibility of being able to switch from 18650 or using 123 primaries. That's a nice function that not all lights have. Shop around and keep your options open but this light is a performer!

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my advice.

Do not put a rechargeable light in your vehicle because the extreme temperature range that goes on inside a vehicle are not optimal for the rechargeable cells.

You should choose a 2xCR123 light for your car because those cells handle the wider temperature changes better.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys for the excellent recommendations!!! Divine, I would be taking the light out every nite.....

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im looking at a Fenix TK11 which uses either setup 1x18650 or 2xcr123's
it seems a good next step from all my maglites, and looks just as bomb proof with nice and simple two modes.
93 4.0 limited grey :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There's the Fenix TK11, Eagletac T10L, Wolfeye Sniper, Jetbeam Jet III, Olight M20, Lumapower Encore, Darktort DT, Dereelight CL1H and DBS, iTP C6, and the Tiablo A8, A9, A10, ACE.

For a normal use light, one of the Jetbeam Jet IIIs(programmable if IBS), Lumapower Encore(smaller) or the Olight M20(good throw but not too big) might be a good choice.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Skip multi mode lights if dependability/reliability is desired. They can fail from time to time.

My suggestion would be to stick with single mode types...
Option 1 (primary cells) => SF-6P + malkoff M60 + SF Primaries

Option 2 (Lithium Ion rechargable) => SF-6P Modded for 18650 + malkoff M30 + AW18650

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second the 6P Malkoff option. I would reccomend the M60 with a rechargeable AW17670 cell myself. You get around an hour of regulation with full brightness, then a period of dimming before the protection circuit in the battery kicks in. You can still use primaries anytime you want. If you go with a M30, you get high brightness till the end, then the light cuts out with no warning because of the pc in the cell when the voltage drops too low. All of a sudden.....darkness.......with no warning. Primaries would be better because of the temp extremes.

sv_sniper

Newly Enlightened
First of all, as other members said, it's not a good idea to leave a flashlight with rechargeable batteries inside. I guess 2X123A would be better.

I have one Ultrafire C1 and one L2 in hands. I've carried the C1 with me everyday for couple of weeks. So far the C1 works pretty well. It is with Cree R2 5-mode head and a strike bezel.

I will recommend Ultrafire C1 with 2 X123A equipped. It's bright enough to blind the intruder and it is also heavy enough to cause reasonable damages with the stainless strike head.

Oh, it's cheap. It's only $23 at DX.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that multi mode lights like the Eagletacs or TK11 (where the mode is changed by loosening the head) are more likely to fail than single mode lights. They are basically single mode lights with 2 different circuits, so there isn't really much that can fail.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I definitely don't think that saying "multi-mode lights are less reliable" is anywhere near accurate. What would be more accurate is "cheap lights are less reliable than expensive lights"

With cheap lights, especially those with multiple modes, the components used are cheaper, and the quality is usually not that great.

While a light from a more respected brand (Surefire, Streamlight, Wolf-Eyes, Pila, Etc...) may cost more, the light you get is going to be a much better light, one that you can rely on. With a quality light, I see no reason for a multi-mode light to be more susceptable to failure than a single-mode light.

As far as the "twist to change levels" lights, there are actually more parts to fail, since very similar circuitry is used. These lights typically use a ring to switch levels, which adds at least 2 extra components to the circuit. While that in itself doesn't mean that the light is more likely to fail, it just means that there are more parts that could break.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't think that multi mode lights like the Eagletacs or TK11 (where the mode is changed by loosening the head) are more likely to fail than single mode lights. They are basically single mode lights with 2 different circuits, so there isn't really much that can fail.

Actualy I should clarify that I agree with the above statement completely. My L1T (a very robust bezel-twist switching mechanism) has been very reliable and its one of my most used and dropped lights. Its the EPROM programmable type multi mode lights that (IMHO) are more prone to fail.

My posts and commentary are largely speculative, since manufacturers do not publish failure/RMA rate data... so when discussions of reliability surface all we have to go on are rough, ball park assumptions.

However, I ask all of you this... Have you ever heard of a Malkoff M30/60 failing on the job, arriving DOA or experienced a failure first hand? (this is the primary reason for my recommendation above).

Last edited:

kicken_bright

Newly Enlightened
Check out Dereelight Clh4! they are great quality and are easily upgraded! I actually just bought the older Clh3 from dereelight directly for 45 bucks! AWESOME BUY!:grin2:

adept1

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm looking for a quality light that uses a 18650 battery that would be left in my Jeep, would want at least two light levels, something very dependable and maybe with some weight to it, any advice?? Thanks!!

Solarforce L2 5-mode R2. I like having strobe/SOS for car lights. It's also cheap enough that you won't worry about leaving it in the car. Can run off 18650 or (R)CR123's.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
If you require a well regulated 18650 torch then i would suggest a Dereelight CL1H. You can choose a 3 mode pill or a single light level along with either a SMO or OP reflector, or, you can buy both reflectors. That way you can decide which beam profile you prefer. You can also choose to have this with the R2 Q5 or Q3 5A LED. I think this would be a good choice due to its different options and good regulation using a 18650 battery.