Can I use rechargeables in a Surefire L4?

sdafxcvws3

Newly Enlightened
I received my new Surefire L4 LumaMax . I got some 3 volt rechargeables ,but in fact ,it's 3.5 volt after fully charged. I'm afraid it will damage my L4.

Can I use two 3.5 volt Rechargeable Battery ? It's that safe?

If I use two 3.5 volt LiIon's with L4,does it will damage my LED Flashlight?

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: can i use the rechargeables????

This is from another thread:

QUOTE: "LED Lights / Heads NOT compatible with 3.6 volt rechargeable batteries:
  • SureFire® L1, L2, L4 and L6 Flashlights"
There are tons of thread discussing about this, you can use the search function...

:welcome:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

This is from another thread:

QUOTE: "LED Lights / Heads NOT compatible with 3.6 volt rechargeable batteries:
  • SureFire® L1, L2, L4 and L6 Flashlights"
There are tons of thread discussing about this, you can use the search function...

:welcome:

Not so. Only L1 is not, supposedly, compatible with one 3.6 rechargeable. The L2 can run, very safely, on one 14670 LiIon. The L4 runs very well, and safely with one 17670 LiIon. The L6 runs well with two 17500 LiIon's, which can be 8.4 volts fully charged.

Now, don't use two LiIon's with the L2, nor L4 as that is way over spec of circuit.

Bill

sdafxcvws3

Newly Enlightened

Not so. Only L1 is not, supposedly, compatible with one 3.6 rechargeable. The L2 can run, very safely, on one 14670 LiIon. The L4 runs very well, and safely with one 17670 LiIon. The L6 runs well with two 17500 LiIon's, which can be 8.4 volts fully charged.

Now, don't use two LiIon's with the L2, nor L4 as that is way over spec of circuit.

Bill

Does the L4 can run safely with two 3.5V rechargeable batteries??

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast

What 3.5V batteries are you talking about?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast

For surefires you are safer sticking to two 3.0 rechargeables - LiFePO4's to be more specific. An added benefit is that they are supposedly a "safer" chemistry than the regular Li-Ions.

You get 1/3 the runtime, but hey, you save a lot of money.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why? The light was designed around two 123 cells. If you wanted a rechargeable light, there's plenty to chose from.

sdafxcvws3

Newly Enlightened

For surefires you are safer sticking to two 3.0 rechargeables - LiFePO4's to be more specific. An added benefit is that they are supposedly a "safer" chemistry than the regular Li-Ions.

You get 1/3 the runtime, but hey, you save a lot of money.

yeah! I WANNA SAVE MONEY!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Does the L4 can run safely with two 3.5V rechargeable batteries??

I answered your question. Also, it is two 3.6V's. No do not run the KL4 with two of them. It will overdrive the LED and it will fail if run for any length of time. Just don't do it.

Use one 17670 LiIon to run the KL4. It will work fine in regulation.

Bill

By the way, the L4 uses the KL4 head.

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you have the new version with a SSC P4 emitter, or the old one with a 5w Luxeon?
The new one will use a buck converter, and could get a tentative ok, though some converters are still limited to fairly low maximum input voltage. Someone familiar with the converter on that model would have to answer.
The old one will use a boost converter, and go into direct drive with 2 R123s. It will be much brighter, but you risk anything from shortening the life of the LED to immediately killing it.

Along with the new/old generations of the same model using different circuits, SF heads are not approved for use with rechargeables by the manufacturer, and they provide no guidelines for their use, or details about the converter boards, so it's not an easy question to answer.

sdafxcvws3

Newly Enlightened

I answered your question. Also, it is two 3.6V's. No do not run the KL4 with two of them. It will overdrive the LED and it will fail if run for any length of time. Just don't do it.

Use one 17670 LiIon to run the KL4. It will work fine in regulation.

Bill

By the way, the L4 uses the KL4 head.

thank you very much very much!

sdafxcvws3

Newly Enlightened

Do you have the new version with a SSC P4 emitter, or the old one with a 5w Luxeon?
The new one will use a buck converter, and could get a tentative ok, though some converters are still limited to fairly low maximum input voltage. Someone familiar with the converter on that model would have to answer.
The old one will use a boost converter, and go into direct drive with 2 R123s. It will be much brighter, but you risk anything from shortening the life of the LED to immediately killing it.

Along with the new/old generations of the same model using different circuits, SF heads are not approved for use with rechargeables by the manufacturer, and they provide no guidelines for their use, or details about the converter boards, so it's not an easy question to answer.

L4 is my first surefire:grin2:

Bushman5

Enlightened

I use a single Tenergy 3v RCR123 in my SF L2, with a dummy CR123 cell. Tested it hot off the charger and it was only 3.5 volts. works great.

sdafxcvws3

Newly Enlightened
is this the new version Surefire l4?! 120lumens ?

I received my new Surefire L4 LumaMax . I'm not sure it is the new kl4 head with 120 lumens . The old version is 100 lumens .

It's a white dot on the head ,the serial number is B71167.

How can i discern my KL4 head is the new version with 120 lumens but not the 100 lumens'.