RA Clicky with Novatac Clip

Rverdi

Newly Enlightened
Despite being happy with the factory defaults on my 120 EDCE, I felt I had to see what the programming offered. After getting into the customization menu I ended up (accidentally) setting it to what I think is high primary, forced strobe med/low on secondary and last settings. I cannot get back into customization (triple click, press hold) and, in fact, after a few attempts the light starts to only give three flashes each time the button is pushed, no other response from inputs. Removing the batteries eliminates that issue, but the programming remains, it will not accept a factory reset. It also won't accept a 20 click programming attempt.
My guess is that it needs to go back to RA, but I'd thought I'd see if anyone hear had any ideas.
I love the feel of the light, it carries well with the Novatac clip I installed (factory clip is just not for me) Now if I can get it working properly...
***************PROBLEM SOLVED*********************

Last edited:

sappyg

Enlightened
Re: Trouble with my Clicky

hey rverdi
are you sure you followed the factory reset correctly? did you try turning it on... unscrew the battery compartment. and then screw it back together... the light should come on dim for 5 secs...... press and hold durring the 5 sec dim.... the light should become brighter for 10 sec and turn off..... it should be reset to default at that point.
how did you install the NT clip on your clicky? we need pics

Rverdi

Newly Enlightened

Yup, tried the reset several times. I get the proper indication but it doesn't return to the factory setting.
I put the NT clip under the bezel, all my Nova's are set up that. I'll snap a pic tonight.

Everett

Newly Enlightened

after a few attempts the light starts to only give three flashes each time the button is pushed, no other response from inputs.

This sounds like the indication that button lock is on. Can you unlock it by triple-clicking when it does this?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think sappyg has it - I don't think you can't use a Novatac clip on the Ra. I'm not sure if it will interfere with the signal wire if you actually put it under the front bezel but it will for sure be a problem if it's between the battery tube and the head. With all the people disliking the stock clip this is the first time I've heard of anyone using the NT clip on the Ra - so I suspect there is a reason.... Please let us know if this fixes the problem.

Rverdi

Newly Enlightened

Actually I think Everett was right. I think the button lock had somehow become enabled and, for whatever reason, I was having a great deal of trouble getting back to programming mode. After many attempts I was able to get it reset and configured the way I want it. I think this one was purely operator error, I was just lost in the programming, too used to my Novatac T's I guess. Anyway, picture below of the Clicky with the NT clip. I can't believe this hasn't been done more, it seems like such an easy solution. I like the light but the RA clip is just awful. The NT clip goes on as easily as it does on an NT (all mine are configured bezel up. It carries great, no concerns for me. I have the screws in to keep the threads safe until I get some black set screws.

normal_DSC00809.JPG

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have my Twisty set-up the same way, with the Novatac clip mounted bezel up. Never thought to try it on one of my Clicky's!

Did you have to install a thicker o-ring, or possibly add another to get the beam focused properly once the clip was installed?

Last edited:

Rverdi

Newly Enlightened

Nope, it all went together like it was designed that way.

XD9

Enlightened

I have my Twisty set-up the same way, with the Novatac clip mounted bezel down. Never thought to try it on one of my Clicky's!

Did you have to install a thicker o-ring, or possibly add another to get the beam focused properly once the clip was installed?

I tried the Novatac Clip Bezel down with my Clicky and it does not work... The only way to do it is by putting it between the head and the body and it prevents the light from turning on.... Maybe you have another idea? Or am I doing it wrong???

oldpal

Enlightened

I like the light but the RA clip is just awful. The NT clip goes on as easily as it does on an NT (all mine are configured bezel up. It carries great, no concerns for me. I have the screws in to keep the threads safe until I get some black set screws.

normal_DSC00809.JPG

Excuse my ignorance, but did you just unscrew the 120EDCE's bezel and how much trouble was it to get it off? Mine seems to be on very tight and doesn't budge by hand.

Hugh

Rverdi

Newly Enlightened
I put a hardwood dowel in the crenalations and turned it right off.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good find on the NT clip fitting! I did think the lockout might have been a possibility and glad Everett thought to mention it.

Personally I don't like to carry lights bezel up so this won't work for me but it's sure nice to know for those who like bezel up carry. Bezel up clips are good for attaching it to a hat or similar to make your light into a headlamp.
:thumbsup:

sappyg

Enlightened
hey rverdi........ thanks for the pic of the RA with the NT clip. for the past 2 weeks i've been trying the RA clip and last night i finally had to take it off. i'm definately going to give that clip a try.
glad you got your clicky working...

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I edited my above post, my Twisty has the Novatac clip mounted BEZEL UP. Sorry for the confusion :eek:

When I added the clip onto my Twisty, I had to add an o-ring under the lens. Problem was the reflector was not focusing properly with the clip installed and I had an awful donut in the center of the beam. I could actually see a little gap between the emitter and the base of the reflector, which was causing the donut in the beam. Once I added another o-ring, the reflector fit properly and the beam smoothed right out :)

sappyg

Enlightened
Nope, it all went together like it was designed that way.

i just installed the NT clip on my EDC E :twothumbs. this is the clip solution for me! rverdi is right... the clip fits like it was made for the light.
there are no rings or distortion in the beam at all.... no extra O rings either. the clip does not interfear with the function or the way the light has to be held. there is no "sponge" effect whatever. it feels like i am holding the light in stead of the clip. it looks really cool too....
all hale :bow::bow::bow: rverdi

Rverdi

Newly Enlightened
i just installed the NT clip on my EDC E :twothumbs. this is the clip solution for me! rverdi is right... the clip fits like it was made for the light.
there are no rings or distortion in the beam at all.... no extra O rings either. the clip does not interfear with the function or the way the light has to be held. there is no "sponge" effect whatever. it feels like i am holding the light in stead of the clip. it looks really cool too....
all hale :bow::bow::bow: rverdi

So... did you like it?:D

I was pretty happy about it too. As much as i like the light, I doubt I would have kept it absent an adequate clip solution.
Sadly, though, it appears my clicky has succumbed to the bad button bug I've heard about. A call to HDS was handled by about the nicest guy I've ever spoken to. A new battery tube is on the way and, hopefully, I'll be back up and running soon.

lightheart

Newly Enlightened
can a buy a novatac clip?

i have been trying to find a clip solution for my RA..this looks like it'll work...can a buy a novatac clip?

m16a

Enlightened

Excuse my ignorance, but did you just unscrew the 120EDCE's bezel and how much trouble was it to get it off? Mine seems to be on very tight and doesn't budge by hand.

Hugh

Hugh, I once thought the same, but believe it or not, they are just screwed on, overtop an o-ring, the lens glass, and a second o-ring underneath. Just keep screwing until it finally comes undone.