what do you think

3D black mag

Newly Enlightened
Hi I've been thinking about making some P7 maglites to sell here on CPF and before I ordered parts and started to make a few I am asking you what you think. They would be 2 - 4 cell D or C sized maglites which ever one you prefer, the bulb would be a DSXPJ P7 being driven at 2.8 amps on a black anodized heatsink, with a DX orange peel reflector. The price would range from 100.00 to 110.00 dollars. So what do you think?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure you want to work for a very low profit margin?

All pieces to build one come to around $80-85, plus the cost of your time to get it right and don't mess it up, Is shipping included? Cost of packaging and gas to go to the USPS included?

Sounds like the price is a bit low IMHO.

AlexGT

3D black mag

Newly Enlightened
Thank you AlexGT But I would be making them mostly for fun so 20.00 to 30.00 dollars profit per light is fine with me. And that does not include shipping but shipping prices would not be raised from what it costs me to ship.

P.S. what does IMHO mean?

addictedmatt

Enlightened
I think you may have a hard time selling them at that price. I have seen more than a few sit in the BST for days at $90-$100. Good luck either way!

3D black mag

Newly Enlightened
Any more opinions? I think I will make one just to see how it does and go from there. Where would I post it because I have seen people selling lights that are not in the marketplace?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you make one it would be a custom made so it would go in the Custom Buy, Sell, Trade forum.

HTH
AlexGT

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I think you may have a hard time selling them at that price. I have seen more than a few sit in the BST for days at $90-$100. Good luck either way!

You're right about that. I was surprised your P7 mag didn't sell. Your unfinished mod is getting tempting.

3D black mag, I've been trying to do the same thing without much luck so far, and I have years of experience with flashlights and modding. My idea was to sell a quality, mid priced P7 between the $150 production lights and Malkoff P7 drop-in and the $40 cheapo DX lights. I was planning on making a few extra dollars and having something interesting to do until I can find a job.

If you want to do it for fun, go for it. I'm having fun building lights, but I'm still waiting to make any money at it here on CPF. I've had better luck, both now, and in the past selling lights locally.

Another thing to try when you get more modding practice is to develop a unique mod of your own to build and sell. I have another project in the works, but I'm still waiting for the LED's. :sigh:
That's another aspect that's not so fun is all the supplier delays!

:welcome:

3D black mag

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the replies AlexGT and kz1000s1. Maybe I will think about it a little more and think of something that is not so widely available. thank you for the advice.