My experience with cheap batteries

ecotack

Newly Enlightened
I thought I'd share my experience with cheap batteries of eBay.

First where BTC MiMH AA 2500 (sold as 2500mAh). Most leaked all over my 10 way 200mA charger. When I bought a decent battery charger I tested them, even the ones that didn't leak where only 300-400mAh.

Cheap CR123, 4 came with the charger, I put two in the charger and one became very hot. Turns out the charger charges in parallel and one battery probably had more charge than the other. I had another start fizzing on its own in the charger and another start fizzing and smoking while it was just sat on the desk (for no reason I can think of).

Not had any go bang, yet, but needless to say any new batteries I buy have to have good reviews and Lithiums must be protected.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Ecotack,

I am glad you were paying attention to your charging and were able to stop things before they got completely out of hand.

Having a R-CR123 fizzing and smoking while sitting on the desk must have been a little unnerving.

Tom

mdocod

Flashaholic
wow, go ebay :thumbsdow

unfortunate that they are getting away with that. Many users probably don't even know what a mAH is let along how to test it so when it arrives and works they just give positive feedback without a care in the world... bleh...

-Eric