LED Category

Dizos

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if this has been covered before but I am wondering about the logic of seperating LED from the General Flashlight forum. I find it inconvenient going back and forth between the two categories when the subjects are so similar. Where does one post about the A2 and other combination lights? It seems to me that LED's have firmly entered the realm of general use flashlights. Am I missing something?

-- Jeff

shrap

Enlightened
I think until 5W LSs become mainstream, the LED/Gen Flashlight division is ok. Gen forum seems to focus on high powered lights such as Surefire and Streamlight, LED forum tops out at 1W LSs such as KL1 and Arc LS, and the 5W LSs go mostly to homemade and mod lights.

Darell

Flashaholic
Well, this has NOTHING to do with light output. The Mag solitaire belongs in the general flashlight forum, for example. The problem is one of forum size, not flashlight power. Not everybody crosses over, and to have to sift through hundreds of incandescent posts to find the LED ones is a bigger job than just checking two forums. Do you see how big this thing is now? If it were not broken down into sections, everybody would be loading thousands of strings they were not interested in.

The new hybrid lights pose somewhat of an interesting challenge. But if a light fits nowhere else, it belongs in the "general" forum - since that's what "general" means.

BigMac

Enlightened
LEDs are a completely different concept than incandecents. They fill completely different purposes. Someone wanting to find a light to get around the house at night with would come to the LED forum. Someone want to find a light to light up an entire forest at night would go to the incandescent forum.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, someone who wants to light up an entire forest at night would go to the HID forum...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Just another point on how big the forum has gotten...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif