Photon Knock-Off

BigMac

Enlightened
Recently I purchased this led light off of ebay for 1.99. They come in blue, green, white, uv, and red-green-blue. As far as I can tell there are only two differences between these and the photon II:

1. The case of this is clear, the photon case is black (i dont know what either is made out of).

2. The switch of this new light is much easier to press than that of the photon.

I was even able to swap leds between these two lights. I got a UV one of these and switched the led (and the batteries) with the led and batteries of a green photon II, and they both still work.
Back:
chineseandphoton.jpg

Front:
chineseandphoton2.jpg

paulr

Flashaholic
Interesting, I'd been wondering about those. One seller had them at $39.95 for 50 pieces "buy it now" (but shipping was $11.95 so it came out to a little over $1 each). There were six colors available and the seller said I could choose the
combination. I had been thinking of setting up a group buy on BST since I wouldn't want 50 of the things for myself.

It's not a surprise that the LED's are interchangeable, Photon uses normal 5mm LED's.

BigMac

Enlightened
I knew that the LEDs were standard, but i didnt know if the cavity inside of the lights would be the same. Apparently they were. These are very good lights, and seem tough enough. I haven't had a chance to test it's strength very thouroughly yet tough becuase this one is for my brother for his birthday. All together I think I might come to like these better than my photon II's.

BTW, the shipping on mine was only $1, but I only got one. (Which isn't too bad considering it had to come from China!)

shrap

Enlightened
Don't buy knockoffs, even if the original (Photon 2) is past its prime. What's wrong with paying money for innovation and R&D, instead of paying the guy who just copies other people's work?

Just IMHO.