Inretech question.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it safe to direct drive an Inretech 2AA light with 3AA alkalines? If so, what is a good flashlight to do this? Will the Brinkmann 3AA light work? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, you don't want to do that. can you say "VOID WARRANTY"?

Seriously, luxeons can easily handle the direct-drive input off of 3AA cells (witness the LGI for example), but NEVER in a "drop-in" format like the Inretech.

Drop-in works just great for 2AA cells (dim lights have use too!). Running with the 3AA setup is going to need some real heatsinking that a drop-in just can't provide.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I won't try it. I do love my new Inretech even though I know there are brighter LS lights out there. It is a very good value for the money, IMO.

shipinretech

Enlightened
Pi_is_blue,

You can use 3AA to drive our MC, Super6, or Trilight products, briefly. If you drive or 2AA adapter with 3AA, you will certainly let the magic smoke out of the electronic device, and probably pretty soon. Other companies are happy to overdrive their LEDs, we are happy to have a product that will last a long time.

Designing a new flashlight to handle 3AA properly is something we could do for a lot of money and not much advantage. There are a LOT of Mini-MAG flashlights out there. Plus, we like the Mag Instruments product line.

The Yeti

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have driven a m!nimag off of 2N cells and a AAA cell, and that works fine briefly. It takes the LED about 10 seconds to get painfully hot, so I know to only run it briefly if I am going to do that. On 2 AA cells it will run nicely for hours on end though, so that is what I usually do.