New light lube and deoxit

zenlunatic

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Nitecore D10 R2 (love it). I also got some nyogel 760 and some deoxit gold. The light seems pre-lubed (got from 4sevens). Should I apply nyogel, clean then nyogel, and is deoxit gold safe to put on the circuit contact on the head?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the threads are clean and everything works smoothly, leave it.

As for the DeOxIt Gold if you got the spray (it also comes in a pen form or at least it used to) just be careful not to over do it with the spray. A little goes a long way. Have some swabs or some paper toweling wrapped around the end of a pencil to use for blotting if there's too much. Otherwise you could spray the batteries and dab up a bit of it and coat the flashlight contacts with the excess.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not impressed with the lube on the Nitecore lights, re-lubing with the Nyogel is probably a good idea.

You could also remove the ring (carefully!) and coat it with deoxit separately. I just clean mine up with never-dull and some 00 steel wool every couple months.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Hang on - shouldn't we establish whether zen's new light is working properly first, before advising him/her to clean everything off and re-lube it ?

From reading posts on the D10s, it does seem that there were problems with the lube on some of the earlier ones, but that may not apply to the more recent ones. I've had one for a few months now - it worked perfectly straight out of the box, and is still absolutely fine.

Zen - as sam says, if it's working OK then leave it alone, and just enjoy using one of the best lights on the market !

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hang on - shouldn't we establish whether zen's new light is working properly first, before advising him/her to clean everything off and re-lube it ?

Deoxit isn't just to lubricate and cure problems though, it's also to "improve and protect", so if you've got it you might as well use it. The result should be a light that performs better (in theory) and will go longer without needing the contacts cleaned.

zenlunatic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I applied deoxit gold to the contacts on the head. Took a toothbrush to the threads and then used nyogel. Used a microfiber cloth. I didn't lube the piston though. I'm going to leave that for now but get some teflon grease. Nyogel doesn't seem right for the PD.

Oh, if I didn't say it, I love this light. Replaced my EDC LD10.

zenlunatic

Newly Enlightened
Yes petroleum jelly can erode some o rings. Some only, because some o rings are nitrile. Use Nyogel or silicon grease.