E2E O-ring size

CandlePow

Newly Enlightened
I asked Surefire to tell me the size of the O-rings for an E2E, and customer service said they didn't know the sizes but would send a new set. When they came I measured them (and the rings in the light itself) against samples from the hardware store. The endcap O-ring is a size 015, but the bezel O-ring measures between a 017 and 018. Between the two 017 is closer, but is definitely smaller than the correct one. I guess Surefire uses non-standard sizes. Any light to shed on this topic?

CandlePow

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

I suppose I have a question rather then an answer for you:
If SureFire will send you replacements, why do you need to get more from a hardware store?

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CandlePow

Newly Enlightened
More than the wait, it was that I hated to bother Surefire on such a minor item if I could get them myself around the corner.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
CandlePow,

I think you will find that the 017 works fine and provides a good seal.

- Don

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't consider o-rings to be minor items - try carrying and use a SureFire without it's o-rings for a few days if you dare! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Al

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
which is why being able to get extra O-rings from your local hardware store in the same day is better than having to wait a week or two for the O-rings from surefire to arrive, during which your surefire will be without any O-rings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
That is a good point. One wonders though why replacement parts weren't standing by along with replacement lamps, clips and SF123A's... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
al: i agree...its annoying for me to have to bug surefire everytime i need replacements parts, and i bet it bugs them too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

emann

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
al: i agree...its annoying for me to have to bug surefire everytime i need replacements parts, and i bet it bugs them too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ] This is the craziest statement I've ever read. Surefire sells great products to make money and provides replacement parts to help keep there customers happy with there products and coming back for more. Not many people would buy a $80 flashlight if the company didn't even offer any replacement parts. I seriously doubt it bugs Surefire to send out replacement parts.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's far easier to go down to the hardware store and fork over a whopping $0.30-.60 for an o-ring than to wait weeks on sf.

sf tech support is great if you don't mind waiting weeks to get your part. i'm still waiting on a clip which i'm sure will never show up. i no longer need it since i sold the light so i never did call them back.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
emann: maybe its just me but i hate to bug people when i can solve problems on my own, and being able to buy my own O-rings as and when i need them beats emailing surefire cs and waiting for the o-rings to arrive. it can take as fast as one week, or it can take a few months. in this case perhaps i should have specified o-rings, not replacement parts. if any component of a surefire i own fails i will expect a replacement from them no doubt.

if i knew of a place in singapore which sold kroll switches i would buy my own instead of requesting some from arc as well. in my opinion o-rings are so trivial, and its not a surefire-specific component which is available only from them. i also seriously doubt its that much trouble to go down to the hardware store to buy o-rings.