Any issue bringing flashlights into Israel?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
May be travelling to Israel in the near future, wondering if there are any concerns bringing in flashlights especially those powered by li-ion cells.

Was intending to bring my LD01 on 10440s and Jet I Pro IBS v2.0 with 14500s with the WF-138 charger and some spare primaries (AAA and AA to be safe).

Don't think i want to carry my other lights even though i dont have any really expensive lights it would still s*ck big time to get any one of my lights confiscated by airport security.

Maybe i should just bring the even cheaper ones, UF host with the MC-E drop in running on 18650s with 3 spare 18650s and the Akoray AAA with some primaries.

What do you guys think? Any CPF-ers been there before? or better yet, any Israeli flashaholics here who can advise me?

ruriimasu

Enlightened
i passed my sister a cheapie nichia LED AA light to bring there. it puts out about 10-20 lumens. If she returns with that light, i will let you know :D

anyway, i think if you are afraid and happen to have a D10 or EX10, just bring them and set at the lowest brightness. there is no way any non flashaholic will know how to ramp up or double-click and hold to bring up the brightness :devil: and leaving it at the dimmest will reduce possibility of having it confiscated for personal use by any corrupt immigration officer :xyxgun:

one more thing. i always have a lummi wee hung around my neck. very often i would forget about it when passing through airport security checks. so far, they didnt seem to notice... even though there was a li-ion batt in it.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply, but i'll probably be flying in the next 2 weeks or so :D so may not be able to wait for your sister to come back.

In any event, decided not to bring lights that i would hate to lose, like any of my Jetbeams, so i'll go with my Ultrafire C3 with a spare 14500 and a DX MC-E drop in mounted in a Ultrafire host and a spare 18650 and either my E01 or LD01 with primaries.

but who knows, i might just change my mind. Will update accordingly both before and after the trip

dim

Enlightened
I went to Israel for two weeks about this time last year. You will have a GREAT time!! Israel is a deep, fantastic and special place. You will not want to leave. But when you must return home, you'll count the days to when you'll be able to return to Israel.

I traveled there (from the U.S.) with several bags of equipment. My Amateur (Ham) Radios, Yaesu FT-897, FT-817, FT-60, VX-2, several FRS/GMRS radios, power supplies, antennas, wires, etc... and flashlights, Fenix L1T (EDC), Inova X1, MAG 2C+TerraLux, MiniMag+MJLED, JetBeam Jet-II IBS, LOTS of NiMH AA batts, charger and other good "stuff". I even brought some clothes!

With most of my equipment checked in at the airport (VERY well packed including bubble wrap and other padding - what do you think the clothes were for?), my FT-817 around my neck and L1T in my pocket, I had trouble with neither American nor Israeli security.

When going through security, just make it easy for the agents/inspectors. Lay everything out so that it is easily accessible. Don't make them wait for you. Anticipate their wants and needs and prepare for the moment. Be respectful to the agents and to their security needs. When asked about your equipment, be enthusiastic about your hobby. They will see that you're just a hobbyist and there to have fun!!

I'm sure that this thread will interest you.

dim

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the most helpful reply, I will pack everything such that it is easily accessible (but to be safe, all modes of the Jetbeams will be programmed to lower levels, hehe)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, decided that i will carry the following:-

EDIT: well, the Jet III is staying at home as are all lithium cells, just read the rules on carry on and checked luggage for Singapore airlines, no lithium batteries.

Fenix LD01 on my lanyard with usb drive (3 spare 10440s should suffice and AAAs can be had anywhere)

Jetbeam Jet I MkII with 3 spare 14500s

Either Jet III Pro ST or P60 host with 3 mode MC-E (High-Low-Strobe) and 2 spare 18650s

Was thinking of bringing my E01 and this new budget CR2 light that just came in but i think that would be overkill, 3 lights should suffice though i keep wanting to bring them all, would be nice to see just how far the Aurora WF-600 Q5 can throw.

No chargers except for mobile phone, laptop and digital camera.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm, :thinking:
spots from Israel here on TV usually show some kind of "civillian" toting around AR15s or similar.
Wondering if flashlights are considered contraband in such a country.

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
I just came back from Israel a week ago. I flew from USA (Atlanta) and brought two lights (Novatac and Bitz, both 123A lithium) and a swiss army knife. Novatac and the sak in luggage, bitz carry on. I had no issues on the plane arriving in israel or USA. I also carried the bitz in israel to tourist places and shopping malls and had no issues.

I should also mention I have very light skin and did not look like a terrorist at all. They will stop you if you look suspicious though.

tadbik

Enlightened
You shouldn't have any problem with your lights. Just make sure if they've got any sharp bits to put them in your checked luggage. Now cheddar cheese is something else! It looks similar to Semtex on the x-ray machine!

tadbik

Enlightened
hmm, :thinking:
spots from Israel here on TV usually show some kind of "civillian" toting around AR15s or similar.
Wondering if flashlights are considered contraband in such a country.

Anyone who wants to know what Israel is really like. Feel free to contact me. Israel is FAR safer than any average U.S. city!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there were no issues bringing my lights or spare cells in. Turns out that i hardly needed them at all. The Jet I Pro IBS was clipped into my passport holder, threw that into the bin along with wallet, cell phone, keys, etc. no issue at all. Not even a 2nd look and this was undergoing stringent security check at Frankfurt (transit point).

The LD01 was clipped to my neck lanyard along with my USB drive, also no issue getting it through.

The largest light i carried was my Ultrafire P60 host with the DX MC-E drop in, this and all spare cells (2x18650, 2x14500 and 2x10440) were (a) not used (b) not stopped nor questioned. This was in my check in luggage.

That being said, i hardly needed the use of any lights at all, Tel Aviv is a brightly lit city and Israel in general is a lovely country, contrasts between old and ultramodern, a city of history and partying. UNfortunately i did not get much time to go sightseeing, in fact none at all.

It was lots of work and no play (unless you count a beer each day after work at the lobby lounge of my hotel) out of the hotel at 7.30 a.m. each day and back at about 6.30 p.m, totally drained out. :D

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, decided that i will carry the following:-

EDIT: well, the Jet III is staying at home as are all lithium cells, just read the rules on carry on and checked luggage for Singapore airlines, no lithium batteries.
No chargers except for mobile phone, laptop and digital camera.

So no laptops, cellphones, pda's, digital cameras? They all have lithium batteries.

Or did they mean no loose lithium batteries...

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
So no laptops, cellphones, pda's, digital cameras? They all have lithium batteries.

Or did they mean no loose lithium batteries...

thanks for reminding me about this point, i asked the counter staff for Singapore Airlines and she told me that they were referring to those large lithium batteries used for fuel cells, showed her my 18650s and she said those were fine. So i checked them in, and they got through with no problems.