Semi-value 4AA find...... mini revue

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Rayovac 'Prodigy'. Available in 1AA, 2AA, 4AA, 2D, and 4D Lantern.

I had to be donking around Target anyhow and came across these lights. They are pretty nice looking. Made of seemingly fragile plastic. The switch is pushbutton, and has no momentary on feature.

I played around with different bulbs, and with fresh alkalines and a KPR113 it throws a decent bright beam. The bulb mounting system doesn't allow for much refinment, and the beam is not as seamless as the textured reflector would make me believe. That said there is only a semi blotchy center beam with a wide Corona (proper term?)

It is far brighter than my perhaps 10 minute old LX. My Garrity alum Mag Copy has a brighter VERY tightly focused spot, but this Prodigy ain't bad for $6 bucks.

There is an REI store some 30-40 minutes away. (On the WORST freeway we have for traffic - bar NONE!) I'm going to try and get in there and see what this PT thing is all about this week.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Wowsers!!!!

I got a package of Mag White Stars 3 Cell tonight.

Tried one in this Prodigy....

It may not last long but Holy Cow it is BRITE!!!!

I would guess these are the equal of KPR103 bulbs at 3.6volts... at around 6volts it sure ain't gonna live a long life but man o man it is the sun!

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a pack of these lights at Target the other night on the clearance pile. Seem like pretty decent little lights. I put one of those nice Walmart/Rayovac Xenon 2.8 volt bulbs in the 2AA light and an aqua 4 led cluster bulb in the 4AA light.

I have hoped the reflector smooth out the beam a little more than it does owing to all those facets, but for $3.99 for 3 lights I am more than happy with them.

Empath

Flashaholic
Not to turn the topic toward LED or mods, but I've had one for some time with a Techass PR LED lamp installed. It does an exceptional job with a good long reaching smooth bright beam.
icon14.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
<Begin thread hijack>
Yep, those Techass bulbs are pretty cool. I have one of those in a Eveready Waterproof 2D cell light that lives on the shelf by my bed for power failure/hurricane backup. Throws almost like a Dorcy Cool Blue, and should run a long lonf time on those 2 D cells.
<End thread hijack>

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Only reason MANY of my lights don't have LED bulbs is I can't so far walk into a local store and buy any. Mailordering/Ebay snuck up on me and hammered some heavy debt. Therefore I almost WILL NOT order anything, instead choosing to see it-touch it-pay cash for it.

On a similar note however, I took my Brinkman Rebel LED light and substituted a 3.0v lithium 1/3 for one of the AAs. With a spacer it seems to be a bit brighter with no APPARENT damage to the led.

Still think my cheap *** Rayovac Swivel head 2D is the best dang light I own. Throws a nice beam, can sit upright and shoot sideways, and tosses enough light up to light the room fair.

Did I say I'm cheap?