Review/Pics: Quark AA vs Fenix L2D RB100 (Warm tint)

Zarniwoop

Newly Enlightened
I got out my ancient 3W VB-16 because I know it is tinted on the bluish side, and had a little shootout with my Fenix L2D and Quark AA. I have the Fenix with the somewhat rare RB100 which is the warm tint model. I've always liked the color rendition of the RB100 but there were some problems with the glue or something and so they had to stop selling them, but many including mine have been just fine...

IMG_1049.JPG
img_1049.jpg

Left to right, VB-16 3 Watt, Fenix L2D 2xAA RB100 (using 2 normal alkaline AA's), Quark AA (using a 14500)

I realize the Fenix could probably put out a little more using a 14500 but I don't know where my extra 1xAA body is. Anyway this is more of a TINT thread not a Lumens thread :huh:

Ok, first of all, I tried something new here, but my aim wasn't the best on this so please be nice. I compared tints not only against a boring White surface, but also against a colorful airbrush painting my wife did some years ago. I thought that might be a nice way to see the color differences appear with indoor bulb, a blue-tint LED, and a warm-tint LED.

Left to right: Indoor light, just a overhead bulb as found in a typical home, very yellowy tinted isn't it?, then VB-16, then Fenix RB100, then Quark AA:
img_1025.jpg
img_1026.jpg
img_1027.jpg
img_1028.jpg

I think the tint on the Quark AA is just fine, even after loving my RB100 for over a year now.

Next is some side-by-side boring white-wall shots, with each flashlight set to about the same Low-Medium output, to see the tints. Left to right, the lineup then the beam shots at 0, -2 and -4 exposure:
img_1036.jpg
img_1029.jpg
img_1030.jpg
img_1033.jpg

Ok here's an obligatory Lumen shootout, all of them cranked up as high as they will go, to see if it shows any tint differences compared to the lower setting. Left to right, the the beam shots at 0, -2 and -4 exposure:
img_1037.jpg
img_1038.jpg
img_1041.jpg

And finally, the Low on Fenix L2d vs Moonlight on Quark AA. I used a timer so the first shot and second shot are exactly the same ISO, exposure, etc, and had my hand ready to turn off the Fenix between the 2 timer shots. What does it show? Well I don't know, but I did it anyway:
img_1046.jpg
img_1047.jpg

Thanks for looking, hopefully this is informative to someone more familiar with Fenix lights wondering if a Quark is for them. I wanted the Moonlight mode and also entered the world of 14500 cells with this light, so I have everything I want in a smaller package now.

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and tint comparison. I still have my P3D RB 100 and still love the tint of the rebel!

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a comparison of Quark low & medium against the 'low' of the Fenix?

hiker123

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for post. I was wondering if I should get the warm tint for camping or just get the regular version of the Quark AA2. Any insights would be great.
Cheers

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Regular Quark with Regular tint R2 has a warmer tint than my Fenix L2T v2 with Rebel 80 and has as smooth a beam. :twothumbs

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had planned on waiting for the warm tint Quarks, but after reading all the reviews, I couldn't resist getting a regular Q123 + a 1AA body. Turns out, I LOVE the tint on my Quark, it's much better than my P2D Q2, which is WAY better than both my L1D Q5, and my P3D Q5. The tint is one of my favorite things about my Quark...and I like a LOT of things about my Quark!:twothumbs