RL - 2088/Raptor/Streamlight ds led/SpiderFire - red led/MG L-Mini ll - Beamshots

Tora

Newly Enlightened
1300L / 2088/Raptor-1/Streamlight ds/SpiderFire - red led/MG L-Mini ll - Beamshots

:twothumbs - Sorry for taking so long - the batteries arrived just today.

I've taken comparative shots of each at 40 and 80 yrds. - this should give you an idea of amount of flood and throw of each in real life circumstances.

I also included all the flashlights together for size comparison.

I was most surprised by the SpiderFire red led - in one word - WOW:D
It is perfect for my needs. It is a red led and not a red lens - superb.

Now for the pictures..............

SpiderFire-40Yrds.jpg

L-Mini-40Yrds.jpg

Streamlightdsled-40Yrds.jpg

Raptor-1-40Yrds.jpg

UltraFireRL-2088-40Yrds.jpg

IMGP5033.jpg

SpiderFire-80Yrds.jpg

L-Minill80Yrds.jpg

Streamlightdsled-80Yrds.jpg

Raptor-1-80Yrds.jpg

UltraFireRL-2088-80Yrds.jpg

IMGP5035.jpg

SpiderFire-40Yrds-car.jpg

L-Mini-40Yrds-car.jpg

Streamlightdsled-40Yrds-car.jpg

Raptor-1-40Yrds-car.jpg

UltraFireRL-2088-40Yrdscar.jpg

The5Amigos.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

The 2088 is still a very good light. The 1300L is now the one I carry for massive flood at work. I gave the 2088 to a co-worker.

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics - thanks Tora!! This is what I've been waiting to see. This light puts out some major lumens. The flood is incredible as expected, but it also has great reach as well!

Great job!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

cuttingedge

Newly Enlightened
Great pics Tora!!! Finally glad to see the comparisons. I really like the UltraFire and now I am even more impressed. Thanks again.
buttrock.gif

Tora

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your replies. I didn't mean to have the other thread superceeded. I couldn't change the title and I wanted everyone to be able to see these results. I also had the photos lain out side by side. I guess they were re-arranged? Anyway, I also had just, last night, found out how to print on photos so I shall be doing so on all subsequent shots. I am learning. Question - if I give my thoughts on these flashlights....will it be considered a review and the whole thread moved to reviews? I wouldn't want that right now. I don't have the capability to give a true review anyway. I have no special equipment or training....some of these guys are electrical engineers :bow:...it took me a month to learn how to manipulate photos for heaven's sake. :eek:

I'll give my thoughts on the lights in real life application soon (at work as a Correctional Officer - they are destined to get banged up). I will have ample opportunity to describe the effects on inmates, and officers alike, on the Yard. There is one officer at work who HAD the brightest flashlight...I can't wait to surprise him with the THREE new work flashlights of mine.

The SpiderFire red led for night barracks checks - it is bright enough to freeze someone in their tracks, and if shinned in their eyes, it causes pain and forces them to look away...I know, I tried it on myself. All the while, I won't wake up the whole barracks. However, should I want to...I'll just whip out the UltraFire.

The Raptor - 1 is perfect for spotting an individual from 80 yrds. away. Instead of flooding 30 inmates at once and getting many...who...me?

The UltraFire RL-2088 is perfect for flooding a wide area with high lumens. Both the Raptor - 1 and the UltraFire are perfect for temporarily blinding an aggressive individual...even the SpiderFire.

I used to have a moniker on the yard by the inmates. I was called Batman because I used to spring from the shadows on the Yard and I USED to have many things on my duty (utility) belt. What will they think now that I will have three flashlights instead of one? Ah...I look forward to having fun on the Yard. :D

Last edited:

TAIGERSX

Newly Enlightened
I Just pulled the trigger :paypal:! So did the light come with the box ? or just bubble and HK newspaper wrap ? :D

cuttingedge

Newly Enlightened
Mine came in a paper envelope. The light was wrapped in bubble wrap. It was amazing there was no damage to the light. If your seller sends holster, hopefully he will put it in there for shipping. I had to wait 2 weeks for my holster. The more I use the light the more I like it. Very cool tint but I knew that when I ordered.
icon7.gif

Tora

Newly Enlightened
It looks as though I've sold some flashlights for JetBeam. The guys really like the Raptor - 1. On the distances we need to cover, it is perfect. It is also light and small. It really outshines the common flashlights that the other officers use.

The UltraFire really flloods an area. It is too big for some officer's tastes. That is fine..I shall continue to having the most lumens on demand. It also has plenty of throw...it is my portable searchlight.

I used the SpiderFire during the night checks in the barracks and it was funny to see the reactions on the faces of guys who were still awake and looking around trying to figure out where the big red ball of light on the ceiling was coming from.

A lot of the inmates have never seen such bright light coming from a flashlight before...so their various reactions are interesting and often funny. I am having fun...but it also feels good to know that I tried to get the best equipment for my needs...and succeeded.

Last edited:

Cigarman

Enlightened
My RL-2088 just arrived. Yay! The packaging was as previously mentioned and was a bit on the flimsy side, with the packaging labeled as a "Xenon Troch". Gonna have to get one of those :naughty: Anyways, the light was good in the hand, like a can of Redbull but much cooler :D Slapped some AW 18650's in and cleaned off some grease from the contact point on the battery holder. The stuff seemed to be prevalent throughout the holder cavity. Anyways, I compared it side by side with a Solarforce L950m. Wasn't 2x as bright or anything like what the advertising says but it was slightly brighter. The color is definitely more blue (8000k?) as opposed to the L950m's 6000k'ish color. Definitely a good thrower with a little less close sidespill than the solarforce. With the attached lanyard it would make a good club in a pinch as well. I'm happy, I'm sure others will be too. :thumbsup:

TAIGERSX

Newly Enlightened
I compared it side by side with a Solarforce L950m. Wasn't 2x as bright or anything like what the advertising says but it was slightly brighter.

I think the lumen needs to be quadruple in order to show the double brightness. Since you saw the Ultrafire is slightly brighter than the Solarforce ( with 650 lumens OTF) Ultrafire may push around 800 lumens OTF , I hope :naughty:. Anyway, still wating for mine to arrive :whistle: !

Tora

Newly Enlightened
My RL-2088 just arrived. Yay! The packaging was as previously mentioned and was a bit on the flimsy side, with the packaging labeled as a "Xenon Troch". Gonna have to get one of those :naughty: Anyways, the light was good in the hand, like a can of Redbull but much cooler :D Slapped some AW 18650's in and cleaned off some grease from the contact point on the battery holder. The stuff seemed to be prevalent throughout the holder cavity. Anyways, I compared it side by side with a Solarforce L950m. Wasn't 2x as bright or anything like what the advertising says but it was slightly brighter. The color is definitely more blue (8000k?) as opposed to the L950m's 6000k'ish color. Definitely a good thrower with a little less close sidespill than the solarforce. With the attached lanyard it would make a good club in a pinch as well. I'm happy, I'm sure others will be too. :thumbsup:

Would you post the comparitive shots of them? It would be great to see.
I really like the compact length of the UltraFire RL-2088 and its output in both flood and throw. The match-up I would really love to see is the UltraFire vs. the Legion ll.

Tora

Newly Enlightened
I ordered off of E-bay from:

hkelvisfever

Someone else got it off of Kaidomain.

I love it - it fits my needs.

Last edited:

TAIGERSX

Newly Enlightened
Hey Tora, my RL-2088 just landed. Which end of the battery tray goes to the front ? The end with the "nipple" ?

Thanks.

Nvm. I got it.

Last edited:

AbleArcher

Newly Enlightened
You've never heard of it but we have lots of cows
Would you post the comparitive shots of them? It would be great to see.
I really like the compact length of the UltraFire RL-2088 and its output in both flood and throw. The match-up I would really love to see is the UltraFire vs. the Legion ll.

Thanks for the shots, Tora. I was considering a Legion II but the recent hiccups with that light have really put me off and the UltraFire seems like a good alternative. So if anyone here would care to buy and produce a comparison of both before I decide.... :whistle:

Sorry if this question has already been covered but what's the build quality on the UltraFire like? I have a Raptor and that feels like a seriously well-made light so are they at all similar?

Tora

Newly Enlightened
Hey Tora, my RL-2088 just landed. Which end of the battery tray goes to the front ? The end with the "nipple" ?

Thanks.

Nvm. I got it.

Now that you know which way - Mark it. I put on white out at the correct end so I would never load the wrong way. Remember that this has a low also and that it has memory. I first thought that I had a defective unit when I turned it on and it didn't seem so bright....then I realized that it was I that wasn't so bright...I had it on low. Wait for total darkness tonight to try it. It stands out in the dark. I love mine and I use it several times a night at work, along with my others.

Tora

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the shots, Tora. I was considering a Legion II but the recent hiccups with that light have really put me off and the UltraFire seems like a good alternative. So if anyone here would care to buy and produce a comparison of both before I decide.... :whistle:

Sorry if this question has already been covered but what's the build quality on the UltraFire like? I have a Raptor and that feels like a seriously well-made light so are they at all similar?

It is a very well made product. It should stand up to rugged use. I use mine at work (Correctional Officer). I love it - it is a portable searchlight. The included case works well - made to fit duty belts.

This was my choice over the Legion ll. The Legion ll has too many functions to manipulate to get to high and the problems reported with it made me choose another. I was also going to get an Elektrolumens FatBoy but bought this when I had found out that they don't make them any more - they do for special order - I had found out too late as I had already purchased this. However, I am exceedingly happy with this purchase.

Last edited:

Tora

Newly Enlightened
Taigersx posted a beam shot and shots of the internal workings.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3011079#post3011079

Again, this great flashlight had proven its worth at work. I positively lit up a WWll style barracks when some of the inmates were doing things they shouldn't have been. As one officer put it - I turned night into day.

I do highly recommend this light to all. For the cost and the performance delivered - it is fantastic. It is rather large in diameter but it is relatively short in length for its output. People are still surprised when I light up the Yard and especially the barracks. I've accidently shone the light into the eyes of inmates from 100 feet and still they must turn away as it is blindingly bright - in a wide area.