I am new here but would like to toss my maglite

palm tree man

Newly Enlightened
I have a maglite and have been very disappointed with it. However it is the brightest flashlight I have been able to find. I know you all can help me out. I want a good flashlight that is considerably brighter than my maglite, rechargeable and under $100.00. Please no LED suggestions only HID. Does it exist? If so what do you recommend? -Thanks

AusKipper

Enlightened
Why no LED? why only HID?

I dont think you will find any decent HID's under $100.

If I was you I would upgrade my Mag and make it into something like a Mag85, or, If i wanted something more pocketable, I would get a Led along the lines of a TK11 or TK20.

The Fenix TK40 is also a LED that would blow your stock mag lite away ;) though a bit over the $100 budget.

And any torch can be rechargeable with rechargeable batteries.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a number of things you can do to upgrade the M@g and plenty of nice lights brighter than a M@g.
As for HIDs if you want under $100 then you're going to be stuck with a large beast of an HID like those from Sam's Club (aka Power on Board) or a Stanley HID.
If you want a more compact light you're going to have to spend about twice as much for an HID... or get an LED.
A common mod option to put more power into the body of the M@g is a nice ROP mod, which can be done for under $100. This uses a hotwire bulb and battery packs, the drawback is runtime.
An LED on the other hand can be run from less or smaller cells, and be plenty bright.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Stanley HID is the only one that would come close to fitting the bill. I think you may want to reconsider the no LED option. You may not be aware what the newest generation of LED lights can do.

Marduke

Flashaholic
It sounds like someone has only ever seen the dim blue 5mm LED lights, and never seen a modern high power emitter in action.

There are lights the size if your thumb that are brighter than any MagLite ever made.*

*I'm talking stock, not CPF customs or mods.

palm tree man

Newly Enlightened
I do have an open mind. The only led lights that I have been exposed to cast a very faint blue color just bright enough to see your next step. If there are better leds then I would like to try them, especially if they are brighter than my mag 3d. I would like to have a smaller body than my mag. This forum is great, please keep the suggestions coming!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats it!

ANY modern led light kills the Mag, may the maker be named Jetbeam, Fenix, Olight, L-Mini, SF, a Malkoff insert, Inova, even the lights from cheaper shops (w. inconsistent QM).

Most of them, at least the 1*18650 and 2*CR123 class, can give the "small" 10 W HIDs a competition.
Less bright, but much better beam color.
High power quad-led like Fenix TK40, or Jetbeam M1X, kick even these HIDs.

And the pro: small, light and pocketable

As a hiker I'd advise to go the light and small way, means a single emitter led light running on a single 18650 Li-Ion cell, like Jetbeam Jet III Pro Ultra.
You will like the main advantage of led - giving good light when dimmed - when You start to use multilevel lights.

... for high power HIDs, seach at "spotlights and HID" part here in cpf.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like someone has only ever seen the dim blue 5mm LED lights, and never seen a modern high power emitter in action.

There are lights the size if your thumb that are brighter than any MagLite ever made.*

+1 on that,

you have a number of choices available, spend the $100 on the best light you can find for that price point (i'm voting LED by the way, without getting into the tint of the LED here) or get a budget LED light to see what the hype is all about and then wonder, hmmmm, if i can get this much light for less than $50, what else is available? :D

i have recently purchased a budget LED light for my nightfishing trips, i got the Romisen RC-G2 II Q5, 2 mode LED light, it can run on 1xCR123 (or RCR123) and has an extension tube for 2xAA and is a forward clicky (which means that i can just gently push in the tailcap switch to get a momentary burst of light and fully depress it to click it on) and after using the discount code and including the cost of shipping, it was about $26.

A great bargain for a light that beats my stock 3D mag hands down.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather than argue with the OP's criteria, let's try to answer it.
  • a good flashlight
  • considerably brighter than my maglite,
  • rechargeable
  • under $100.00.
  • no LED suggestions
This ticks all of those boxes. I have one, and it's a beauty. It's great quality, it's WAY brighter than even a xenon-equipped 6D Maglite, uses rechargeable cells, is under US$100 (even less until tomorrow night!), and is not LED (it's incan).

And, as a bonus, it's smaller than a 2C Maglite. Only compromise is the switch position, but you learn to live with that.

One point to note - batteries and Li-Ion charger are extra.

(PS, if you're tossing your Maglite, plenty of people here will happily catch it for you!)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather than argue with the OP's criteria, let's try to answer it.
  • a good flashlight
  • considerably brighter than my maglite,
  • rechargeable
  • under $100.00.
  • no LED suggestions
This ticks all of those boxes. I have one, and it's a beauty. It's great quality, it's WAY brighter than even a xenon-equipped 6D Maglite, uses rechargeable cells, is under US$100 (even less until tomorrow night!), and is not LED (it's incan).
The OP's criteria is most likely not based on an accurate understanding. No harm helping him to think about the alternatives. Also you are not staying within the OP's criteria posting that light as a suggestion.

only HID.
:poke:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
palm tree man, :welcome:

Here on CPF, we have a flashlight recommendation checklist that helps tremendously when people come here looking for a new flashlight. If you fill it out, we will be must better equipment to help give you recommendations:

Recommend a Flashlight Checklist:
(Don't worry about all the questions, just the ones you feel strongly about!)

Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
____I am in North America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in South America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Europe. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in the Middle East. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Africa. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Asia, Japan or Micronesia. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Australia. More precisely I am in _______________.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I only want to pay $1-10.
____I can spend $15-30.
____I could spend $40-60.
____I am willing to spend $80-$120.
____I have no limit!

2) Format:

____I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a portable spotlight.

3) Length:

____I don't care.
____1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

____I don't care.
____I prefer a long narrow light.
____I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
____I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.
____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
____I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.
____I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
____Waterproof – how deep: _____________
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Once again, welcome to CPF.

-Robert

thedeske

Enlightened

+2

Indeed. My first mouth hanging open moment was not long ago.

Blacksidesniper

Newly Enlightened
My $65 LED Olight is 10 times as bright as a 4-D cell maglight. And you can get rechargeable batteries for it. :D . Did I say it is 5 inches long?

mbiraman

Newly Enlightened
As someone who has just recently moved up from a minimag 2xAA to LED i can tell you there are tons of lights out there that blow the mags away. The light i got was a Quark AA and on the supplied single AA battery it was easily 3-5 times brighter than my 2xAA magmini. Thats right my low setting on the Quark was about the same as my maglight and i have the opportunity to increase the light of the Quark by about 75% if i put it on lithium. My quark is only one of many lights that are similar and would do the job. You'll find tons of info here on this site and lots of great folks to give you a hand but i want to warn you that there is a virus here. You remember the old Pringles commercials, "Bet you can't eat only one", well there's a similar situation here of which i'm starting to feel in myself, called "Bet you can't buy only one light". There that good.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost ANY other flashlight is brighter than a Maglite.

Get a SureFire.

Illum

Flashaholic
a maglite is only 50% complete actually...and comes this way from the factory out of the package. It'll require 50% of improvement you as an individual must do to make it better.

too many of us have started just sticking with the 50% it came as, which isn't the best way to present a maglite IMO

1wrx7

Enlightened
I do have an open mind. The only led lights that I have been exposed to cast a very faint blue color just bright enough to see your next step. If there are better leds then I would like to try them, especially if they are brighter than my mag 3d. I would like to have a smaller body than my mag. This forum is great, please keep the suggestions coming!

An open mind is a good thing around here:welcome:

Do you mean that the LED's you've seen, seem dimmer than your Mag 3D? If so... you're going to fall out of your chair when you see a real LED:eek: My EDC "every day carry" light is just under 4" long. A guy at my work got a 50-90 LED... can't remember... showerhead type light. My little EDC light put it to shame. It also makes my stock 4D Mag look like a candle:naughty:

There are so many flashlight's you can get for arond $100 that will shame you Mag it's not funny. You could also modify the Mag and make it very impressive. Keep reading... especially the checklist RobertM posted... otherwise you may find yourself with six new flashlights trying to find the right one:broke:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see your posts are still delayed due to needing clearance from a moderator. You are going to be blown away by what modern LED flashlights can do. Seriously. Fill in the form Robert posted and then we can direct you to some good lights.

:welcome:

davidt

Enlightened

Just wait until you try some high power led lights, you don't know what you're missing.

time for my Cree eats it-pic :)

left, at front wheel: Fenix L1D,
middle: Cree P4 @ ~900-950 mA w. Sandwich Shoppe McR 19 mm reflector
up middle, that brown dot: Mag 2D with fresh batts

dist. lamps <-> wall ~ 10 meters

i'll take the "medium flood, lighting everything up"-beam of the led any time, compared to the "5-10 meters more distance"-dot of a totally focused Mag,
let alone the size difference (the cree is inside a SF 6P running on an 18650 --> 2+ hours full power)
throwers are nice, but somewhat a very limited application

anfwze53b5281js6s.jpg

Here is an old post I found to show what good led lights are capable of. That cree p4 is 2 year old technology, leds are even brighter nowadays.