The Quark lights thread! (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egsise

Banned
Yep! I bought the Olight T-series Red Filter and it fits perfectly to the Quark 2AA. :)
Fenix filter will not function (they have a smaller diameter).

Is the Olight red filter lens removable like in the Fenix red filter?

Or is 4sevens going to make their own filters and diffuser cones?

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beacon mode is interesting on the Qs, a 1 second long flash about every 11 seconds on mine. It would seem that a somewhat faster rate might be desired, but then again, I guess it wouldn't last as long that way... any thoughts on this? Seems like it should run on beacon for at least a couple of days.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beacon mode is interesting on the Qs, a 1 second long flash about every 11 seconds on mine. It would seem that a somewhat faster rate might be desired, but then again, I guess it wouldn't last as long that way... any thoughts on this? Seems like it should run on beacon for at least a couple of days.
We're looking at other options such as driving it at a lower current as well as the time between pulses. There are too many possibilities.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palor wrote: Yep! I bought the Olight T-series Red Filter and it fits perfectly to the Quark 2AA. :)

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

Egsise

Banned
The 11 second off, 1 second on, 18h runtime is good compromise between flash rate and runtime imho.
At least it should not be faster or runtime could be an issue.
If you think the worst case scenario: no extra cells, your only cell is half empty, it's really cold.....18h-50%-how much cold effects(NiMH), -20%?= thats just ~7 hours of beacon.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Egsise... thanks for the spec... didn't realize it was an 18 hour runtime... I presume that's with an AA alkaline? Do we know? If so, it would be days with an L91 lithium. Good reason to always keep a spare L91 or two on board when leaving home. While many folks bemoan the inclusion of sos/strobe/beacon modes on flashlights (and I wouldn't want them on ALL of my lights), I'm really glad to have a few lights (Quarks, Jets, Litefluxes) which have these modes... one never knows when they could save your life!

Last edited:

mbiraman

Newly Enlightened
I don't mind the sos and beacon mode at all, mainly because i don't have to go threw them to get to the med. or high setting from moonlight. I'm not sure when i'd ever use it even but you never know. I have a question about the beacon mode . Mine also goes on about every 11 secs. which is fine to me. When it comes on it goes from moonlight to high in about a 1/3 or 1/2 a second ( ramping up? ) rather than just ON, high. Is that other peoples experience??

burntoshine

Enlightened
I don't mind the sos and beacon mode at all, mainly because i don't have to go threw them to get to the med. or high setting from moonlight. I'm not sure when i'd ever use it even but you never know. I have a question about the beacon mode . Mine also goes on about every 11 secs. which is fine to me. When it comes on it goes from moonlight to high in about a 1/3 or 1/2 a second ( ramping up? ) rather than just ON, high. Is that other peoples experience??

yeah, same here.

antiplex

Newly Enlightened
thank you all very much for your feedback. i didn't mean to complain at all, i like the light as it is, i just meant to post some first impressions.

DHart said:
The Quarks excel at being throwers. ANd they're great general use lights as well. But they can't be everything for all needs.

The kind of light you are describing with a wider, softer edge hotspot and brighter spill makes for a wonderful general use light, especially indoors, and there are a few awesome lights which will give you that: LF3XT, LF2XT, D10, etc.

No single light can perfectly meet every illumination need!
i don't have many other good led-lights that i could compare the quark with so i was not sure what e.g. 'plenty of spill' or 'little flood' actually would look like.
spill is fine and sure the quark makes a great thrower!
funny you mention the LF3XT, i was waiting for the looong announced 2aa tube fot this one quite some time but finally decided that i could use the light pretty soon for my travels to remote parts of south-east-asia instead of waiting and hearing excuses for further delays.
i absolutely don't regret having decided on a quark now but i might think about getting a diffuser lens if available one day.
Palor said:
Yep! I bought the Olight T-series Red Filter and it fits perfectly to the Quark 2AA. :)
thank you very much for this information! maybe if you once find the time, could you take a closeup picture showing the installed filter from the side or diagonal?
how tight does the filter sit? i'd be a bit afraid of losing it maybe...

regarding the beacon, i like the flash rate but was surprised it flashes at full power. for 99% of my uses a lower mode (maybe 3 or 4) would be enough, the only situation for full-power beacon i could imagine would be an emergency case but there i might switch to s.o.s. mode probably.
talkin about the s.o.s. signal mode, anybody knows what runtime can be expected here? it's not listed in the manual. i also not sure if s.o.s. uses full power or maybe the 70 lumen setting...

EDIT: beacon also ramping up and down here - nice!

jcw122

Enlightened
I'm really torn between Regular and Tactical. I've never had a "nice" light so I'm unsure which UI would be best. I do like the forward clicky on the Tac though because I like being quiet, so momentary-on would be useful, but I'm not sure if I would want to be readily able to access multiple modes instead of only 2.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really torn between Regular and Tactical. I've never had a "nice" light so I'm unsure which UI would be best. I do like the forward clicky on the Tac though because I like being quiet, so momentary-on would be useful, but I'm not sure if I would want to be readily able to access multiple modes instead of only 2.

For me it is irritating cycling through modes. I only use two levels most of the time so I am getting a tactical. Extra modes like SOS and strobe are fine on a light as long as they are accessed through a separate menu and not part of the regular UI. I just never liked having to go through them to get to a desired level. That's just me though and there are plenty who don't care. If you are the kind of person who prefers simplicity then go for the Tactical.

jahxman

Enlightened
For me it is irritating cycling through modes. I only use two levels most of the time so I am getting a tactical. Extra modes like SOS and strobe are fine on a light as long as they are accessed through a separate menu and not part of the regular UI. I just never liked having to go through them to get to a desired level. That's just me though and there are plenty who don't care. If you are the kind of person who prefers simplicity then go for the Tactical.

+1 :thumbsup:

I went for tactical also, for the same reasons. I really only use two modes usually, very low and high enough, so I want those easily accessible.

It's nice to have programmability and other fancy modes, but they should be hidden. set it and forget it. sounds like an infomercial. :nana:

Palor

Newly Enlightened
thank you very much for this information! maybe if you once find the time, could you take a closeup picture showing the installed filter from the side or diagonal?
how tight does the filter sit? i'd be a bit afraid of losing it maybe...

The design of the Olight Red Filter is quite nice. The filter is made of kind of rubber and fits to two ranges of diameter.
For product details see:
http://www.olightworld.com/proi/cn/product_detail.asp?productid=445

For the Quarks the smaller diameter will be used. Therefore you find some rubber steps near the lens. I was also afraid of the tightness but I must say the filter holds quite well to my Quark. Furthermore you can attach a thin thread to the ring on the filter (see ring on lower right sight of following picture) if you are walking in rough terrain (i.e. through woods).

Another advantage I see: The front part of the filter sticks on the light. The rest of the filter has a bigger diameter, so there is a gap of 1-2 mm between the filter and the light. On turbo mode the heat can dissipate here. :thumbsup:
I try to provide some pictures.

Egsise said:
Is the Olight red filter lens removable like in the Fenix red filter?

Or is 4sevens going to make their own filters and diffuser cones?

I haven't checked if the lens is removable. Maybe somebody else knows.
But I can check when I am back home.
I wrote an email to 4sevens regarding the filters and from what I understood it seems that they are working on filters. But that's not for sure. But they will definetly provide accessories to their lights (like single lanyards, holster) in the future (this was an answer in another email) :)

mbiraman said:
I have a question about the beacon mode . Mine also goes on about every 11 secs. which is fine to me. When it comes on it goes from moonlight to high in about a 1/3 or 1/2 a second ( ramping up? ) rather than just ON, high. Is that other peoples experience??

Yes. First there are 3 short turbo mode beacons and after that every appr. 10 seconds a ramping from low to high. I was also worried the first time but now I like the design of the beacon mode.

Hope this helps,

Palor

Last edited:

Egsise

Banned
Egsise... thanks for the spec... didn't realize it was an 18 hour runtime... I presume that's with an AA alkaline? Do we know? If so, it would be days with an L91 lithium. Good reason to always keep a spare L91 or two on board when leaving home. While many folks bemoan the inclusion of sos/strobe/beacon modes on flashlights (and I wouldn't want them on ALL of my lights), I'm really glad to have a few lights (Quarks, Jets, Litefluxes) which have these modes... one never knows when they could save your life!
18h beacon mode is in the specs of AA and AA² models, with 123 its 12h and with 123² 23h.
Stated runtimes seems to be with eneloops, not alkaline.

Thanks Palor!

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
18h beacon mode is in the specs of AA and AA² models, with 123 its 12h and with 123² 23h.
Stated runtimes seems to be with eneloops, not alkaline.

Thanks Palor!

Are those specs from a thread somewhere? I couldn't find any of that data on the 4Sevens website or Quark brochure.

When reading Quarks stated runtimes for max and moonmode on the 4Sevens website & brochure I didn't see any reference to what power source was used in the determination. Obviously in the case of 123 it would be a CR123, but in the case of AA it simply lists "AA" battery.

jcw122

Enlightened
Are those specs from a thread somewhere? I couldn't find any of that data on the 4Sevens website or Quark brochure.

When reading Quarks stated runtimes for max and moonmode on the 4Sevens website & brochure I didn't see any reference to what power source was used in the determination. Obviously in the case of 123 it would be a CR123, but in the case of AA it simply lists "AA" battery.

I emailed 4Sevens a few weeks ago asking that. It is on NiHM. And the Beacon specs are right on the Quark product pages.

Palor

Newly Enlightened
Here are some pictures regarding the Olight T-Series Red Filter.

First picture: The "steps" for the smaller diameter near the red lens. The head of the Quark fits perfectly tight in between the steps.

9m8qkdbw.jpg

Here is the gap between the filter and the casing. (The filter has a second diamter range for lights with bigger head diameter)

4n5dz9zt.jpg

And here with Quark and Filter in use:

82nqn8vb.jpg

The lens itself sticks between the steps. I haven't tried to remove the lens but I think it can be removed, but I won't test it.

Greetings,

Palor

ChoppedBroccoli

Newly Enlightened
Received my 2xAA (AA2) last Friday.

On normal alkalines I noticed absolutely NO difference between HI and MAX.
Switched to freshly charged 2400mah nimh batteries. Again, NO visible difference between high and max. In fact max doesn't seem to be THAT bright, its bright, but my buddy's 1xAA MF DA1 wasn't too far off.

I know the Quark AA needs more juice to be pushed to max, but shouldnt 2xAA be enough for the true 170 lumen max? I'll try another set of nimh tonight, but I'm curious if other people are noticing this or if I got a defective unit.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.