6P w/Malkoff M60 or LX2?

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
That's my next dilemma - which way to go?

6P/M60 combo is supposedly even brighter, but is the 400 lumen Malkoff claim at the emitter or out the front? This combo costs a bit more than a stock LX2, but if it's REALLY doing 400 lumens I'd gladly go that route.

EXCEPT for one thing - what about beam pattern with the M60?

I like a blend, just like what I've seen from the LX2 - nice spot, decent flood...

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check my beamshots here

The M60 is about 220 lumens.
The beam has a nice hotspot, with alot of smooth spill.

The LX2 has a larger hotspot, with spill aswell, but not quite as bright.

The LX2 has a pocket clip, and a really good swith design.
However i would rather drop my cheaper 6P with malkoff then my LX2.

:thumbsup:

What will be the main purpose of the light?

Edit- MrGman's lumen readings:
Malkoff M60____231__turn-on___2 primaries___Surefire 6P host
Malkoff M60____220__warm, ___2 primaries___Surefire 6P hos

Last edited:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
What will be the main purpose of the light?

Anything and everything, that's why my 6PL, 30 lumen pocket light of unknown brand, and 3C Maglite ain't enough lol!

And that Mag, well I thought of doing mods with it, but since there's no such thing (far as I can see) as anything beyond regular alkaline batteries I think it's about to be given away...

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you plan on EDC the LX2 would probably be better as it has a clip and is a little slimmer.

However if you want rechargable, get one of the bored out 6P's that are in the mod section!
(Link)
I have one (as you can see in my sig line) and i love it.

If you plan on getting lights that use 18650's in the future, that would probably be the best in the long run, because always buying primaries hurts the wallet

Last edited:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
Nah, I'm fine with primaries - I put maybe max of 15 minutes a week total on my lights, despite how frequently I use them.

Most of my usage is less than a minute or two at a time.

And there's times my lights sit for 3 days straight, sometimes even a week - I have 3 lights and they all get used, but sometimes one will sit there for several days...

I've been in the rechargeable category before, BIGTIME. These days aren't that category...

zven

Enlightened
From your mention of 400 lumens for the Malkoff, can I assume you're talking about one of the MC-E drop-ins?

If so, then for my impression of your preference in beam profile (throwy), and for general EDC practicality, there is no contest: get the LX2. Although Malkoff's MC-E drop-ins give great output, they apparently are pretty lacking in throw, unlike the LX2. Plus, with the LX2, you have the optional lower level of output, which makes it very nice in everyday anything/everything use.

If, however, you're talking about one of the normal Q5 drop-ins with the 8-degree optic (i.e., non-floody), then I think it's more of a tossup. Yes, the standard M60 and the LX2 differ in output and beam pattern, but not enough to matter in everyday use (at least from what I've seen and read). Comparable throw, similar output, both useful spill. I guess I'd decide based on whether you want a beefier-feeling light (6P w/ M60), or a slimmer one with an optional lower level (LX2).

In either case, a quick search should lead you to beamshots of whichever variety of Malkoff drop-in you're considering.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are total opposites, almost pure spot vs. pure flood.
I'd go for a Malkoff M60W, where you actually have some decent and usable spill(though still a spot oriented beam), and much better tint than you're going to get from a stock SF.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
My LX2 is clearly brighter than my M60. Individual Malkoff's and LX2's will naturally vary of course.

If you have a host for a Malkoff then go that direction but if you have to buy a host and a Malkoff then just get the LX2 and an F04.

Between these 2 choices there is no poor decision IMO!

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
Yeah I think I'm leaning toward the 6P/M60 setup - I incorrectly thought the M60 was $125 rather than $55.

Question though - can I put this in an incandescent 6P or do I need the 6PL host?

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire LX2 will be the sexier one of the two lights mentioned being a new model with two modes etc but for rock solid dependable use, I would consider by bog standard 6P incan host with Malkoff M60 my most bullet proof combo of my meagre collection. You just know it's going to work everytime!!!

James....

gsxrac

Enlightened
Me personally I dont like holsters for EDC so id have to say LX2. And if you go with the Malkoff host you can get a good low mode using his high/low bezel ring? But if you REALLY want a Surefire host and your hung up on a M60 combination of some flavor go C2 instead ;) That way you get HAIII AND a pocket clip :grin2:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
Me personally I dont like holsters for EDC so id have to say LX2. And if you go with the Malkoff host you can get a good low mode using his high/low bezel ring? But if you REALLY want a Surefire host and your hung up on a M60 combination of some flavor go C2 instead ;) That way you get HAIII AND a pocket clip :grin2:

Well, finishing doesn't matter that much to me because I'm just going to bang it up anyway sooner or later. It's one reason I wish there were more straight metal options out there - I have this old 30 lumen LED light of unknown manufacture with tons of dings on it but it looks brand new from 5 feet away, because it's silver.

My 6PL on the other hand already has visible scars after one month - two minor drops, but that black crap...

As for what I really want - unfortunately you guys and this site have CORRUPTED ME!

Well okay, I surely will never need 50 lights or anything, but I'm really seeing the possibility of owning well over a grand in flashlights within a couple years here...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I'm with Sgt. LED all the way - you already have a great host - the 6P -, now you just need the great drop-in, the Malkoff M60. A top-quality product that can go from host to host if/when you upgrade hosts (C2, C3, etc). For ~$55 or so, they are a bargain if you value quality.

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
You really need to buy BOTH! I have an MD2-M30 (18650), MD2-M60 (2xCR123), Z2-M60 (2xCR123) and LX2. I carry my LX2 most of the time now, but carry one of my MD2 lights or Z2 for variety! The LX2 with its two way pocket clip and thin body is easy to carry in your pocket bezel down. A 6P is not quite as convenient to carry, but still reasonable.

ColoradoStoneman

Newly Enlightened
While expensive, the LX2 is a really nice light. I like to play with flashlights, and have a TK11 R2, M20 R2, and a Jet-III M, in this class of lights, but if I could only have one light, I think it would be an LX2.

In practical terms, they are all great, including the M60 in the host of your choice. When you get to the cool factor, the LX2 wins. It really is the best in this class in my view. I like 18650 lights, but that is about being cheap. Just buying CR123's in bulk isn't that much more expensive in real life.

If you can shell out $195 for an LX2, I don't think the additional cost of being married to CR123's is that much of an issue. It definitely is more convenient.

You just can't go wrong with any of them.

The only thing that stops me from adding an LX2 to the collection, is that I have that money set aside toward an L35 HID.

Let there be light, here's my wallet. :twothumbs