My Super-Custom Torch - and a Challenge

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the proud tradition of McGizmo, Lambda and DSpeck, I proudly present this fully built, fully operational, one-off custom light creation. It is quite possibly the most unique mod ever made. It is also probably one of the most "ghetto" flashlights that actually works. I hope that this project gives some hope to you guys out there who are like me...no lathe, no drill presses, no fancy materials or machinery of any kind. There's nothing elite or exclusive about this mod. Anyone can build a torch like this or maybe one that's even more...

Anyway, here are the details:

1. The lamp assembly: I took a spare 2-cell PR bulb and a Mag reflector which was originally cut down for use with an LS mod. I potted the bulb using white tub-and-tile acrylic caulk. Since the bead was pretty thick. I stuck it in the toaster oven to accelerate the cure and drying. I used scotch tape to keep the caulk from oozing out the back of the reflector hole.

fbf98528.jpg

2. The head/bezel: I found that a plastic Stonyfield drinkable yogurt bottle could be cut down to fit the barrel of my light and also provide a perfect mounting surface for the salvaged Mag reflector. I cut it down until the lip of the reflector fit snugly against the cut edge. For the lens, I had some plastic clamshell packaging from a Sony camcorder battery so I cut a disk out of a flat area using the reflector as a template. I then used some wide clear plastic tape to stick the lens to the bezel.

fbf98521.jpg

3. The body tube: Even a wrecked spare Mag tube would be too classy for this mod. Instead, luckily, I ran out of Reynolds aluminum foil this week so I used the heavy cardboard tube as the body. No need for a lathe to mill or thread this sucker. An X-Acto knife would be all I needed. Also, bulked up C-cells fit pretty well so I guess this would be a C-cell torch. A plastic film can would plug up the back and keep dirt out.

fbf9718e.jpg

4. The electronics: Hmm, since I had just decimated my spare Mag switch, that was out. However, wandering around my garage, I found a light switch that was left over after I had done a few conversions to rotary dimmers throughout the house. It had plenty of voltage and current capacity, no worries there. For wiring, I pulled some wires off of a scavenged crossover from a dead pair of Infinity speakers I'd had since college. I soldered a wire to the body of the PR base of the bulb and ran it to one pole of the switch. I ran another length of wire from the second pole to a Mag D spring. I isolated the negative battery contact from the switch by using a trimmed cap from a plastic film can. The batteries would get dropped into the tube, contact the Mag spring on one end and the tip of the bulb base on the other end, thus completing the circuit.

fbf96fb7.jpg

5. Assembly: I cut a hole in the side of the cardboard tube so I could shove the light switch through. I fastened it to the tube by using four spare screws I found at the bottom of my tool box. I completed the look of the torch by spraying it with a leftover can of high temperature semi-gloss black paint. Voila! Done.

fbf96d71.jpg

fbf96aa0.jpg

The nice thing is, the head comes right off (although tethered to the switch by the wire soldered to the bulb) to accommodate battery changes.

And of course, the obligatory beamshot:

fbf96a9f.jpg

With this mod, I issue a challenge. Is anyone up to building a torch that is even more amazing, freakish and ghetto than my creation? Why go in search of excellence when you can go in search of the grotesque? It's so much cheaper and just as challenging in its own way.

Wilkey

jtice

Flashaholic
HHAHAHAHAHA what a light? That must have cost at least 5 bucks!

Hmmm, i dont think I could beat that. ai might as well not even try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Very creative though, I have to give you that. I kinda thought about doing Something like this. But am afraid I'd break it right after making it. LOL

Im excited to see what others will challenge your light with.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Cool!

Let's see, with a TP roll core, and some bundled AAs.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what to say about that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Weird looking beam BTW. You could of used 1" PVC pipe and a radioshack switch instead for the body & switch. But hey, if your on a budget... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm thinking of using 1/2" PVC for 2 AA's for a 50ma 10mm jumbo orange LED I still haven't fired up that I've had for several years.. it's 12,000 mcd btw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Wilkey... have you tried the waterproof test yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing the GGF (Ginseng Ghetto Flashlight) in B/S/T. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

-Jim

kubolaw

Enlightened
Cool!! Reminds me of my childhood days making flashlights out of old paper towel tubes. I didn't have the means to get any of those hi-falutin' reflectors, so I had to make my own out of a cone of cardboard and silver origami paper. It wasn't pretty, but it was a light!

Thanks for bringing back some nice memories!

John

McGizmo

Flashaholic
PayPal sent; if rejected, can we talk trade? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's not what you got but how you use it! Good Job!

with respect and admiration,

- Don

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kubolaw,

You made flashlights as a kid?? Wow, a Flashaholic from the start! I made stuff like stereo speakers out of shoeboxes and a skateboard out of a board and wheels off of a roll-out bed, but never a flashlight.

Larry,

I've found that the cardboard tube from a certain feminine products insertion device works with AA's...but seeing as how this is a general audience BB, I'll refrain from discussing the details /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But on topic, paper tubes make a great, easily modified battery tube, and it's ecologically sound too!

GGF! Haha, what a legacy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Shhh,

Don't tell anyone, but I'm in negotiations with a major manufacturer of tactical lighting tools to license and produce these for covert operations. Really, really low budget covert operations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

Wilkey

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
We can now have a new forum...Eco-Lights! Remember the light made out of 2x4's from about a month or so ago? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well...this is pretty crazy...but not as cool as yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

seriously...nice work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow,

Roth, that IS a wacky mod! I think mine is more low budget but yours is more bizarre. I can just imagine telling your sister that you fixed the blow dryer so that it now emits super-airless drying power as evidenced by the lack of breeze and the orange-red glow.

BTW, have you gotten rid of that juice yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wilkey

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes...the hazmat team (mom) came about a week after i posted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jackie wasn't too happy about it...but who cares about her...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ginseng,

Is the tactical switch a "soft" touch for real covert silence? If it's a trade secret or proprietary, I'll understand.

- Don

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
A couple loose fitting rubber bands around the ol' paper towel tube ought to make for a nice CombatGrip for that tac light. Spray some more of that black paint on the rubber bands and it's a nice covert color. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Introducing the GGTF: Ginseng Ghetto Tactical Flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

-Jim

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent work!

But never forget those intrepid old-school flashoholics who have brought us such incredible wonders as the "Toylet" (by TheLEDMuseum himself no less) which can be viewed in all it's glory in the Stupid flashlight contest.

Let us also not forget the amazing "Empty Costco Brand Bulk Laundary Detergent Light" (by Saaby) which also could be found above.

McGizmo also made a very nice useful light for this contest before he started mucking about with all these 'novelty' lights he makes nowadays. Find me one of his current mods with an estimated runtime measured in fortnights - they are all mere toys compared to the "12 volt solar charged lantern with single LED".

If only we could get him back on track ... if only ...

Pat

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
Anyone think we should do another 'stupid flashlight contest'? I'm sure I can think of something. (It takes a lot of work to come up with completely off-the-wall ideas... or sometimes you just need to trip over something interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Joe400

Newly Enlightened
Frozen in Liquid Carbonite somewhere in Illinois
Ummmm....Wellll....Uhhhhh, I don't know what to say. Im not sure if I should laugh or run, scream and hide. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

J/K I think your light is pretty cool. Between you and Rothrandir we seem to have a couple of mad scientists on the forum. You guys have inspired me to put my creative mind to work, lets see what crazy idea I might come up with.

MUAAWWWWWWWWW! ::rubbing hands & shifting eyes::