Found clickie tailcap at Frys... and....

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
First the cap is a Ram Instruments piece. It screws on perfectly and has a red button. It is fairly easy to push, and feels slightly chincy...

It does have momentary. And at $5.99 I couldn't have gone much wrong.

And second. I have 2 and 3 cell D Craftsman Yellow Tool Lights with battery indicators. I turn everything on and check it out at least once a week. This 3D was looking sorta yellow. I popped three new Alkys in it... much better... put a 2.4v .7a bulb in it... POW!.... put a Mag 3 cell Whitestar bulb... tweaked the rim until I had a nice roughly 16" spot on the wall at some 20-22 feet away. I tried it against my Prodigy 4aa Liths and KPR103. The spot of the Craftsman is brighter at that distance, but the Prodigy is just big smooth WHITE! It will be dark soon, and some outdoors testing will follow.

If I ever counted up and listed every light I have, I would certainly scare myself!!!

And now that I know about good lights (or good CHEAP lights that members here tell about) I KNOW it ain't EVEN over!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Okay, 3D Craftsman with fresh Alkys and Whitestar 3 cell bulb against TEC 40 Energizers KPR103, and Prodigy 4aa Lith KPR103.

The Craftsman will 'spot' an area better than the other lights. It will LIGHT UP the stop sign at the far end of the block (and these are LONG blocks - and I'm third house from one end). The TEC 40 is a good medium range flood light. It will really light up a tree for example. The Prodigy is good to flood an area the Craftsman spots. The TEC and Prodigy will reflect off the sign, but not light it up like the Craftsman.

I don't think any of my Mags will do spot or flood better than these lights, but on another night I'll try 'em all.

Further note: I salvaged my Green 2D Mag that had stopped working. I finally after MUCH head scratching found a ground issue where the body/spring/cap come together. I modded it with 3Cs using the Joe Shmoe CHEAP method of wrapping the Cs in cardboard until they didn't rattle in the body. I have much bulb experimentation to do to try and get a decent spot. I destroyed a Halogen 2.8v .8a already... It just don't seem to have it using 3.6v bulbs. (The new 2D will focus SO tight it looks brighter).

Saaby

Flashaholic
The Craftsman will 'spot' an area better than the other lights. It will LIGHT UP the stop sign at the far end of the block (and these are LONG blocks - and I'm third house from one end).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I donno...that's hardly a valid test, for an ongoing discussion on stop signs and such see this
grin.gif

PS I thought you were going to say that the Craftsman surpased the Sams Choice and became your new fav. light of all time...oh well. I know a light that easily could become your fav though
wink.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The Sams choice is near me here at the computer. It would compare more to the TEC and Prodigy being fixed focus and textured reflector. It would light up the immediate area splendidly!

Like I said somewhere... if I ever counted them all up and listed them, it would scare me badly!

Saaby

Flashaholic
"if I ever counted them all up"

What are "them?" All your lights??

Saaby

Flashaholic
I have lots of Pens and Pencils as well...they just happen to be Playboy Joe Shmoe quality
winkie.jpg

Ok everyone...carry on.