Why I'm (probably) done with Ra Lights

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, okay. First off, I really like Henry's lights and I think he has done some great things for flashlights. However, I doubt I'll ever buy another one. It has little to do with the lights themselves, but more with "business".

I was an early-opter on both the Twisty (a light I still love) and the Clicky (I sold it). I don't remember what I paid for the Twisty, but it was in the $165 range. I'm still okay with that purchase and consider it worth the money. However, I pre-ordered the Ra Clicky 170-lumen model. This was before the "Executive" or "Tactical" models. I pre-paid $235 upfront to an unnamed e-tailer. Months and months go by. Promised ETA's from Henry just come and go.

Finally, Henry announces that the lights are ready to go. But guess what?!? There's no 170-lumen model. Only 140's for $185. I contacted the seller and they said they couldn't refund the difference since it was more than 30-days. Best they could do would be to send me $30 worth of CR-123's. I was already VERY stocked on batteries. Oh, well. Whatever. Henry told us on the forum that hand-picking emitters for 170-lumen models was too time-consuming, or some such nonsense.

So I get my let. It's good, not great. It had to go back to Henry for a bad tailcap. It also had software issues. This is despite Henry's justification for delays being that he wouldn't release lights until they were perfect.

What brought all this on? 170-lumen models are now a regular part of his lineup for less $$$ than I originally paid. The early opters, Henry's biggest fans, got hosed! Oh, well. I love my Twisty despite the fact that it had to go back for service, too. So much for bulletproof. Two Ra lights, three trips to service. All for $400.

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
Another reason why I prefer to wait rather than be an early adapter - my motto is to wait for the reviews.

But I feel sorry for you, thats a lot of $$ in my view.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like part of your beef should be with the retailer you pre-ordered through, not just Henry. I'm definitely not saying it's ok to change the specs, or for the light to have software bugs, but it seems that there may be others who share some responsibility for your troubles (at least for the inability to get a refund). I guess that could be part of the risk of pre-ordering a light that isn't really ready yet. Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can sympathize with your position. I'm sure the introduction of the 'Clicky' didn't go the way Henry would have liked. I'm not very happy with how he handled some of the tougher moments either. He seemed to handle things much better in the past. Definitely too many lights had to go back.

I'm not done with Ra Lights, because I'm very happy with my Twisty (other than it's silly name), and I've been waiting to get a Clicky (in spite of name). The wait has been pretty long and hard, and just when I thought it was over there were some funky boot problems interfering with tail standing.

I'm watching market place, I missed a few very good deals on the light there. The configuration I really want I've not seen on MP, but there have been some prices which might have made me adjust.

The new LE Titanium is out of my price range, but I'm hoping for a nice RaLight soon. Maybe I'll name it Rexx though just so it has a real name.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would consider it a $400 learning experience. You have walked away and now know who and what you can depend on.

It sounds more like a $30 or $235 mistake. Being pissed at the e-tailer would make it a $30 mistake. If you think buying the Clicky was a mistake and that you didn't get anything, even learning that you don't like the Clicky... then it was a $235 mistake.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds more like a JEER to me, maybe you should have posted it there.

prime77

Enlightened
My Clicky experience was essentially the same as yours Valpo. Given the history of HDS and it's reputation in the flashlight community I had extreme high hopes for my 140C when I perchased it. I thought it would be the culmination of Henry's work and one the best lights out there. Mine flickered from the first time I used burst had to go back to Henry, I had to wait forever to get it back then the price was dropped $50 when the name change to Executicve took place. Given all that happened I still took and chance and got a EDC Tactical because I wanted to try light out with the Golden Dragon emitter. I really like both of my RA lights but like you the whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth.

streetmaster

Enlightened
Valpo Hawkeye, I think you have valid reasons for feeling the way you do. If it had happened to me I'd be even more angry than you. I STILL can't believe how many people had to return their Ra's for "issues", interesting for a "bulletproof" light. Yeah, I like my EDCE, I'm one of the lucky few that got a light (first run of EDCE's) that never had to be returned. Although, it does have the non-responsive click during locator flash firmware issue still. Can't afford to send it back for that. I feel your pain.

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
I would be pissed too if I am the OP. I make it a rule to not pre-order anything simply because I know most retailers from the web can't be counted on. There is no way people should be pre-ordering anything technology related as it always tend to be cheaper when they do come out.

I would contact a local prosecutor regarding the retailer not giving you a refund.

Also, did you have to pay $400 to repair your lights or the $400 is the cost of the two lights. Your number doesn't add up as two lights would run you $470 if you pre-paid $235 for each. You probably are going with the $185 number and round it up. Either way, a custom flashlight having to go back to factory spell disaster and poor quality control to me. It would not surprise me if this Henry guy delayed product introduction simply to get people to pre-order so we could have the fund to find the lowest bidder to build his hardwares. I don't believe any of these custom guys, in any business, really do their own work if they want to actually make a living. Les Baer certainly doesn't make the guns he sale. Heck, he doesn't even do the selling as that is taken care of by a third-party vendor.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Agree - sounds to me like an issue with the online retailer. They are the ones who took the money for something that they could not supply, and then refused to return it.

Consumer law here in the UK is very clear - your contract is always with the retailer - they can't pass the buck to their suppliers.

Buffalohump

Enlightened
This is why I always wait before jumping onto a 'hot' new thing.... inevitably the issues will occur upfront and then the later versions of the product will be improved - and cheaper.

Consider the recent Apple iPhone debacle for example!

What is disturbing is that this seems to the opposite with some high end light manufacturers of late.

I only have anecdotal evidence of this but it appears that the recently produced models have issues whereas the earlier ones are considered to be better/more reliable?

Or is this seeming trend greatly exaggerated? Perhaps a poll to determine how many people have had issues with the functioning of their lights is in order?

EEG

Newly Enlightened
I love mine

I would never pre-order. All mass produced items have problems in the first batches. I waited and ordered direct with the button, bezel and beam I wanted. I even had a custom clip in hand before I ordered it.

Still I have the following issues but carry and use the Clicky more than anything else. It's a great light but IMO not for the initial pricing they came out at.
  • flush button has bubble (no problem-it will take a hard bump and stay up)
  • a few "sparkles" in ano on head (hasn't bothered me)
  • I can feel a very very slight notch at the bezel/head joint (hasn't bothered me)
From what I've read here about Henry this could not have went the way he would have prefered.

turbodog

Flashaholic
... What brought all this on? 170-lumen models are now a regular part of his lineup for less $$$ than I originally paid. The early opters, Henry's biggest fans, got hosed! ...

It's a semiconductor-based light. You ALWAYS get more light for your $ as time goes one. Early adopters ALWAYS pay more, in any industry.

That said, yes, it's ironic that so many had to go back for so many problems when it would not be release till it was 'ready'.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first batch Twisty has not had any problems so far but my Clicky needed a new tailcap. I can certainly see where the OP is coming from. I waited and picked up a Clicky off the BST but still had to get a new tailcap. There is probably a lot of things going on behind the scenes but the business aspect of how these lights are released could use some improvement.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry about your experience, it sounds like your beef may be with the retailer imo. I've always been fascinated with Henry's lights and have purchased several over the years, I would not sell my early Basic 42 XR, GT and I still use it sometimes and I treasure that light. My edc is his Clicky 140cn and I really like it in every respect and use it every day. Over the years I've had nothing but outstanding customer service from Henry and I think his lights are the best out there imo!!

sappyg

Enlightened
this is bad juju but an unfortunate reality for many. i remember the 1st computer we bought for our home use. by todays standards it would be a POS. especially when you consider that i type this from my couch in my living room with no wires attached from a laptop with four times the speed and memory at about 1/10 the size and 1/2 the price.
it's the same with most all new technology these days. i have had a problem with a clicky but it was dealt with to my satisfaction quickly and better than new. i have to admit that i came into the Ra thing later than some or most. of the 2 i have only one developed a problem...... (i just reread that and it does'nt sound very good). :thinking:
that said Ra is a good light but, is it the best light i have owned? all i can say is that i currently do not EDC mine but, not because i am afraid they will fail me or not perform. i have bought lights that i regret buying but Ra is not one of them though i could sell one of them and not miss it a whit.

gsxrac

Enlightened
I can sympathize with your position. I'm sure the introduction of the 'Clicky' didn't go the way Henry would have liked. I'm not very happy with how he handled some of the tougher moments either. He seemed to handle things much better in the past. Definitely too many lights had to go back.

I'm not done with Ra Lights, because I'm very happy with my Twisty (other than it's silly name), and I've been waiting to get a Clicky (in spite of name). The wait has been pretty long and hard, and just when I thought it was over there were some funky boot problems interfering with tail standing.

I'm watching market place, I missed a few very good deals on the light there. The configuration I really want I've not seen on MP, but there have been some prices which might have made me adjust.

The new LE Titanium is out of my price range, but I'm hoping for a nice RaLight soon. Maybe I'll name it Rexx though just so it has a real name.

Haha sorry but I had to say this, me and my fiance and one of my buddys had a long discussion about light names (mainly the Twisty and the Clicky) The final consensus on their part... why make two of the best production lights on the market (in a lot of peoples eyes, not particularly mine) and then give them dumb thoughtless names like "Twisty" and "Clicky"

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Yes, this looks like a Jeers thread and should probably be moved. The OP is very earnest in his dissatisfaction, and seems to have some logical gripes based on his situation, as he has posed it. He appears to have communicated, to all parties, his dissatisfaction, and is not satisfied with their responses, and actions.

Bill