Michael Moore Hates America

Greta

Flashaholic
That's the name of the website! Michael Moore Hates America.

From the website:

[ QUOTE ]
Contrary to its title, Michael Moore Hates America isn't a hatchet job on the filmmaker. It's a journey across the nation where we meet celebrities, scholars and average folks alike, all of whom are living the American Dream and proving that America is a great place to be!

[/ QUOTE ]

Check it out guys! It looks to be a very neat project! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
How dare you bring attention to a production that shows the positive side of America. Your blatant anti anti-Americanism clearly shows your true feelings for America.

budlight

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif ... I know... bad Sasha... bad, bad Sasha... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I wonder if they actually "did" try to contact him...
That would be pretty hilarious!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

could some of you consider, for just a moment, that those who criticize what they see as wrong with America are motivated by a deep love and desire for America to be even more perfect than it is?

MichiganMan

Enlightened
I might except they themselves have a hard time extending the same civility to those of the opposite political persuasion.

ie. Whats more likely to come out of Moore's mouth? (besides an empty fork) That he thinks President Bush promotes tax cuts because Bush sincerely believes having the federal government take excessive money from employers isn't sound long term fiscal policy? Or that dim witted Bush is just interested in paying off his fat cat buddies on the backs of the poor?

Tombeis

Enlightened
The problem is that Michael Moore lied a lot in his so called "documentry" about Columbine.

When you twist the facts as he did, you no longer qualify as someone who "loves America."

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
even if his views are correct, the way he communicated them was most certainly not.

on my list, he's right next to some other "anti-america" people.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
I thought "Bowling for Columbine: was EXCELLENT !!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! I do think M.M. loves America.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
I think most of MM's documentaries tell it like it is. I have watched many and they have been very thought provoking. I had enough of all the MM bashers, like other so-called "america lovers", just tend to sweep the dirt under the carpet and continue on like everything is just fine.
If you just ignore the problems, they will not go away and it will make you more of an "america hater".
Problem is, most people who have contempt for Mr. Moore are doing so in light of his recent comments about Mr. Bush.
Criticizing Bush is not "anti-american" just like all critics of Mr. Clinton are not anti-american either.

One of my favorites of MM was "Roger and Me", depicting the devastation of Flint, Michagan after the demise of one of GM's plants. Having lived there myself and witnessed firsthand the impact of the City's largest employer withdrawing from Flint, I challenge anyone to say that MM's documentary was skewed or not straight-up. It pretty much hit the nail "dead-center". The sequel, aptly entitled "Food and Meat" was a look at the City of Flint in the aftermath several years later. This situation there brought tears to my eyes, as it was once a very industrious, productive and booming town.

Ed.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Some people make it their mission to focus on the negative and bad with no intent of doing anything to make it better. I would go as far to say the worse it gets the happier they are. Somehow the bad makes them feel better or more important. These same people will twist the truth or even lie to propagate their gloom and doom agenda.

If you want to focus on a problem, expose the bad, slam those you deem responsible and then do nothing to help, forget you. There is even someone worse, the person that does the before mentioned and then puts money in their pocket because of it.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are several good articles on MM's deception.
i will try to find the links later--im at work now.

MM is a master of deception. he totally misquoted people and used misleading music/images etc in bowling for columbine.

http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

http://www.spinsanity.org/columns/20021119.html

http://www.prospect.org/webfeatures/2002/11/franke-ruta-g-11-22.html

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2002/1209/059.html?_requestid=2372

http://www.opinionjournal.com/forms/printThis.html?id=110003233

When CNN's Lou Dobbs asked Mr. Moore about his inaccuracies, he shrugged off the question. "You know, look, this is a book of political humor. So, I mean, I don't respond to that sort of stuff, you know," he said.

"Glaring inaccuracies?" Mr. Dobbs said.

"No, I don't. Why should I? How can there be inaccuracy in comedy?"

if this info is true, MM is a real a..hole.

Bob

jtice

Flashaholic
Well, I wouldnt be surprised if EVERYTHING MM says wasnt completely true, but, he does have alot of good info, and alot of things in his films that MAKE YOU THINK> And really... thats what its all about, making you think about these things. Many people dont stop to really think about the cause and effect of things. I really liked the comparision of the US to Canada iin Bowling for Columbine.

If MM's statictics are correct... then WOW. The main question he asked was good... "why do more Americans shoot each other than in other contries?" Many answers and opinions were given... but none added up. "Ah, Canada doesnt have as many guns." Wrong, tthey have just as many,,, actually, AFAIK, they are into hunting even more than the US. Many children start out Very young with firearms, thats why I think they have more respect for them. If a US child is started out young.. its ussually in a gang. LOL

I also liked how Canadian news doesnt FOCUS on all the bad things. This is something US news has always done. This has a strong phyological effect on people.

I could go on and on,, but you guys would get tired of reading it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

P.S. Does anyone know the names of all MM's films? I want to try to find them all.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just watched "bowling for columbine" a few of weeks ago, and from an un-american point of view i think he brings forth some valid points and observations, but he could have done so in a more measured and tactful way. the show also struck me as being a little too sensationalized and intentionally controversial.

he did ask plenty of specific questions about some real problems, but he didn't attempt to give any specific solutions to those problems (i.e. his comparison of canada and america). i mean, i'm ok with people criticizing problems but without at least suggesting any real solutions they aren't contributing anything, kinda like the atypical angsty teenager complaining that "life sucks". its not like people aren't aware about the problems of the possesion of illegal firearms or poverty (which is present in many other countries) in america, so he didn't really break any new ground there.

the movie does push people to question the status quo, but i think its overdone to the point where it provoked a lot of people to lash out emotionally instead. in any case, the show was done nicely and it kept me glued to the screen right till the very end, though it left me with mixed emotions.

***disclaimer*** i watched this show a couple of weeks ago, so i can't really pick out specific scenes or quotes to support most of what i have said and i did watch it after knowing about the controversy surrounding it, so my opinion about the show might be a little biased.

jtice

Flashaholic
Chamenos....

I agree, he brings up alot of good points, and questions... but doesnt provide any answers. But, I think it is becuase he doesnt have any,,, does anyone? I dont think he intended to answer any questions, but just to make you think about these problems, and mainly to think of WHY these problems exist in the first place. As you saw, none of the people asked those questions had an answer.

I saw an interesting video of a man interviewing war protestors last month. All of them were yelling a screaming about how war isnt the answer, war is wrong, all the government people are idiots and dont know what they are doing. He asked each one of them, "what do YOU think we should do with the sitiation in Iraq?" Answer: " Oh, I dont know, but I know its not war." "Maybe , give them more time." LOL WHAT??? Are these people living in a cave?

SUREFARC

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Chamenos....

I agree, he brings up alot of good points, and questions... but doesnt provide any answers. But, I think it is becuase he doesnt have any,,, does anyone? I dont think he intended to answer any questions, but just to make you think about these problems, and mainly to think of WHY these problems exist in the first place. As you saw, none of the people asked those questions had an answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree! I don't think raise the question only and do not give any solutions is not the way to go. Plus the issue is complecated and people gatta find out the cause first. I don't think he really got an answer like most of us.

I do think the right attitude is think about it and do some introspection and try to find out a solution since the problem is there and the quetion is asked. If it was not MM, someone else would do the same thing. You don't have to break new ground on a old problem unsolved.