Torch efficiency very poor at low settings

Xe54

Enlightened
Hi:

I was considering to buy a AA Quark from 7^4, but then realized the efficiencies are very poor at the low output levels.

For instance, from the runtimes listed on 4sevens.com, the following are the amounts of watt*hours actually delivered to the emitter for the various modes (not accounting for unregulated falloff, and estimating LED Vfwd from graph in "Cree® XLamp® XP-E LEDs Data Sheet):

Moonlight: 0.2 lumens for 240 hours * 1ma * 2.8V(est.) = 0.67 Wh
Low: 3.5 lumens for 48 hours * 10ma * 2.8V(est.) = 1.43 Wh
Medium: 18 lumens for 6 hours * 50ma * 2.8V = 0.84 Wh

Even at 300 mW draw down to 0.9V, a AA delivers 2.4 Wh. This means the flashlight is less than 33% efficient at the medium setting (since the emitter power is only about 140 mW here, I'm being pessimistic about cell capacity, so the 33% efficiency result is biased upward).

For the lowest two settings, it is difficult to know emitter Vfwd without measurements, so I use Vfwd=2.8V and cell energy=2.4Wh, which heavily biases the results again in favor of the light. The efficiency has a bump up to 60% for the 3.5 lm setting, and then deteriorates further to a dismal 28% for the moonlight setting.

Here's the numbers for high settings:

High: 70 lumens for 1.5 hours * 250ma * 3.1V = 1.16 Wh
Max: 90 lumens for 1.2 hours * 350mA * 3.2V = 1.34 Wh

Let's see, an Energizer AA gives about 1.5 Wh at 750 mW draw down to 0.9V (which would be about the case for 250 mA emitter current). So the efficiencies at high load are actually pretty good. 77% at the high setting, and converging literally to near 100% at max. (considering that cell capacity is less than 1.5 Wh at greater than 1W draw down to 0.9V.

Comparing to a NiteCore SmartPD D10, these numbers are actually quite similar.

Can someone point me to runtime graphs for these two lights, so I can see how much time they run unregulated? Surely there must be an extensive period of unregulated output? SMPS power supply technology is capable of 66% efficiency even when done poorly, so I can't believe flashlights are not better than this on the low settings.

It appears the lights are highly optimized for efficiency at the high brightness settings, with little effort expended to even maintain modest efficiencies at the minimum settings. This is unfortunate, because it would be possible to greatly extend the Quark's Moonlight mode, for instance, to perhaps even 23 days given a 66% efficient DC-DC converter (just mediocre), and assuming very conservative numbers of Vfwd=2.8V, and 2.4 Wh cell capacity:

(2.4 watt*hours)/(2.8V * 0.001A)/(24 hours/day)*0.66 = 23 days.

Thanks for input.

Nightstalker1993

Newly Enlightened
if not mistaken, those values are very underrated. will let someone else to clarify it as i'm not really sure myself lol.

HighLumens

Enlightened
Xe54, thanks for writing this post. I've been comparing Quark and Fenix (AA vs LD10 for example) efficienty for a couple of days now and I'm a little surprised by the difference of them in terms of runtimes and output.

For example, the LD10 runs 6 hours at 47 lumens, the Quark AA runs 6 hours at 18 lumens. Even considering that Fenix might have overrated the lumens and the runtime, it's still 2.6 times brighter at the same runtime and it can't be all overrated!

I have read very few posts on the Quark's thread, and when I understood it would have turned into a great topic to read it was too late because I should have read tons of posts, so I don't know if this consideration has already been done.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is you get better run times at the lower levels with a 14500 batt.

Not sure how true it is. But thats what I`ve heard. I would like to see some test using 14500 at the lower levels to see proof of this.

Last edited:

wapkil

Enlightened
Xe54, thanks for writing this post. I've been comparing Quark and Fenix (AA vs LD10 for example) efficienty for a couple of days now and I'm a little surprised by the difference of them in terms of runtimes and output.

For example, the LD10 runs 6 hours at 47 lumens, the Quark AA runs 6 hours at 18 lumens. Even considering that Fenix might have overrated the lumens and the runtime, it's still 2.6 times brighter at the same runtime and it can't be all overrated!

It is an interesting topic but Quark AA Med mode is not a good example. In reality it runs around 12 hours on med, 6 hours is just an error in the specification (although I don't understand why it was never corrected).

The lights efficacy and circuit efficiency varies greatly between different modes. I even posted some tables for Quarks and after discussion with selfbuilt decided to extend them but haven't yet found time to do it.

HighLumens

Enlightened
:eek:
How could I miss the runtime charts?? These are great news for me!!! Just re-read selfbuilt's review :thumbsup:.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek:
How could I miss the runtime charts?? These are great news for me!!! Just re-read selfbuilt's review :thumbsup:.

It is interesting to see the run times on high (1 step down from turbo...70 lumen setting).

On an Eneloop it ran 1:30

On an 14500 it ran 3:02

TWICE AS LONG!

One can only imagine the gains to be had at even lower levels...no lower level tests were done...who knows :popcorn:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark AA is rated 18 lumens for 6 hours (50ma).
The Fenix L1T V2 is rated 16 lumens for 15 hours.

I think the Quark 18 lumens would equeal about 30 Fenix lumens though.
I think the Quark AA will probably run longer than 6 hours at that level also.

wapkil

Enlightened
It is interesting to see the run times on high (1 step down from turbo...70 lumen setting).

On an Eneloop it ran 1:30

On an 14500 it ran 3:02

TWICE AS LONG!

One can only imagine the gains to be had at even lower levels...no lower level tests were done...who knows :popcorn:

I don't think it would get much better that that. You can compare med mode for a Quark 123 Li-Ion and Quark AA on Eneloop. If you take into account the differences in battery capacity, the circuit efficiency on NiMH and Li-Ion becomes practically the same. In lower modes it gets only worse.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it would get much better that that. You can compare med mode for a Quark 123 Li-Ion and Quark AA on Eneloop. If you take into account the differences in battery capacity, the circuit efficiency on NiMH and Li-Ion becomes practically the same. In lower modes it gets only worse.

The Fenix L2D with two NIMH gets better runtime than the P3D with two RCR123's.
The Quark 2x123 with 1x17670 gets better runtime than the Quark 2xAA with two NIMH.

wapkil

Enlightened
The Quark AA is rated 18 lumens for 6 hours (50ma).
The Fenix L1T V2 is rated 16 lumens for 15 hours.

I think the Quark 18 lumens would equeal about 30 Fenix lumens though.
I think the Quark AA will probably run longer than 6 hours at that level also.

Once again - the 6 hours figure for Quark AA is absurd, as was pointed out by many people, me included, when the first current consumption measurements appeared. I'm not sure why you compare to L1T v2, isn't it an old flashlight with an technologically outdated LED?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once again - the 6 hours figure for Quark AA is absurd, as was pointed out by many people, me included, when the first current consumption measurements appeared. I'm not sure why you compare to L1T v2, isn't it an old flashlight with an technologically outdated LED?

The L1T version 2 is not outdated, it can be bought new and uses a Cree LED.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which performance bin? I saw only Q2 versions - R2 efficacy is around 30% higher...
Yes, the new L1T has a Q2. I compared the QAA to the L1T V2 because they have simular output ratings at 16 lumens verses 18 lumens but much different runtime ratings. I think the Quark is under rated at all levels.

Last edited:

wapkil

Enlightened
Yes, the new L2T has a Q2. I compared the QAA to the L1T V2 because they have simular output ratings at 16 lumens verses 18 lumens but much different runtime ratings. I think the Quark is under rated at all levels.

If Fenix is rated with LED lumens and Quarks are OTF, the values are of course different. I don't think though that Quarks are much underrated. According to the tests, the runtimes are not underrated, except obvious errors like AA Med. They are sometimes a bit higher than in the specification, and sometimes a bit lower, as it is probably usual given the components variation. The output values also seem normal for the current the LEDs are driven. David described the procedure they used to take them - they took a few (a dozen I think) measurements and quoted the lowest one so I believe the result should be pretty close to the average. Of course it would be nice if someone could confirm it with his or her IS :)

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I did a runtime test on my Quark AA on low and medium. With a freshly charged Eneloop I got just over 58 hours on low and just over 13 hours on medium.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
People, the 6 hour run-time for the Quark AA is a misprint. It should read about 12 hours. It's that simple. ;) It's not a matter of underrated lumens or run-times. The Quark AA^2 is rated at 24 hours at 18 lumens, so I think that is reasonable to assume the AA is about half. JWP_EE's run-time test shows this in practice.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 things to keep in mind, 1, 4Sevens said he'd rather underrate than overrate and he most definately underrated runtime and lumens. 2. ALL LED's drop in effieciency at low levels, like the .2 lumen mode, I do not recall why, it might have to do with the phosphor, I don't know for sure, that's just my guess.

wapkil

Enlightened
2 things to keep in mind, 1, 4Sevens said he'd rather underrate than overrate and he most definately underrated runtime and lumens. 2. ALL LED's drop in effieciency at low levels, like the .2 lumen mode, I do not recall why, it might have to do with the phosphor, I don't know for sure, that's just my guess.

I thought that efficacy has more to do with the emission from the LED semiconductor that the phosphor. IIRC the situation is similar for monochromatic LEDs without any phosphor layer but I may be wrong.

As for the Quark runtimes there is no need to speculate. In many modes they were already tested (e.g. by selfbuilt) and can be compared to the specification. The rest can be estimated from the current consumption - such estimations usually proved to be surprisingly accurate.