Hot LED's in A2???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

Enlightened
Hot LED\'s in A2???

What happens to the 3 Nichia LED's in the A2 after you've been running the xenon lamp for a relatively long period of time? The longest I've continuously run my E2 was around 20 - 25 minutes. By that time, the head was almost hot enough to burn my fingers. What happens if you want, or *have* to switch to the LED's? Wouldn't they be seriously overheated, and suffer either a very shortened life, or possibly complete failure?

They are only a few millimeters from the xenon lamp; it seems to me they are going to get pretty damn HOT! A potential weak point in what seems to be a near perfect flashlight design?
confused.gif

Damn, I'd hate to spend the $125 to $150 the A2 is likely to cost, only to find that the LED's are prone to failure...
shocked.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: Hot LED\'s in A2???

Well what I do know is a major fault with most flashlights (I say that because most newer stage lights--a whole nuther game--can prevent this) the heat is projected forward...I don't know where exactly the LEDs will be, in holes cut out of the reflector? (Oh the humanity) but if they're anywhere else they're probably fine.

Also, plastic/epoxy doesn't conduct heat well but the reflector (Metal I suppose) does...it should act as a heatsink for the LEDs. Also, while on the matter of plastic not conducting heat well, the heat would have to heat up the solid die all the way into the emitter of the LED.

Status
Not open for further replies.