My flashlight lights without even screwing in the switch!

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
OK, I've just spent nearly an hour puzzling over this one.

I took apart the kroll switch on my MD4, deoxited it and the M60W MCE, cleaned up the threads on the blody, nyogelled the threads and put it back together.

When I put a couple of 18650's in and screwed the head back on, it lit up. So I pressed the switch to turn it off. It stayed lit. Hmmm...

Assuming I had somehow messed up the switch (couldn't see how - it's simple enough) I took it apart again. Checked it, reassembled, and screw it back on.

It lit up. Didn't matter if I pressed the button or not. It stayed lit.

"Here we go," I thought. Have I broken the switch?

So I got the multimeter out, took the switch out, checked it all again. Nothing wrong. Checked it with the multimeter - it worked perfectly. On was on (<0.1 ohms) and off was off (eight on its side ohms)

I put it back in. The flashlight lit up.

Argghhh!!!!!

In depseration, I tried pulling the body spring off the kroll and, with the MD4 assembled except for the missing switch, I screw it in to see if anything snagged or something. I don't even know what I expected to be able to see.

I certainly didn't expect the flashlight to light up.

With no body spring making contact with the body. And nothing else, except the plastic switch threads which were clean. There was nothing to complete the circuit.

After a few moments of incoherent gibbering, I unscrewed the switch again (the light went out) and I looked into the back of the flashlight.

I saw exactly what I should have; the back of the 18650 cell through the switch hole.

Then I prodded the back of the cell with my finger.

The light lit. There was nothing to connect the back of the cell to the body. But still the light lit.

:eek: :shrug: :mad: :mecry:

So I took the cells out and inspected them.

:thinking:

There, on the edge of one of the front cell, was a tiny flash of silver less than a mm long and an RCH wide. The negative can was visible through the cell's wrapper!

When I pressed on the back of the other cell, or screwed in the switch which pressed on it, the can must have been shorting to the body.

:crackup: :ohgeez: :crackup:

The simplest things... :crazy: