OH CRAP! HELP!

Cole07

Enlightened
I WAS SITTING HERE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HEATSINKING OPTIONS FOR MY 5D CELL MAGLITE WITH THE TERRALUX TLE6 EX DROP IN MODULE. I TRIED PUTTING ALUMINUM FOIL AROUND IT. THEN PUT IT TOGETHER AND TURNED IT ON. NOTHING HAPPENED. SO I TOOK IT APART AND PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AND TURNED IT ON AGAIN AND NOW THE DROP-IN HARDLY BRIGHT AT ALL! SOMETHING HAS HAPPENED. ALSO IT KINDA SMELLED! WHAT HAS HAPPENED AND HOW DO I FIX IT?!?!?!?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
uhoh. it sounds like when you wrapped the module, you accidentally shorted the module out.

I'm sorry for suggesting that to you, didn't expect that to happen. Contact Terralux, see if they can do repairs. :/

Cole07

Enlightened
uhoh. it sounds like when you wrapped the module, you accidentally shorted the module out.

I'm sorry for suggesting that to you, didn't expect that to happen. Contact Terralux, see if they can do repairs. :/

AWWW WTF I'M SO PISSED OFF NOW! GOD D*MNIT WTF :eek: oh no oh no oh no oh no :mad: what am i going to do?!?! I'm gonna go cry :mecry:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't feel alone Cole, I put 2 CR123's in a 18650 only light. Instafry, and I had it for sale too. Hard to sell after I burned it up. I think I ran the light maybe 10 minutes total. S**t happens. Now say to yourself 100 times, "I will not burn up my own lights" and go buy another.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
AWWW WTF I'M SO PISSED OFF NOW! GOD D*MNIT WTF :eek: oh no oh no oh no oh no :mad: what am i going to do?!?! I'm gonna go cry :mecry:
Try fresh batteries.
There is a slim chance you shorted out the batteries and drained one or more of them.

Then cry.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but you may want to refrain from all caps, as it's considered shouting and rude, and it would only add to your problems if a mod closed your thread because of it.

I hope Terralux can help you get it going again.

Cole07

Enlightened
Try fresh batteries.
There is a slim chance you shorted out the batteries and drained one or more of them.

Then cry.

Yea i tried the old krypton lamp in it, and it is like 10x brighter than the led when the led is supposed to be a little brighter. So i guess i'll just cry.

Cole07

Enlightened
This is a good excuse to buy a Malkoff next time. :)

Think of it as a good thing.

I wanted one of those so bad but they are just to expensive... And I'm only 16 and my parents wouldn't let me.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man I am sorry to hear that. I give you credit for pushing the envelope.
I just ordered a "2 CR123" LiON cell (17670) for my Nitrolon G3 with GREEN KL3 LED.
I will make sure it's ok before I try it.
Hope you get it worked out.

Cole07

Enlightened
Will battery junction replace it with a new one? Thats where i ordered it from. They better because this is a bunch of crap. This never should have happened.!!

AbnInfantry

Newly Enlightened
Will battery junction replace it with a new one? Thats where i ordered it from. They better because this is a bunch of crap. This never should have happened.!!

How is BatteryJunction inexplicably responsible for you wrapping the module with aluminum foil and apparently shorting it out? :thinking:

lolzertank

Enlightened

You broke it...

Don't feel so bad, I've destroyed a P7 (ok, more like a relative) and 2 Luxeon Rebels, 6(!) 1.4A AMC7135 drivers and another cheap DX driver over the last few months.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't think you should blame the part or Battery Junction. You said yourself in the first post that this most likely happened because you wrapped it in foil.

Don't feel too bad about it, I've done much worse. Just this summer, I've fried 3 circuit boards, 4 LED's, and busted 2 Ra Clicky lights and a Longbow Micra. Sometimes when you try to make something better, you just wind up breaking it.

To lend a helping hand though, I would be willing to machine you a custom aluminum heatsink for the module if you get it fixed or replaced. The only cost to you would be shipping the light to me so that I can fit the heatsink properly. I would be willing to pay the return shipping.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

:oops: :ohgeez:

LOL, maybe csshih should buy you a new one. :naughty:

It wouldn't be right to make the dealer or manufacturer replace it when you obviously damaged it by shorting it out with aluminum foil.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't think you should blame the part or Battery Junction. You said yourself in the first post that this most likely happened because you wrapped it in foil.

Don't feel too bad about it, I've done much worse. Just this summer, I've fried 3 circuit boards, 4 LED's, and busted 2 Ra Clicky lights and a Longbow Micra. Sometimes when you try to make something better, you just wind up breaking it.

To lend a helping hand though, I would be willing to machine you a custom aluminum heatsink for the module if you get it fixed or replaced. The only cost to you would be shipping the light to me so that I can fit the heatsink properly. I would be willing to pay the return shipping.

What a nice gesture! :D

Hawk600

Newly Enlightened

Gotta love CPF!
Nice people around all the time...good job Tekno_Cowboy.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

very nice gesture indeed!! would it apply to 40 year olds from Singapore?? lol