Favorite Red LED Flashlight - GOT THE X5! LOVE IT!

Ben H

Enlightened
I want to buy a Red LED flashlight. I want something that is no larger than a 2 cell flashlight, preferably a 1 cell light, but bigger than a Photon Microlight.

I wanted to know which red led flashlights everyone had and which ones you love.

Thanks

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Favorite Red LED Flashlight

We have two brightnesses in the 2AA MAGLIGHT

Low power - adapter $5, flashlight $15
High power - adapter $25, flashlight $35

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only red one I have is a Photon 3 on my key chain. I don`t use it much. I have it set on the "off after one minute" mode in case it turns on in my pocket without knowing it. I can`t say I love it...it`s just nothing special. But it is bright and takes only 1 2032 batt...still on the original battery. Why is it you don`t want a small coin size light?

Ken

Kristofg

Enlightened

Nature et Decouvertes has a red led flashlight which is rechargeable under sunlight. I really like that one because it's never out power and big enough to find in your backpack.
IMG6416.JPG

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why do you want a red flashlight? Preserving night vision?

If you will be using it for that purpose and will primarily be using it close up (map reading, starcharts), you will want a dim LED light so you don't have lots of afterimages that can cloud your vision when the LED is off. Something like a red photon 3 on it's lowest setting. If using it for navigating in the dark (walking around in the pitch black) you'll want something like the higher powered InReTech light adapter.

imfrogman

Newly Enlightened

How about Inova X5? I have one with green led's & love it. I use it to illuminate a 12x12 tent when hunting. It is small plus uses my used 123 from a c3.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Green doesn't protect your night vision at all if that is what you're implying by suggesting green instead of red... Sorry for the kneejerk reaction, but lots of misconceptions floating around about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben H

Enlightened

The primary role of the red flashlight will be to navigate around in the dark. I need to clarify my requirements. The flashlight needs to have multiple leds or a LS.

I put a Red/Orange 1W LS in a Colemann 2AA flashlight. The light is great, but bigger than I wanted. I could modify a Minimag or a Legend, but I wanted to see what red flashlights other people really liked. I am tempted to buy a red Inova x5t.

Thanks for the input so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GreenArcher

Newly Enlightened

I am waiting for the Inova X1, and get it with Red LED. It is a bit bigger than an Arc-AAA but it has a tactical switch to help in momentary illumination, if needed.

imfrogman

Newly Enlightened

I wasn't implying that it preserved night vision at all. I use green for hunting because it is the best for being seen by others in the dark. I was implying that i think the x5 is a great little light & does come in red.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Ben H said:
I am tempted to buy a red Inova x5t.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I didn`t know the x5 was available with red led`s. I bet that would be a nice bright little light...yea, that would be my pick. Probable runs for a real long time too.

Ken

Ben H

Enlightened

Texas Tactical Supply has the X5t with red LEDS for $29.99.

Does Arc still make AAA's with red LEDS?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, that sounds like a great price for that type of light. Every one loves the x5. Probably can`t go wrong with that...Texas Tactical is well respect too. I`m not sure it Arc still deals with color lights...seems I remember something about them deciding to drop them and focus on white only to lower production cost...but some dealers might still have them in stock. Either way...I`m not sure.

Ken

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Somewhere around this {vulgar term for urine}-poor excuse for a laboratory, I have an old-style red CMG Infinity that I got in early 2000, which I really, really like. It produces a bright, fairly wide-angle red light. The newer Infinity in red was found to produce a dimmer, narrower, and more "ringy" light. Maybe that was a fluke, maybe not.

I also use a CMG Bonfire Blaze every night with the red LEDs, but it's really not a flashlight - it's a tent light.

I also recommend InReTech's red spider LED adapter for the Mini-Mag. The light has a wide, ring-free beam, and it's quite bright for a red LED.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't implying that it preserved night vision at all. I use green for hunting because it is the best for being seen by others in the dark. I was implying that i think the x5 is a great little light & does come in red.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, sorry for the kneejerk reaction... - this is the first I've ever heard that X5T come in red. Just saw the TTS ad. I was only aware of white, blue and green up until about 30 seconds ago.

Empath

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
Somewhere around this {vulgar term for urine}-poor excuse for a laboratory, I have an old-style red CMG Infinity that I got in early 2000, which I really, really like. It produces a bright, fairly wide-angle red light. The newer Infinity in red was found to produce a dimmer, narrower, and more "ringy" light. Maybe that was a fluke, maybe not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one of the newer Infinity red lights. I got it because of Craig's remarks of how great his red Infinity was. It was just as I had hoped. It's by far the best red LED light I've got. If they are all like the one I got, I can't imagine another 1 red LED light that matches it. Smooth as silk is the only way I know to describe it.

Tomas

Banned

While you are at it, check out the new Inova 24/7. The red light function (one click counter-clockwise from "Off") may only be 2 red LEDs, but it is surprisingly bright and even.

(And this would give you a "red LED general-purpose light" with a bunch of extras, including bright and dim white light modes ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

robk

Enlightened

I put a red 1 watt emitter on a BB400, I believe it's extremely overdriven, but boy does it put out red light! Lights up a whole room by aiming it at the ceiling.
Rob

Smaug

Newly Enlightened

You mustn't forget the eternaLight Marine! It is available with the two outside lights in red and the two inside ones in white. I don't know if it is small enough for you, but I think it might be the perfect red light because if you're in the mood to see colors all of a sudden, it is easily done. Also, it will embarass all of the other red LED lights mentioned thus far for battery life. Selectable brightness is handy too, as a bright enough red light can still hurt your night vision.

Also, eternaLight just came out with the Derringer for a bit less money, but with only one red LED. It is smaller than the Ergo models and uses AAAs instead of AAs. One of those two would be my choice for a red LED flashlight.

theLEDlight has the Derringer for $28.40 and the Ergo3 Marine for $56. I'm pretty sure they can be found cheaper, that is just the first place I thought of that I am sure has them.

Let us know what you end up going with.