E2DL with LX2 clip project (with pics!)

sfca

Enlightened
#1. 1st, had to reshape the T-shaped plastic bit to an l-shaped bit

1plasticbitreshaped.jpg

#2. Done. Plastic bit now sits completely inside clip, instead of top part sticking out above

2done.jpg

#3. Finished!

3finishedproduct.jpg

#4. But even when the head is screwed on, you can still push clip up, displacing o-ring as well.

Also, plastic bit can move and no longer sit flush with surface
*It doesn't look half as bad as it does in the photo
**I don't know if this will affect waterproofing

4except.jpg

#5. Next project - Buff broken E2DL clip and get new T-shaped bit so that I can go clip-less!

5brokene2dlclip.jpg

#6. Picture of clipless E2DL for reference. O-ring is exposed, bad thing? Not sure.

6e2dloringcloseup.jpg

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Get rid of the plastic bit and fill that area under the clip with epoxy. Otherwise the I piece will always be a problem.

Mask off the proper area of the clip with tape and pour it in there. Make the tape buldge out a tad towards the O-ring then sand it flat after curing so you get the best O-ring seal you can. Actually you can over do it in most directions and sand it to a perfect fit if you have time. You can make it so it won't budge or wiggle at all.

Then put the clip on the light. :)

sfca

Enlightened
Sarge that is a great idea!

I was thinking of gluing the l-piece to the clip. But then I wondered if I should seal it completely, or leave some spaces in between piece and clip as it is originally. It does allow water to drain out, right?
Then I realized I was over-thinking it and went to sleep. Problem solved!

I should note that I had to buff down the LX2 clip to fit! It was too tight, couldn't go all the way in.

I noticed that the LX2 clip was all scratched up when I put it on. Can someone let me know if it's supposed be painted(?) like the original E2DL clip?
20090827144632.jpg

steveG

Enlightened
NAh, just don't snort too much of it up your nose. :D

Oh, come on. Live a little!

I just got an LX2 Clip for my E2DL and I love it! It makes it so much easier and more comfortable to carry in a back pocket.

Now I need the E1B version for my E1L.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks friggin awesome! Nice work :thumbsup:

Where did you guys get the LX2 clips - swipe it from your light or did SF send you one?

Thanks!

sfca

Enlightened
I broke my original clip so when i asked for a warranty repair I just asked for the LX2 clip.

That said there's a thread about Surefire shortening the 2-way clips so if this is the size and fit you want you ought to trade or inquire now.

20090812204906.jpg

dcycleman

Enlightened
I broke an e2l clip and asked for a short L4 clip to replace it and the rep told me that if I wanted anything different from stock I would have to pay for it.