• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Maglite 6D Modding for Marine Corps Deployment

cherryboy

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody. This is my first post on this forum. Alright down to business.

I am signing up at the Marine Corps recruiting office and I would like to customize a Maglite 6D to pass the time off from work/college. The large Maglite would enable me to

1. Have a heavy baton to subdue a hostile target.
2. Easily mod it to be a bright flashlight (due to having a large frame).

I would like to use Energizer AA Rechargable batteries as a power source because I can reuse it constantly.

Based upon my research, I believe that 4AA batteries = 1D battery in regards to its physical size. Thus, 4*6 (because I have a 6D flashlight) = 24AA batteries in the body of the flashlight. However, 1.2Volts per AA battery means that 1.2*24 (I have 24AA batteries) = 28.8V total.

I have done research on a mod named the Roar of the Pelican; however, the bulb can only deal with 7.2 volts, based upon my research.

Is there a bulb that can handle 28.8V or would it produce too much heat (burning your hands hot)?

I wouldn't want to use another power source because each Energizer AA battery:
-can be bought locally
-at a reasonable price
-is rechargable
-thus, the mAh and the voltage is set to
-2500 mAh
-1.2V per battery

There is also the IMPOSSIBLE (in my point of view) option of using the Roar of the Pelican mod, but I'll need a power source that would fill the body of the 6D Maglite while remaining 7.2 volts, but has a large amounts of amperage so that it can last hours, and I mean HOURS (that's why I have the large frame).

Thank you for having the patience to read and respond, and please feel free to post any questions you want me to answer to help you.

(I can remove bulbs and solder wires, but I do not have the skills to modify an analog/digital circuit board.)

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
6 x D size NiMh would do the trick and give you 7.2 volts

I am sure there are better mods though. Others with more experience in hot-wires will be along soon!

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW welcome to CPF but you have posted this in the BST (buy Sell Trade ) forum. I expect a moderator will move it for you soon.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are lights that can use that kind of voltage. Many of them would require some other customization to the light, some not so much, though. Many would be brillliantly, insanely, giggle-inducingly bright, with not much runtime (single digit minutes), and you would be able to light fires with them. It is very possible to have a battery pack made, i would think, that would give you the right mixture of serial/parralel, and have the light running pretty bright for an extended period. 6XNiMH ROP would, indeed give you a pretty solid amount of light for a pretty damned long time. AND, it's the worlds easiest mod.

jaybiz32

Enlightened
Also don't forget accessories for the light. You can throw on the"bust a cap" tailcap to break out windows. and a nice crenulated bezel from KIU or such.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:welcome: cherryboy. I guess I'll be the voice of dissent: although I understand your reasons for wanting to mod such a light, I think your money is probably better spent buying another light. Modding is not cheaper than buying a kick-a stock light these days.

My (fading) 0.02 lumens.

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
i would go with the others and propose 6 x D size NiMH instead of 24 nos of AA. I can't imagine the logistics of maintaining that amount of AA battery around.
12pcs D size batteries (1 working set and 1 standby set) would be different story :)

remember that most of the charger will only charge 4 pcs of AA at any time as well

oh, and :welcome:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
True advice above...this is not a practical light, nor a cheap one to mod in a really imrpessive way (except the ROP).

There are great, inexpensive lights out there right now. Then again, if you're just doing it for fun for now...go for it!!

You do know they seize all your possessions when you enter boot camp. POOF its gone! Maybe spend the money on a lapdance??

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll go ahead and recommend an LED mod, using LiFePO4 or NiMH D or F Cells.

The biggest reason for recommending LED's is that they're less likely to go :poof: if you're bashing someone over the head with the light. 3-6 LED's and a variable-output driver should put out lots of light, and still give you the option of really long runtime.

The LiFePO4 batteries seem like they'd be a good choice as you tend to get way more charges out of them, at the expense of capacity. If you're out in the field, you may not have access to more batteries if your set wears out.

donn_

Flashaholic
Semper Fi!

Welcome to the Crotch! I spent several happy years there.

Don't take the light to Boot Camp. As was stated above, it will not survive.