Funeral Advice - My SNII died! (Now resuscitated)

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I took the SNII and a few other lights to a local park to do a "show and tell" with a local CPFer (burnt_retinas). We shone the light a trees at a distance, lit up the grass areas, compared SNII with other modified Mags and regulated 3D Mag. Total run time was probably 15 minutes max, with the light on for no longer than 1-2 minutes each time. The SNII was superb and there was no indication of what was to come.

When I got home and turned it on, it was dim!! I thought, ok, maybe shake the battery area a bit. Maybe something got loose when the battery was taken out or the Mag head was removed (as you do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). All to no avail. The 5W LS still did not return to its former brightness, measure 8290 lux only last night.

A sad, sad night indeed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Anyone else encountered this with their SNII?

***** What do you know..... ran out of juice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Total runtime (at expected brightness) of the originally supplied 123s is only ~40mins. Is this normal? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, a short run time is normal. The 5W direct drive is a battery hog. I think I got less than 40 minutes on mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Another set of 123's to feed my habit....
-Jason

Tweek

Enlightened
Ouch, looks like I'll need to go get me a couple boxes of 123's now, seeing as how my SNII will be here soon... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's sounds about right. My friend who has a SGK (3xCR123's) says he get's about 45 minutes a set. But he sez it's an incredible 45 minutes.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Howard, also test the batteries with a multimeter. Had some SureFires recently where one of them quickly ran out of power.

Light dimmed as yours did, but when tested, all three batts. showed 2.9V, but when put back in light it dimmed rapidly, then batteries immediately taken out and tested again and one of them was down at 2.3V! Waited a day, tested batteries again and bad one went back up to 2.9V!!! Defective battery.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Funeral Advice - My SNII died! (Now resuscitat

Mr B, funny you suggested that... I measured the current on the batteries last night. One was ~3Amp, the other 2 were under 0.2A (!!!!!). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I thought that was strange... and double checked those 2 last measurements. They were definately very low. I concluded that I had just made a fool of myself with my *funeral advice*. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Don't tell anyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

** Question, can the current be measured with the multimeter leads over the + and - end of the battery or must it be measured across a resistance? eg. LS?

This morning, I took measurements of the voltage and repeated the current measurement. Voltages was 2.7, 2.65 and 2.66v and the current as per last night! What the @#$%? I stuck those batteries (~8v total, ~3A) back into the SNII and got the same brightness as the light before (dim version).

Anyone had the same problem with SF123s?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Heh... The SNII has been resurrected from the dead ashes of Luxland...

I can barely get 45mins with my SNII before it starts dimmin' fast...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Howie you are cut off...

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Howie you are cut off...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry... Please elaborate????

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

charlie has a habit of cutting people off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

(am i next?)

chr00t

Newly Enlightened

Sorry to hear about your SNII died. My SNII flashlight still ALIVE!!

Try put new 3 of cr123 batteries and see if it returns back bright torch flashlight.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
charlie has a habit of cutting people off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

(am i next?)

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif?

chr00t... yes, that is exactly what I ended up doing and it is back to normal. It's just that I had expected the batteries to last longer. All smiles now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hotbeam,

I think of the use of my brighter lights in the following way:

Shorter battery life is a sign of higher current draw. The more current, the greater brightness. Brightness costs -- it eats batteries. But what a wonderful way to spend a few bucks, eh?

Paul

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul_W

Very true.... like skydiving.... enjoy it while it lasts!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know, if you really like a risk you could do both. How about a skydive at midnight during a new moon, with nothing for illumination but a flashlight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow!!! Now that is taking risks! Must have a good, reliable audible altimeter and with glow powder. There was a movie.... ummm.... Wesley Snipes.. can't think of the name?

You'd also want to strap on half a dozen Arc AAA's to all points of your body. Couple of SNIIs, one on each hand!

Hey, the airports might be able to spot you!!!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

hotbeam,

An ammeter measures the current flowing through it. To do so it actually measures the resulting voltage across a very low resistance, essentially a "short!" It is not recommended to connect an ammeter's leads directly to a battery. (Many years ago, I had one test lead on a Fluke 73 at work plugged into the seperate "Amp" jack and attempted to measure the voltage in a 208V 3-phase box. Blew 1/8" off the front of one test lead, accompanied by a bright flash and sparks everywhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . I still use that meter.)

Larry

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened

If it was unconscious, it could be resuscitated.

If it was dead, it would need to be either re-animated
or resurrected . . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(I'm a teacher, forgive me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif)

Either way, I'm glad it's working again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif