M1x Fail

hubbytuby

Newly Enlightened
So today i recieved my M1x i bought off ebay. I am a big fan of the 18650 so i also purchased the smooth body cell extender. The M1x came in OD when i orded it natural. The extender will not screw in all the way ( Ive soon relized this is a problem with different generations) and the light will not even turn on. So with all this said, does anyone know were i can get a second or third generation M1X in natural finish with a combat style extender also in natural? Thanks

jahxman

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure that if you want the current generation M1X, which has an improved driver current, you can only get it now in OD. And the cell extenders are apparently not compatible between the different generations.

I guess you could post a WTB in the marketplace, maybe someone has one in natural from the previous generation. Not sure why you'd want the lower output though.

Fender

Newly Enlightened
How do you know you're getting a 3rd gen unit if you order now? Is it most likely?

Fender

Newly Enlightened
Because there is no 1st or 2nd generation M1X in Natural/Gray - HA.

Please forgive my ignorance. I thought the current ones only came in the army green. Am I wrong? Or is that what is meant by "natural"?

I am hoping to purchase an M1X by the end of the year and would like to get this straightened out. Thanks!

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the M2XC4?
The 3rd Gen M1X is quite probably the brightest MC-E light on the market, only after the Neofab Legion-II.

Also, what's with the 1st, 2nd 3rd generation M1X??
What's different between the different "generations" BESIDES the colour. This color talking makes me think of women buying cars. "That car is better, its RED!! Must be very sport...."

And from my understanding, M1Xs with a color different to the cell extender would have fitting problems, right?

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please forgive my ignorance. I thought the current ones only came in the army green. Am I wrong? Or is that what is meant by "natural"?

I am hoping to purchase an M1X by the end of the year and would like to get this straightened out. Thanks!
Sorry, I got confused. All OD/Army green M1Xs are 3rd generation. The gray versions (Also called Type III HA Natural) are the 1st and the 2nd generations, but those are now discontinued. I've edited the previous post.

Last edited:

Eye See

Newly Enlightened
Just as a note, the M1X has lock out on the tail and so will the Extender.
If it doesn't screwdown all the way it won't make contact.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the M2XC4?

Also, what's with the 1st, 2nd 3rd generation M1X??
What's different between the different "generations" BESIDES the colour. This color talking makes me think of women buying cars. "That car is better, its RED!! Must be very sport...."

And from my understanding, M1Xs with a color different to the cell extender would have fitting problems, right?
You can read about the difference on the generations in the review section. The latest gen is brighter than the 1st one and their bodies had different minor details, but if you are going to buy one today, you are most definitely getting the newest gen in OD color, as the gray models were discontinued (1st and 2nd-- which were only made in gray finish, never OD).

Sorry, but I don't the have the cell extender, so you should ask your dealer to make sure you buy the right accessory for your light.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can read about the difference on the generations in the review section. The latest gen is brighter than the 1st one and their bodies had different minor details, but if you are going to buy one today, you are most definitely getting the newest gen in OD color, as the gray models were discontinued (1st and 2nd-- which were only made in gray finish, never OD).

Sorry, but I don't the have the cell extender, so you should ask your dealer to make sure you buy the right accessory for your light.
There really isn't much detail about the so-called "1st, 2nd, 3rd generation" thing. Apparently the 1st batch of M1X's has been revised, and people call it "second generation". Then a new color came out, and people called it "third generation", any other changes? Not sure.
Sounds more like some people are just making stuff up as they go along.

This is the most trustworthy evidence I've found so far:
AFAIK, the "1st gen" M1X (which had lower output and stlightly different head/extender styling) was a limited edition run. Unless you are buying it used, or from some really old store stock (which seems unlikely but I suppose is possible), you should be getting the revised/"2nd gen" version. I believe some have taken to calling the OD green version as "3rd gen", but I don't know if any of the specs have changed.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
There really isn't much detail about the so-called "1st, 2nd, 3rd generation" thing. Apparently the 1st batch of M1X's has been revised, and people call it "second generation". Then a new color came out, and people called it "third generation", any other changes? Not sure.
Sounds more like some people are just making stuff up as they go along.

This is the most trustworthy evidence I've found so far:
Then you really have nothing to worry about, just go ahead and buy the ONLY version available right now.

All that I know is that the 1st batch was sold out in maybe less than 2 weeks, then came the 2nd batch (brighter, revised) which was also sold out and then discontinued in its original color (gray AKA HA Natural) and now the only version available is the M1X in OD color. So you can say it IS a 3rd gen, because you cannot buy the improved 2nd gen (in gray) from an authorized dealer simply because they are discontinued, are we clear?

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Then you really have nothing to worry about, just go ahead and buy the ONLY version available right now.

All that I know is that the 1st batch was sold out in maybe less than 2 weeks, then came the 2nd batch (brighter, revised) which was also sold out and then discontinued in its original color (gray AKA HA Natural) and now the only version available is the M1X in OD color. So you can say it IS a 3rd gen, because you cannot buy the improved 2nd gen (in gray) from an authorized dealer simply because they are discontinued, are we clear?

Just to confuse you all a bit further...

Natural has not been discontinued and will be coming back. What everyone is referring to as the 3rd generation is the olive drab color that is currently out. There were three production runs (hence the 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen):

1) Natural finish with 7 round fins on head (approx. 100-200 made)
2) Natural finish with modified fins (4 round and 3 squared off), brighter than 1st run
3) Olive Drab finish (4 round and 3 squared off fins)

Hope that helps confuse the issue a little more... :crackup:

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com
JETBeam USA
888-221-5498

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, that clears everything up.

So the 2nd generation and 3rd generation is essentially the same light with a different color.

Or maybe someone can call the natural colored 2nd generation M1X out later, "The Fourth Generation M1X" :rolleyes:

Just to confuse you all a bit further...

Natural has not been discontinued and will be coming back.

[....]

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com
JETBeam USA
888-221-5498