Streamlight Fire Vulcan P7 (D bin) a bit dissapointed

super2

Newly Enlightened
Hello all..been searching for a Mod on my Streamlight fire vulcan ... well i couldn't find anything, so i went ahead and just went for it.

A little bit of background first: I am a professional fire fighter in the North east, Ive had my Streamlight for a number of years and its always done its job, however within the last 6mon. - year, the batter seems to wear down rather quickly. Anyway, the department had supplied all their apparatus with lights, and i found myself using my personal fire vulcan less and less.

Anyway, a number of my brothers had purchased the relatively new LED version of the light, It really is a nice flashlight, lightweight and throws a lot of light.

After a bit of web searching, i found this site...what an awesome amount information. Apparently the LED version of the Fire Vulcan uses a modified Cree, Streamlight's C4® LED TECHNOLOGY (whatever that means). So me being the manly-man that i am decide to go with the P7. (ill show my buddies how a flashlight is supposed to burn your retina's)

I began assembling my parts, a quick overview:

SSC P7 12W High Power Led - DSXOJ Bin
LED Drivers Board - 3 Modes, 5.5-15v, 3.0A Board
a heat sink of some type
thermal paste
old flashlight

well today i got my parts and began the assembly, wasnt too bad, the hardest part was getting the heat sink in a position that it would line up with the old reflector, here's a few photos:

old light before i did a Dr. Frankenstein on it:
3924842946_73a2391542.jpg

let the operation begin !!
3924057321_3093c351cb.jpg

an old heatsink i found lying around .... found out later its probably not big enough:
3924844788_8c861e51a9.jpg

had to cut and modify the black bracket that hold down the 6V battery
3924846206_76158898ac.jpg

alot of trial and error to get this in the correct position

3924056593_0451346078.jpg

finally wired up...found out that i was sent the incorrect driver, but it still worked.

3924058985_16607eb47d.jpg

and reassembled.
3924043905_8a8658199d.jpg

i didnt realize how dirty the cone had gotten on the inside , when i was Dremeling the plastic, i was able to get all of it out with a can of air.

and it works... 3.44 Volts (is that good?)
3924045099_9467ac38df.jpg

3924044491_6809b4529c.jpg

anyway...thanks for looking...i will be at work tomorrow and make a comparison of the 3 lights

My mod, the original 8 watt spot halogen bi-pin bulb and the LED Fire vulcan.

a few notes, when i originally turned the flashlight on for the first time, i was foolish enough to be looking at the led, let me tell you, its about an hour later and my eyes still hurt!
Also, i was rather disappointing in the "throwing" of the light, although the bulb is very bright, it does not seem to have a pinpoint (or distance) like my original did, (or Streamlight's LED fire vulcan) hopefully you will see that in the new photos i take.
The heat sink gets very hot...in the few tests that i did do, i had the light on for maybe, 5-10 min tops, when i checked the heat sink i was really surprised ( and disappointed ) by how hot it got, really hot to the touch!!

One final note: This light will NOT be used in my fire duties, the modifications i have made will definitely not comply with any applicable safety standards.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the problem with replacing the bulb with a P7 like that, is that the reflector was designed for that bulb.

if you take a look at exactly where the filament of the bulb is when you install it, THAT will be the focus point of the reflector.

This method just gives you a very ringy flood am i right?

you may want to try making a heatsink pedestal for the LED, to raise it to somewhere within the reflector, instead of at the base.

as for driving the LED, the Voltage is not as important as the current going through it. what are the specs of that driver? youre going to need at least around 2800ma through the whole thing, depending of whether you wired the P7 in series or parrallel
:)

I admire your courage though! this is a fairly ambitious project.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

super2

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the reply...gonna do some searching oh how to make a pedestal, and yes it is a very ringy flood

here are the specs. on the driver that was sent, kinda ticked off because it wasnt what i ordered:
Technical Data:
-
Current regulated at 2.8A
- Gives 1+ hour current regulated (2.8A) output with four Eneloop AA
- Gives 3+ hours current regulated (2.8A) output with single protected 32650
- Measures 17mm in diameter, and 6mm in height
- Single light mode only
- 1xVin+, 1xVin-, 1xLED+, 1xLED-
- Prewired, ready to use
- Input voltage 2.7V-6.0V, buck circuit

its the original 6volt battery, how can i measure the current (same as voltage but on amp setting? (sorry for the nube question))

i am by no means done with this project...i refuse to give up until i have a brighter light than my co workers .... lol

Scattergun

Enlightened
if you take a look at exactly where the filament of the bulb is when you install it, THAT will be the focus point of the reflector.

Plus the fact that a bulb shines in a circular pattern, while a LED only has a limited angle of light coming out in the front. Generally the LEDs need a comparatively deeper reflector than an incandescent bulb to reach a intense center hotspot.

super2

Newly Enlightened
how about some type of mirror that i can place inside the reflector (its a sealed unit, just to add another problem into the mix) that would redirect some of the light back back down so it can be sent down stream :(?