Green LEDs What is their purpose?

crizyal

Enlightened
I know that red LEDs preserve night vision and blue LEDs can be used for blood tracking, yellow and amber for signaling, but I have no idea what a green LED would be used for. I am interested to know if they are just for novelty or if they have an intended purpose.:shrug:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
battery vampires? ***stares at his cable modem*** oh yeah and indicator lights....a lot of them, usually maps are red light readable so you don't need to reveal your position to the enemy with wavelengths that are more visable at a distance

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I know that red LEDs preserve night vision and blue LEDs can be used for blood tracking, yellow and amber for signaling, but I have no idea what a green LED would be used for.

Here's a color sampling of a green nightlight:

2jfljzm.jpg

Green lights and red lights BOTH preserve night vision. Eyes are extra sensitive to green and extra unsensitive to red, so its easier to see green from a distance while harder to see red (tactical).

pOkiE

Newly Enlightened
i know they use high powered lights with green filters to see particles in the air. and to preserve night vision...?

zven

Enlightened
Well, I also have no idea what their intended purpose is. I only got my Inova X5 in green because it looked cool.

From my use, though, there are a few things that I can say about it. Being that our eyes are pretty sensitive to variations in green wavelengths, shining a green light at something still gives you pretty good differentiation between color regions in the visual field.

Now, while I wouldn't say that you have good color rendition with monochromatic green light, the contrast between colors remains fairly true to what you see under normal white light. That is, under the green LED, you don't see a deep red as red and a happy yellow as yellow, but the red still appears relatively darker than the yellow. It's the same sort of thing as converting a photo to black and white - you don't see colors anymore, but reds and yellows and blues, etc. are still different shades from each other.

Another thing I've thought about, though haven't had the means to test, is the use of green light for aiding night vision. Red is considered good for night vision because only the cones in your eyes see it, and the rods can remain adjusted to the dark, as they aren't sensitive to red. Green, however, is pretty close to the color that all optical receptors are sensitive to (I think it's yellow-green, about like many safety vests, fire trucks, etc., to be precise). So, being that our eyes are more sensitive to green than to either blue or red, I would hypothesize that one could use a dimmer light to achieve the same ability to see. And if you're using a dimmer light, would you not be preserving your night vision to a greater extent?

Also, since both cones AND rods are sensitive to green light, a green LED for night vision would provide you with much better peripheral vision than a red LED, as your peripheral vision uses mostly rods. By the same token, of course (as alluded to above), since red isn't perceived as well in peripheral vision, it would make a better choice in many tactical situations.

Anyway, I personally like and use green LED's for preserving contrast between colors, as opposed to red (where, for example, reds and yellows become indistinguishable) or blue (where reds turn way darker than normal). Of course, I'd be curious to hear more about the intended purpose(s) of green light...

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my experience, green lights, bright ones at least, knock out night vision. supposedly the eye is most sensitive to green. I think 520-555nm depending on ambient light.

Last edited:

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Um yeah I thought green light totally ruined night vision, because that is what the ol' rod cells are most sensitive to. :grin2:

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Green light has at least two applications I can think of by soldiers. I was working with one soldier who was assisting me at night and he brought an Inova X5 in green. I seem to recall handing him a bright white light so he could improve his situational awareness.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm definitely no expert in ALS (Alternative Light Sources) though CPF does have it's share, my understanding was...

* Rods are our night adapted vision receptors (most sensitive to blue/green) primarily located in our peripheral optic regions, don't interpret colour OR movement
* Cones are responsible for specific detail & colour (most sensitive to red) primarily in our centered optic region
* Photosensitive ganglion cells regulate the dilation of the pupil (amongst other activities) ultimately controlling the amount of light entering the eye

Thus...

* Red promotes night vision, peripheral vision & rapid night adaption in situations devoid of ambient light.
* Green promotes detail, definition & prevents loss to our field-of-vision (night blind spot) but negates "peripheral" vision

Additional subject matter:-
Red - Night vision myth
Night vision - Wikpedia
Photoreceptor cell - Wikipedia
Nightvision in terms of Aviation application
Forensic ALS product guide - Foxfury.com

Last edited:

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can confirm that my eyes are very sensitive to the green color spectrum. I bought and tested a green seoul led (out of curiosit) and it would almost give me a headache :sigh: . It was an interesting color, but I cold find no practical use for it in my everyday situations that warranted it to stay in the flashlight. Needless to say it is now collecting dust :eek: