Newbie...questions on CR123 based flashlights, weapon mounts, LED heads, etc....

AFARR

Newly Enlightened
Lots of questions.

I'm trying to review through a lot here and may be able to answer a few myself.

I just picked up (on the way) a pair of Surefires (G2 and 6P)..both incandescent. I have a Streamlight Scorpion. A couple of 3xAAA LED Lights (Element K2) from Sam's Club. I even have a few 3 D Mag Lights (and some Mini-Maglights) around.

I like the Idea of an LED based light...but don't want to too much $$$$$ to put a LED in the Scorpion or Mag Lights.

I also want to mount a flashlight on an M-4gery...I don't want to spend $$$$ to get the uber tactical mount and light...just enough to have a reliable light that will hold up to occasional use on the end of the rifle (not go into combat overseas)...besides, my Terrified Screams will probably drive off any intruder before I had a chance to shoot anyway...(the rifle does have a vertical foregrip if that makes much difference)

So, my questions:

Weapon Light...use one of the lights I have (Scorpion, G2 or 6P)..and add an LED (which one)?
Which mount? (also, which switch would you recommend)?
If not the above...what do you recommend I get instead?

(I own a few handguns...but none with rails...never floated my boat).

Replacing the Incandescent heads with LEDs (even if NOT used as a weapon light)...what to look at for the Scorpion, G2, 6P and D cell Mag Lights?

I have seen positive reviews on the Malkoff LEDs...but at $55 x 5 lights, then it gets a bit pricey. If they are far and above the others..then it's worth it...however if they are only a little bit better for a lot more $$, then probably not.

Finally....I've seen (on the Malkoff Website) 8 Degree CREE, 20 Degree CREE, etc. What is most practical as a hand held light (general purpose and....{{{Sorry, I really hate to use the term as I don't want to come across as a poser...but it's the simpliest explanation}}}..Tactical use?

Thanks for any answers!

AFARR

AFARR

Newly Enlightened
One additional question (thought)....
I'm likely to put an AA Cell (probably an EoTech) red dot type sight on the rifle. Are there any good AA based flashlights that can be used as weapon lights?

Thanks!!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
A malkoff M60 (throw) or an M60F (flood) in your 6P would be your best bet for a rifle mounted light. You can either get a Z49 or a Z59 clickie (maybe more practical for a weapon light), or an XM07 for a tape switch. Just post a "Want To Buy(WTB)" in the marketplace on any of these items, and you can save a few bucks off retail. Viking Tactics makes a good off-set rail, but if you want it in-linewith the barrel, check out GG&G/Botach Tactical/Buffer Technologies. Malkoff's are definitely woth all there money, and are thought by most to be the best LED Drop-in's in existence. Oh, and :welcome:

For your second post, CR123's are the way to go. More power for the weight, don't leak, and 10 year shelf life.

Last edited:

AFARR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info...good to hear on the Malkoffs.

I did see a sale on the Malkoff 20 degree light (I think the regular was listed as 8 degree)...any problems with using the 20 degree vs. the 8 degree (or Flood)?

Thanks again!

DigMe

Enlightened
Command Arms Accessories makes good, low-cost mounts and switches. I mounted a standard G2 using their 1" mount and their G2 tape switch. Malkoff is about as good as it gets quality wise but there are tons of other P60 LED dropins. Check the P60 dropin sticky thread at the top ofthis forum.

brad