Surefire KL2 mods

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
I am a newbie, and I got some newbie problems. :confused:
I recently acquired a SF KL2 which I plan on modding, I want to remove the stock 19 LED modules and put in a LF D36. Yes I have done my research, I cannot find a bezel removal tool and I've tried the boiling water method.

I did the boiling water method to remove the plastic lens ring. No luck... after 10 minutes in the water, the bezel got really hot but the ring will not moved at all. I attempted several times, all I did was mess up the plastic ring and slightly scratch the lens. :scowl:

Any advice is appreciated.

1wrx7

Enlightened
SF loves their locktite. Try heating it several times. Sooner or later the sealant will break free. I've used a blowtorch to do the job, but with the platic bezel ring you need to be carefull with the torch. Also once you've opened the KL2 and removed the stock guts you'll find an aluminum base inside that you'll have to mill out. There's an opening in the base/ledge off to one side thats only about a third of the size of the head. With the mill at my work opening it up wasn't hard. It can probally be done with a dremel tool. The contact area in the bottom of the head unscrews from another base that also unscrews from the head. While trying to get that part out of mine it sliced a 3/4" long by 1/4" deep gash into my thumb... be careful:tinfoil:

I know the D36 modules can be used with the M3 style head, but I haven't seen anyone try it with the KL2. I hope it will fit.

I just re-read the first paragraph and I hope it makes sense. Once the bezel ring is off taking the rest apart isn't too hard, and you'll see what I mean about the rest of the internals. Good luck and happy modding.

CSI304

Newly Enlightened
Resurrecting this thread..

Anyone has any experience fitting a D36 drop-in unit into a gutted KL2? Is this even possible? :poke:

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
D36 in a Z46 bezel is a five min job with RPM's bezel tool. Your KL2 sold in the marketplace would bring enough for two Z46s.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're still set on opening the KL2 try a combo of boiling and freezing it. The plastic ring should contract faster and more so than the metal head with freezing. Works for me on most loctited stuff.