Solarforce L2 + DX MC-E drop in

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Ive heard this is a great combination, and for the price you cant beat it. I like how the MC-E is more of a flood, and the L2 is a nice looking flashlight. Just making sure im ordering the right parts.

Flashlight: http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforc...-Switch-all-Black-Type-2-Anodized_p_2629.html#http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13844

Drop in: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21037

Do I need anything else? Will this work with a 18650 battery? How is in the install? Would like to see some beamshots if anyone has any. :poke:

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried that DX MC-E. It's on the cooler side with a donut. You better wrap it with alu foil for better heatsink because it's going to get real hot. And yes, it works with 18650. :)

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just piping in to say that you will like this combination. The L2 is nice and rugged for cheap and that MC-E drop in has a very nice floody output. If you like, also consider adding a throwier XR-E drop-in to increase the versatility down the road.

You can adjust the reflector a bit to work the donut, but it's not very noticeable at all in normal use. Do add some foil though, and don't run the high mode continuous unless you keep your hands on it all the time to dissipate the heat. The "low" mode is still very ample and has good run time as well.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
How would I wrap it with aluminum foil? Just use glue? Is there a DIY anywhere? Also do the solarforce hosts come with a lens or does the drop in have one? I dont mind the donut hole, but am almost contemplating spending more for a Malkoff M60F, although its more expensive and has less output... Is the solarforce drop in better than the DX? Its only about 10 dollars more and advertises 350+ OTF lumens. Dont know if it has more modes though... Suggestions? :whistle:

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would I wrap it with aluminum foil? Just use glue? Is there a DIY anywhere? Also do the solarforce hosts come with a lens or does the drop in have one? I dont mind the donut hole, but am almost contemplating spending more for a Malkoff M60F, although its more expensive and has less output... Is the solarforce drop in better than the DX? Its only about 10 dollars more and advertises 350+ OTF lumens. Dont know if it has more modes though... Suggestions? :whistle:

As Rizky has shown, just wrap a strip of alu foil around the drop-in before insertion. No glue needed.

If you have the budget, it's preferable to get Malkoff MC-E instead. Or any of the Malkoff's for that matter. The design of the drop-in has the best heatsink (brass) and beam profile (optics) AFAIK.

Whether Solarforce's drop-in is better than DX's, I think Jake can answer that. :rolleyes:

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Well im going to be ordering the solarforce host from that one website a few posts up. Just trying to decide between the DX MCE vs Solarforce MCE vs M60F.