damaged U2A

iapyx

Enlightened
Hello, advice needed here.

Yesterday I was riding my bike on my way back from kindergarten.
One kid on the front and one on the back.
It was dark, just like our Bernie says in his signature: it's darkest just before it's pitchdark. And then suddenly a black dog (Labrador) crossed the bike path. Impossible for me to brake, so I hit the dog and fell with my two kids of 1,5 and 3,5 years old. Lot's of crying from the youngest one, but fortunately the oldest one had nothing and the youngest one has a scratch/bruise on her head. The dog owner didnt' do a thing. No helping hand, no offer to help. Of course I was very very angry with him for not having his dog on a leash. I had to ask him for his address although he didn't want to provide any proof of it. Anyway, later at home I found out that the head/bezel of my U2A had been scratched as you can see in the photos. Of course I will ask the owner of the dog to pay for a new light, but I doubt if he is civilized enough to pay.

Do you guys have any advice for me?
Would it be an idea to contact Surefire CS and ask them if there is a way to replace the bezel? I'm willing to pay it...

Here's the damaged U2A:
DSC_0817.jpg

DSC_0815.jpg

ps. happy halloween to the US based cpf'ers here.

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sand down any pointy bits, cover the rest with black sharpie, and you're good to go. I think it looks sexy now.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
you were lucky.

id say get a different light.

you didnt see the dog, you need a light with more flood.

if you continue with the same light, next time an unleashed dog is out and about, your destined for another incident, and this time it could be much worse

regardless of the stupid dog owner,

if you ride a bicycle with 2 small children on it, its your responsibility to ensure their safety.

get a more floody light and ride more slowly.

not what you wanted to hear im sure.:party:

mg pli should work for you.:candle:

id also be tempted to go looking for the irresponsible dog owner one night, to *educate* him about responsible dog ownership..

Last edited:

iapyx

Enlightened
you were lucky.

id say get a different light.

you didnt see the dog, you need a light with more flood.

if you continue with the same light, next time an unleashed dog is out and about, your destined for another incident, and this time it could be much worse

regardless of the stupid dog owner,

if you ride a bicycle with 2 small children on it, its your responsibility to ensure their safety.

get a more floody light and ride more slowly.

not what you wanted to hear im sure.:party:

mg pli should work for you.:candle:

id also be tempted to go looking for the irresponsible dog owner one night, to *educate* him about responsible dog ownership..

Thanks guys for your input. It's very much appreciated.

Waddup, you're right about the safety of my kids being my resposibility. I'll slow down my speed and be more careful next time. I think that's a natural response after an accident.

As far as another light like you suggest: I wasn't using my U2 as it was in my pocket. So it's not an issue to get a light with more flood. Strange thing is that there is absolutely no scratch on my jacket. It's an Arc'teryx Theta AR jacket which is very durable.

The place where the accident happened was in a city park and it was lit although not much. I did see the dog, but this happened all so fast. The owner of the dog was not walking near to his dog. Besides it was an asphalt bike path. A spot where dogs should not be walking around unleashed.

I expect all sorts of answers. :) That's why I asked your advice.

PS. went to the dog owner. He doesn't feel responsible for the damage to my light and bike. I will leave it like this and forget about it. Probably found an excuse to buy another light.

Thank you all!

Last edited:

seale_navy

Enlightened
well, seems like its the dog owner fault to have his dog jumping in front of your cycling path all of sudden.

legally, it seems that you might be able to bring a tortious claim against the owner under the notion of "duty of care". If I were you, what I do is the send a letter to him about the incident and you bring such an action just to intimidate him a bit.

If he still doesnt wanna pay, you could just leave it there, since u have nothing to lose. If he does pay, then it will be a hooray isnt it.!!