Newest LED bulb info

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Hey guys - I'm brand new to this and am blown away by how fast the technology is updating.

I recently stumbled across an article about SSC P7 bulbs saying that they can produce 90 lumens per watt ... is this accurate?

Is that the most efficient and powerful led out now? Is there like a "latest technology" thread here that updates us on the latest advances?

thanks

rick

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, check out the LED sub-forum. That will tell you all you need to know.

The Cree XP-G is the current most efficient, at ~135 lumens per watt, @350milliamps. However, it's maximum output is limited to ~345 lumens.

The SST-50 and 90 LED are capable of producing 2000+ lumens, but are not very efficient, and produce lots of heat. They also have very high forward voltages, 20V> as opposed to ~3.8V for the P7/MC-E.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
LEDs at lower currents can easily go over 100 lumen per watt. The most efficient might be a Cree R2 bin LED at a low drive current (around 20 ma) and the brightest, the SST-90 can get over 2000 lumen and I think Phatlight has a quad die version of that LED.

The SST-90 is a single 3x3 mm die from what I remember, so it should have a Vf similar to other white LEDs, just needs much more current.

:welcome: